Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) Reviews

January 19, 2017
-THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS-
The very first time I was about to watch this film, I had a good idea of what it was about going into it but surprisingly, it turned out to be so much more. As I watched it, I saw that this film has a great story, great characters and great animation. Also as I was watching it, I had a real sense of emotion and although you're told at the beginning that the two main characters (Seita and Setsuko) are dead, you really want them to make it through this but as their situation gets worse, you start to have the same feelings as they are. My favorite scene in the movie is the ending where the two siblings are on a bench in the spirit world looking over modern day Japan, the reason being is because after all the hell they have been though, they are finally in peace and its a really touching scene. Overall, Grave of the Fireflies is a Anime masterpiece, it has great focus and story and it shows that Anime is more than cray hair or superpower. It's decently not just one of the greatest Anime Movies, but one of the greatest movies period.
½ January 14, 2017
Japan, World War 2. Teenage boy Seita and his young sister Setsuko are left homeless and effectively orphaned when their city is firebombed by US bombers. They end up living with an aunt. Initially things go well and life seems almost normal again. However, their relationship with their aunt deteriorates and Seita and Setsuko decide to leave and fend for themselves. They find a place and things seem to be going well. However, over time food gets scarcer and life becomes a constant struggle for survival...

A quite powerful examination of life among the civilian population of a nation at war. More broadly, this is a story of survival and the bonds between a brother and sister, made stronger by a cataclysmic series of events. The war is just the setting, and the initial cause of the events - at its core it's a human drama. This is good, as the movie could easily have gone down some sort of bleeding heart anti-war path or even a path that condemned the US bombing of Japanese cities in WW2 (which would have been absurd as the Japanese were just reaping the whirlwind after sowing the wind).

Incredibly engaging. You are emotionally invested in the lives of Seita and Setsuko, their struggles and wins, highs and lows. This makes the conclusion very emotional.

Superb animation, though you would expect nothing less from director Isao Takahata (director of the TV series Heidi and Maya, amongst others). Some of the imagery is stunningly beautiful, like watercolour paintings.

On the negative side, and probably the only reason I didn't give this a 10/10, the outcomes are a bit telegraphed. The conclusion would have been even more powerful and emotional if we didn't know in advance what it was going to be.
January 11, 2017
"Grave of the Fireflies" successfully portrays the heartbreaking reality of war and the destruction of the family unit with beautiful animation and a talented voice cast, though the devastating plot is very hard to swallow and will likely leave you feeling depressed for days afterwards.
January 6, 2017
Excelente y sumamente triste.
January 2, 2017
Sadly beautiful. The story is heartbreaking, but you don't want to miss a second of it. Tears will build in the eyes of those who have a heart and get caught up in the story. Studio Ghibli strikes again by making a captivating story that will have you from the beginning until the end.
½ January 1, 2017
While the animation is very good, I just couldn't get past how much I hated the story that was being told. I found the main character to be so useless and outright stupid, that watching the tragic events unfold only made me angry instead of sad. I am in the minority, but I just think that this is an awful movie.
November 29, 2016
This work follows a brother and sister trying to survive in Japan near the end of WW2. It walks a very careful line as it begs sympathy for Japan (through the eyes of innocence, of children) for a war that they initiated. The close relationship between the children is certainly moving and effectively works to engage sympathy, but I couldn't help but wonder for say similar children, say of Nanking for instance. A tough watch.
November 26, 2016
No matter how many times I watch this animation movie, this is heartbreaking every single time.
½ November 13, 2016
A very moving story of an orphaned sister and brother trying to survive in 1945 Japan. Reminded me a bit of Forbidden Games.
October 21, 2016
Finalmente! Studio Ghibli sendo perfeito como sempre.
September 2, 2016
A nearly flawless film that explains the horrors that war wreaks on innocent bystanders. But it will depress you for a full week, minimum.
August 27, 2016
One of the greatest anti war movies of all time. Needless to say, a relentless tear jerker.
August 25, 2016
Bu kadar iyi bi film olacaÄ?ını hiç tahmin etmezdim. Mutlaka izleyin!
July 31, 2016
Stunning movie. There is no villain, there is no hatred for either side of the war, there is only a brother and sister trying to survive through harsh times. This will have you emotionally invested and you will cry. It's not your average animated flick where there's a happy ending: Grave of the Fireflies takes its subject matter very seriously and properly conveys the human condition, and just how hard things are in war.
July 30, 2016
Puntaje Original: 8.0

Desgarradora, profunda. Hotaru no haka nos muestra uno de los lados más crueles de la guerra con una obra maestra que sin duda conmoverá hasta a los corazones mas duros.
July 13, 2016
Possibly the most powerful and effective war movie ever made. The fact that it's animated allows you not to be distracted by physical appearance of actual actors and only serves to heighten the emotional impact of the story as it progresses.

This is the type of movie that everyone should see at least once.
July 10, 2016
Depressing but compelling story.
July 6, 2016
If this movie doesn't make you cry, then no movie ever will. Gripping anti-war piece that depicts in the saddest way possible how it effects those in the midst of war.
June 19, 2016
grave of the fireflies is a testament of what a good animation can do to your emotions. It's emotionally draining and as the fate of characters is revealed to you in first 5 minutes of the movie therefore the dread multiplies tenfold with each and every scene. Now just to paint a picture imagine first ten minutes of up(the pixar movie) and multiply it by 100.That is the intensity here. It pushes boundary on what animation is perceived to be...
A Required viewing for any movie lover.
May 23, 2016
Very depressing. A rare film (an animated one, mind you) that seeps out such overwhelming sadness--shadows of black over a canvass of beautiful but war-torn childhood innocence. Getting teary-eyed on this won't be surprising.