The Hottest State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hottest State Reviews

½ September 18, 2015
How cool and self aware this picture feels about itself is totally unwarranted.....pretentious piece of crap.
½ October 10, 2013
The folksy music assists the storyline with mood and emotions that compliment the actors as they expound the script. Naturalistic acting gives an overall sense of the complicated web of the mind as it seeks to comprehend the beauty within a relationship. Softly acted, bringing forth many thoughts and emotions as the heart breaks. Nibbles: Carrot cake and butterscotch sauce.
½ January 13, 2013
A játékid? egy jelent?s részében ez töltötte ki a gondolataimat: "Zzzzzzzzzzz..." A maradékban pedig ez (ahogy a f?h?s verg?dését elnéztem): "Mi a f@sz bajod van neked???"
½ December 28, 2012
let it be, and leave the past behind you....that's all. I know it's hard but all you gotta do is move along, move along, even when your hope is gone move along...
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
September 26, 2012
never read the book, but the dialogue and the acting was excellent...kinda odd seeing Ethan Hawke play father to a twenty-one year old character...looking forward to seeing more of the actress Catalina
September 16, 2012
Realistically captures the anxieties of first love and heartbreak.
½ February 29, 2012
A slow, sultry movie that actually reminds me a lot of Tennessee Williams.
December 17, 2011
The acting was suburb and long cuts were made the film seem more realistic. The story hits me quite hard and I can relate to the William character because I am/was in the same shoes as him, almost to the tee. The film felt so real to me, at times I almost feeling what William was feeling, which is really quite rare while watching a movie. They may have dragged on the first half a bit much, I would have liked to have seen more of the resolution and growing William went through. All in all, excellent movie.
December 11, 2011
April 7, 2011
I really wanted to like this. Seemed like a great story and I always respect when an established actor ventures into other art. Ethan Hawke wrote a novel then adapated a screenplay and directed it. Maybe this is a case of his prior work getting in the way.

There are some great shots. That is the best thing about the movie...the shot of the guy with a cigarette and baseball bat in his room after meeting the girl. The shot of him watching her in bed. There are some later but nothing quite as good as those. The shots, along with some decent music in the beginning, had the movie heading in the right direction.

A lot of people don't like Moreno as the lead female. Maybe she is fine. Webber may also be fine. It's hard to tell if it is the actors, the characters, or the writing that bothered me. I think it is the writing as the characters didn't do the things I thought real people would do, and they certainly didn't say real things. As I mentioned earlier, Hawke's earlier acting work includes the talking films Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Those movies are nothing but talking for 90 minutes but manage to work. There is a lot of talking in this movie but often the chemistry and dialogue are lacking.

In the end, I think it's a bit too pretentious. Near the end, the guy yells some Shakespeare at her window (I think it is Romeo and Juliet and in a bit of humor, a neighbor actually says, "Shut up, Romeo" and it is funny for someone to recognize it), but who really does that? It's just too movie and working too hard for emotion. That and all the music. In the beginning, it set a nice tone. By the end, it was just too much, virtually never stopping. Again, I think with stronger dialogue, it wouldn't have needed masked with music. But some hot scenes, some great shots, and who in the hell painted that gunfighter picture early on in the bar? I sure want a copy.
½ March 6, 2011
Actually, i do find really interesting these attempts to mend the gap between hollywood love and real love, but this movie still lacks something.
November 17, 2010
Very Ethan Hawkesque, but not sure what they want to say, what the message is...
½ November 5, 2010
Well, I think this movie was dynamic and true to reality, that's for sure. I really connected with the main charecter a lot, I understand his pain. The only downfall was that this movie was kind of boring, but I loved the mothers. I'd love to have a mom like either in the movie.
½ October 26, 2010
While watching the movie you may not be sure how you feel about it. But afterwards, you may just feel like you got out of a bad relationship and need some Prozac and Red Bull to get you going again.
½ October 22, 2010
The message becomes clear towards the end of the movie: no one really cares!! This movie somehow manages to kill the optimist within you, which might feel that family could be lesser sarcastic and materialistic than this...
October 15, 2010
A horrific/gorgeous/ridiculous Ethan Hawke wet dream that gets shallower and more hysterically artificial the more it reaches for transcendence.
citawijaya
October 11, 2010
Well, I was expecting more from this.. maybe somethinig that will come close to Before Sunset/Sunrise.. I was excited at first to see the movie's style but it eventually it was not as good as I expected.
September 11, 2010
0 stars. WHAT A CHORE!!!! The best characters, surprisingly enough, are the types: the no-nonsense mother, the deadbeat dad, the skanky ex, the fiery soon-to-be mother-in-law. The main characters, William and Sara, are supposed to be the non-types, the free spirits, the quirky, lovable nomads, but they're so whimsical that their reasons for love and their reasons for anger lack development.

The thing is, this uneasy quest for love must have been "real" and "emotional" and "heart-rending" for Hawke - I'm assuming it's autobiographical. It HAS to be. Who can make up such crap? And that's the problem with the real, angsty life stories. They're only interesting and special to those who live through it. They're usually crap to everyone else.

I dig Hawke's short film, Straight to One, in the special features. It better captures the "what do we do now" moment after an impulsive romance.

One line I did like, "I want you to fucking appear!" Mark Webber's delivery of the voicemail-from-hell is quite tragicomic.
September 9, 2010
Good, not great. Ethan Hawke has a real talent, though.