The Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hours Reviews

June 8, 2015
Interesting film--powerful examination of unhappiness and the pursuit of happiness. But it's really the train station scene between Virginia Woolf and Leonard Woolf that sends a message and may, in some cases, hit close to home for people.
½ May 26, 2015
It may bear significance to those struggling with depression.
May 25, 2015
Fascinating movie that has amazing acting performances as well as amazing noses. It was very interesting how the stories were connected and how decisions made in one time period affected the other. I also loved how there were almost identical shots in each time period like the placing of the flowers or the breaking of the eggs. A very well made movie with great acting and directing.
½ May 9, 2015
The acting was great but that's about it..
May 4, 2015
Doomed(kurai), boring...don't know why it's high rated
½ April 4, 2015
The beautiful score, stellar cast and artistically seamless scene transitions are what bring this movie to life. At times it's too 'literary' in its approach with dialogue and/or character interactions that are too strange or vague to seem believable. What won me over was how cleverly this complicated film was strung together.
½ March 22, 2015
No connection to the characters. Boring af
March 10, 2015
An amazing movie, with a heart gripping message. It's three lead roles are astounding and phenomenal in each of their roles. The story is solid and captivating, i was the edge of my seat the whole time.
March 10, 2015
Michael Cunningham and Philip Glass. A match made in heaven.
February 12, 2015
Slow-moving but not uninteresting. Not simple-minded. Super performances. Also refreshing is how some of the characters are gay yet the situations they deal with aren't related to their sexual orientation.
February 11, 2015
It's a great pleasure to watch performances of such great acresses in one film, especially in such difficult roles of troubled people.
½ February 7, 2015
This is one of the most profound, honest, and hauntingly beautiful films I've ever seen. Kidman perfectly mimics Woolf. The Hours weaves a complex tale of the seemingly intermingled lives of complex women, all dealing with various internal crises at significant points of their lives. The film brings to attention the meaning, importance and preciousness of life, even when you fail to agree. Delicate, yet strong.
February 6, 2015
Based on the 1998 novel by Michael Cunningham, and directed by Stephen Daldrey (Billy Elliot (2000), The Reader (2008) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)), this is a compelling drama set over different time periods but all interconnected in a unique way, 2 of the stories are connected by the work of the real life subject in the third. It's a thoughtful film, and it has a very good cast to it's name. In 1923, Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) writes Mrs Dalloway in her home in the town of Richmond. She has suffered several breakdowns and is bipolar, and she feels like a prisoner in her own home. In 1951, Los Angeles housewife Laura Brown (Julianne Moore) is married to Dan (John C. Reilly) with son Richie (Jack Rovello), but she is unhappy in her marriage and she finds solace in reading Mrs Dalloway. In New York in 2001, Clarissa Vaughan (Meryl Streep) lives the life of Mrs. Dalloway, preparing a party in honour of her former lover and friend Richard Brown (Ed Harris), who is dying from AIDS, and is receiving a major literary award, but Richard isn't happy. It's a bleak film on the surface, all the stories are connected with the theme of suicide, but it's still very compelling, and the trio of actresses on display all give powerful performances, Kidman won the Best Actress Oscar for playing Woolf, but it's a shame her career has taken a downward turn ever since this film.
½ January 21, 2015
a very compelling and powerful look at people's hidden emotional states. great acting and well put together. i love the scene especially were toni colette visits the housewife and they do this facade then expose their emotional selves but then revert right back to the facade.
jjnxn
½ January 21, 2015
Really fine acting from all but how could the academy justify giving Kidman a Best Actress Oscar for her contribution here. At best she's supporting and both Streep and Moore are better than she is.
January 17, 2015
Three outstanding acting performances.
January 9, 2015
OK, but not great. Takes a while to get going, is filled with superficial melodrama and ultimately isn't overly profound. Still, the Meryl Streep-Ed Harris storyline is quite moving, and makes the movie worth watching.

