Hour of the Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hour of the Gun Reviews

½ July 15, 2016
The Wyatt Earp story after the Gun Fight at the OK Coral. It had that late 1960's early 1970's Western Feel. Not a bad Western. The kind of Western I grew up watching.
July 13, 2016
Had not seen this one before... very good!
July 13, 2016
good sequel 2 sturges' 'gunfight at OK Corral'
November 21, 2015
151121: I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Classy, older western with a unique look at what occurred after the gunfight near the OK Corral.
½ October 9, 2015
Not a bad take on the aftermath of the OK corral. It was serious though and not for the light hearted. Garner was strong.
½ April 1, 2014
Ironically, this movie opens with the claim that it was a true story and exactly how it happened.

Yet, the gun fight did not happen at the OK Corral, but in a vacant lot on another street, and when Jason Robards as Doc claims during the post fight court hearing to have killed many men while in the Civil War, Doc was 9 when the war began and 13 when it ended.

Those, among other major errors, make this movie entertaining, but anything but true!
March 3, 2014
Great character study.
January 12, 2013
The first three minutes is the gunfight at the OK corral. The rest is "the story exactly as it happened," according to the large message at the beginning of the movie. It certainly contains more lawyers than most other tellings. Director John Sturges reacts to the changing times a bit, I think, in that he makes things a bit more gray; Earp lets his more brutal nature out while Doc Holliday assumes the unusual role of moral compass. Still quite old-fashioned in its violence, which is almost bloodless. Garner and Robards are of course excellent.
½ December 6, 2012
The movie depicts Wyatt Earp and the life after the gun shooting at Tombstone. I felt like the film was filled with many different actors known. I felt like the acting felt flat and didn't feel really invested in the characters. I felt like the characters and the film was so serious that it was missing out on the humor.
November 3, 2012
A film which admirably aims to re-write history with a compelling character study much less focused on heroism. The film however lacks drive and impact.
½ June 3, 2012
Interesting take on the Wyatt Earp legend, which tells the story of what happened AFTER the Gunfight at the OK Coral. Garner is solid as the stoic Earp, but is unfortunately not all that engaging of a character. Robards, however, is stellar at the loyal and morally challenged Doc Holiday. The other highlight for me is the excellent Jerry Goldsmith score. However,considering the cast, the director and writer, I'd have thought this would have been a classic, but it's merely an above average western. Still, it's very much worth watching.
February 27, 2011
Excellent western- Be sure to check it out on HD Movie Net
½ September 25, 2010
One of the most decent works by John Sturges, only bested by The Great Escape. Hour of the Gun is an entertaining picture. However, it has its flaws and parts where the action lacked excitement. Sometimes I didn't feel Wyatt Earp was really seeking revenge. A Kind of weird sensation. The movie is good thanks to James Garner and Jason Robards, whose performances are charming and portrayed a genuine friendship.
September 4, 2010
So-so take on the legendary Wyatt Earp and his partner Doc Holliday. Works as a sequel to "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral." Unlike every other Earp movie, the gunfight starts at the beginning and the story begins from there. Fresh take on the overdone character.
½ July 25, 2010
A more somber film than Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. A very different film altogether actually, but I find it interesting to compare a given filmmaker's coverage of a historical event, if they did it twice (a la Mankiewicz). I like Garner and Robards, but I don't know that they work all that well together. While I think the film is interesting, it's not altogether enjoyable. Some segments, however, are very good, and I think the writing is really top-notch. Perhaps Sturges was just a little too laid-back at this stage in his career. It supposedly hews closer to history - I guess I prefer the version that "printed the legend."
½ June 3, 2010
Other riveting, based on the story of showdown between the Earps and the Clanton gang s certainly as much a part of American mythology as I believe this since I last watched 1994's Wyatt Earp.
There are solid performances all around, beginning with James Garner who plays a hero with a badge, and is powerful in his intensity. And Jason Robards Jr. is quite good in his character, and does deliver a couple of colorful lines to Earp. The relationship and chemistry between the two men is unique. It's difficult to outline, but it's like these two were old souls who would go through hell with/for each other and never need to wonder or to argue it.
deano
½ May 30, 2010
½ April 1, 2010
Westerns are of marginal interest to me -- but part of this was filmed in Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico and so I watched it to see if I could identify any locations. Since the film was released in 1967 and I lived there forty years later, I strongly suspect some of the desert scenes were filmed where shopping malls and huge housing developments are now located. That said, it is a well-produced and acted western. James Garner and Jason Robards, cast as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday respectively, provide solid performances. If you're a fan of westerns, this one will satisfy.