Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) Reviews

December 27, 2015
Schon die Anfangsszene verrät den Ausgang der Geschichte. Jedoch ist dies dramaturgisch gut eingesetzt, da es den tragischen Verlauf des Lebens der Geschwister um einiges verstärkt. Man sieht sie, man kann es nicht anders formulieren, beim Sterben zu. Als sie dann stirbt (und dies dann im Off kundgetan wird), und sie eine Feuerbestattung erhält, kommen einem unaufhaltbar die Tränen. Und um Seita ist es auch schon geschehen, da er den einzigen Lebensmittelpunkt, den er noch hatte, auch verloren hat ..
Der nächste tränenreiche Schub kommt natürlich mit der letzten Szene...einerseits ist sie traurig, andererseits freut man sich auch

Für mich ist "Grave of the Fireflies" die beste Produktion aus dem Hause "Ghibli", ein richtiges Kleinod, der den unzähligen Opfern eines Krieges ein Gesicht verleiht und es ist ein Film, der nicht scheut die Wirren des Krieges drastisch darzustellen, ohne plakativ oder sensationslüstern zu wirken.
Unbedingt einschauen, Taschentücher bereithalten. Er wirkt auch Tage danach.
December 7, 2015
forgot watching this is almost like watching the end of the Green Mile lol
December 6, 2015
While it is undeniably well-made, it didn't have quite the emotional impact on me as I thought it would. Perhaps it's because everything that happens is completely inevitable? I did like it's simple, realist tone though, and some scenes are beautifully staged. The voice talents for the kids are superb.
December 1, 2015
I love Not-4-Kids animated movies, like these one.
November 27, 2015
This is an intimate look at the costs of war and it is even more devastating when told in this beautifully animated format.
November 25, 2015
Heartbreaking. This made a grown man want to cry. Superb, but I don't think I can bring myself to watch it again.
November 11, 2015
I challenge you not to cry.
September 26, 2015
Lie down. Try not to cry. Cry a lot. D':
September 24, 2015
A brutally soul-crushing film with an unbelievably beautiful message. If you don't cry by the end of this movie, you probably aren't human.
½ September 11, 2015
95%
Watched this on 11/9/15
Misinterpreted by the US critics (for satisfying themselves) as an Anti War film, Grave of the Fireflies is a vivid account on the atrocities committed by the US on the Japanese people and about the shameless Japanese society that prepares itself to welcome the US after it's nation has been defeated. The film remains extremely patriotic towards it's nation (and reason why I believe it's no anti-war film) and even the director expressed that it has no anti-war message. The story is instead of that of a brother and sister(both kids) and their relationship. The character of Satsuko is always memorable and would stick to my heart. Fireflies manage to render it's emotional story without much of the unnecessary melodrama and is heartfelt.
½ September 4, 2015
I had no idea what this movie was about, only that it's from Studio Ghibli. I definitely did not expect it to be so depressing. I saw it last weekend and I still can't get over how awful it made me feel. War sucks.
September 1, 2015
It's a very sad any beautiful movie and show's how war is a awful thing and should be stopped cause it tortures both side's both themselves and the enemies
August 30, 2015
Not only is it the greatest antiwar film I have ever seen, it is also the most depression and saddening. Beautifully handled, this tale never once feels manipulative, as you truly connect with these characters.
August 25, 2015
a movie that evokes a single emotion does a good job at making a statement. it does not make for that great of a movie, though. grave of the fireflies is a sad movie, and not much more than that.
½ August 24, 2015
One of the most saddest films I've ever seen. Makes me want to see "Letters From Iwo Jima" again.
½ August 20, 2015
I really don't have anything else to say about this film beyond "immensely overwhelming".
August 18, 2015
One of the saddest movies I've ever seen, but it is truly a masterpiece.
July 27, 2015
This film made me feel empty inside after watching it, and I loved it. It's incredibly and shows the harsh reality that citizens face in war
July 26, 2015
One of the best animated movies that I have ever watched. Very sad but tells a good story
Bradley T. Johnson
½ July 22, 2015
Probably one of the saddest movies of all time, Studio Ghibli's aching testament to the effects war has on innocent people. Perhaps the real emotional impact of the film becomes more evident when one ponders it for a while after watching it. The two main characters are so likable that when their world literally crumbles around them, one feels their loss. With a riveting final image, Grave of the Fireflies presents itself as a sad but necessary film. Rating: 88