I am not a Nicole Kidman fan, and this movie didn't change that. I always found her characters so prissy and pretentious, and this was no exception. She certainly didn't deserve her Best Actress Oscar (though there wasn't much competition in the 2003 Oscar year).

Ed Harris and Julianne Moore got Supporting Actor/Actress nominations for their performances, and Harris' nomination was well deserved (he lost out to Chris Cooper, in Adaptation). Meryl Streep should have at least gotten a nomination for her performance.
January 1, 2015
This another 5 star movie as this is truly a very gripping movie to watch. It may not be for everyone as it is a little on the depressing side, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of either Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman as they all turn in Oscar worthy performances and I think to my knowledge Nicole Kidman won for this movie as rightfully deserved as she definitely plays without a doubt probably the most disturbed and tragic character in the movie. All three of these actresses in this movie are suffering in some way or another, but my mom who always has great insight said to me after watching the movie that the movie was really showing how tough women use to have it back in the world and since the movie takes place in three different decades 1923, 1951 and 2001, you get to see in each decade how women didn't really have a lot of freedom they do when the movie keeps flashing back and forth between the decades, but it's really now that I am thinking about it though that when we get to Meryl Streep's storyline in 2001 we see how far women have come in order to show they have the same rights as men do and that we must never forget that women at one time didn't have rights at all and that is the important message the movie makes especially with Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore's storylines because men expect women to be a certain way and be happy with what men provide their wives or partners, but sometimes that just isn't enough for women. Women want to be just as independent as men and they have every right because without them, men don't exist. The movie I will say is a little hard to follow especially with Nicole Kidman's storyline as you really have to try and think what her purpose was in the movie because I couldn't really place how her storyline is connected to the other story lines in the movie, but like I said before thank god for my mom because it I probably would not be giving this movie as much praise as I am giving it because her storyline is the one that shows how just how unhappy she was with her current situation in life and that it was through her unhappiness that she realized that in order to be happy she needs to do what's best for her and not what is expected of her, as that is the case with all of us in life, but it's through Kidman's storyline that wee see that it doesn't pay to be miserable, you got to do what's best for you and just keep moving forward. I got that in a picture with Johnny Depp smoking one of his cigar cigarettes that he smokes and it truly made a lot of sense when I read it because the world is filled with assholes andvery unhappy people who love nothing more than to bring people down in their misery and I feel sorry for those people because it doesn't pay at the end of the day. All it shows is how bad you hurt people because your not happy with your life and you have the opportunity to change your life and if you choose not to that all on you. Our cleaning lady Janice told me that one day when we were talking about careers and the choices we make in life and she told me people might look down at her because she cleans houses, but she told me she loves it. It pays her bills so what does she have to complain about and she actually enjoys doing it so why be miserable? Just do what's good for you and no one else, you can be kind and help other people out, but you need to take care of yourself at the end of the day there's no shame in that. Just don't be too selfish because we all have to live in this world I feel just from my job experiences that not everybody, but some people in the work force are looking at any chance to get one up on someone just so they can be the next manager or boss at their job and those are the people you got to watch out for cause those are the snakes in this world that Karma, which I truly believe in, will take care of them in life at some point. I like to think of it as God saying "I have had enough of your bullshit and you need to change for the better." But what I'm really getting at is that we are in a time in America where we should be working together, but it just feels that we are working against each other and that is just wrong. But hey that's the world unfortunately, but getting back back to the movie I will say this another movie where I felt everyone brought their A game, especially Ed Harris who I truly feel is such an underrated actor that I hope to God he got nominated for Best Supporting Actor in this movie cause he was truly, TRULY great in this movie. I felt he had such a presence in this movie that I can't even begin to describe, but I will say it was a surprising performance by him and that is probably why I am at lost for words right on how to describe his presence in the film as I feel Ed Harris is always great in everything he does and that is why I am happy to say he is officially one of my all time favorite actors right now
because he can act man, he can TRULY, TRULY act and this movie certainly proves it.
January 1, 2015
December 8, 2014
The true star of this film is Jack Rovello, who would later go on to star in the legendary short film, "Socks & Robbers."