Reviews

• Oct 16, 2018

Four years ago, it was a huge deal when this two-part miniseries aired on the history channel. After fighting King Kong and the predator, Adrien Brody appeared to have fallen off the face of the planet (with the exception of that BUDAPEST movie) and then all of a sudden HOUDINI appeared on all the cover of TV Guide. Twenty-three award nominations sealed the deal, so I burnt it to DVD and decided to watch it 1,363 days later \0/. In short, HOUDINI is exactly what's expected from a quality made-for-TV-movie. It's a 174 minute compelling biography about the prominent performer's illusion acts and his lesser-known life history of debunking spiritualists while being a World War I spy. It's 2014, so expect the usual substandard production attributes that come along with a lesser-budgeted project. However, the film was nominated for twenty-two awards and won a primetime Emmy, so amusement is nearly assured.

• Oct 21, 2017

In this biopic, Erik Weisz obsesses about magic and turns his obsession into gold with melodramatic results. While his escape artistry skills are still impressive 100 years later, it was the music that thrilled me, even though it was completely modern and should've felt reasonably out of place. The Houdini's had a stressful marriage, but it seemed like inevitability returned them to one another rather than giving any insight into their decisions to stay together.

• Jul 19, 2016

More of a dramatized documentary about how Houdini did his tricks than a movie. Still interesting, though, even if it couldn't be more anti-climactic.

• Jul 17, 2016

Houdini a 2 episode that I finished watching now on Netflix. All about Houdini's rise and life marriage magic ties with the governments and everything in between. The strange part of this series was the strange kiss on the mouth his mum would give him all the time. I was taken back by it a tad. The miniseries was good covered all basis and what he managed to accomplish during his lifetime. He only lasted 52 years quite young. If you are a fan of Magic and how tricks are actually done and it covers and shows you the tricks of the trade. I would say this movie is not for the young ones its dark in some places and has some adult themes that may not be suitable for the younger audiences. If your a fan of Magic watch this you will be amazed and see what is hiding behind the curtain of the greatest magician of all time.

• May 09, 2016

It's good but not great

It's good but not great

• Jan 22, 2016

Very well done story. He led quite an interesting life. On Netflix currently. Not necessarily a feel-good story, though he did have some admirable traits and achieved some pretty amazing feats.

• Nov 03, 2015

another lost review MFing flixter!!!!

another lost review MFing flixter!!!!

• Aug 23, 2015

Brody was great in this and the history was fascinating. I didn't even mind the liberties that were taken with the story because it was very well done.

• Jul 06, 2015