House of the Living Dead (Curse of the Dead) (Doctor Maniac) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of the Living Dead (Curse of the Dead) (Doctor Maniac) Reviews

April 13, 2016
Right off the bat, I previously had no idea that South Africa made any horror films, so, simply in that, I learned something.

Over a long career (1968-99), this was one of only three cinematic works that director Austin made (all in the early 70's)--usually he did TV work--and in fact, production value-wise, it seemed like made-for-TV fare. Basically a vineyard/plantation with black, witchcraft-practicing slaves, and the owner harbouring a dark secret: A genius twin brother, who was discredited in the medical community to begin with, and then, since an almost-fatal brain injury suffered in an accident a year ago, basically insane and confined to the mansion's attic.

It was decently made and, as late-night fare, perfectly acceptable. It could have been made a lot better in more capable hands. The underlying ideas were very interesting, though only decently carried out, and the climax was completely predictable, though no less enjoyable. I got my copy very cheaply, in Mill Creek's 50-pack 'Nightmare Worlds', and it's watchable, no better, no less.
April 13, 2016

½ May 20, 2013
Slowly paced with little story, but the climax is decent enough. The character's aren't entirely awful, but they're not too interesting. The plot can be confusing and silly at times. Overall, forgettable but not shotty.
February 25, 2011
Having to sit through an hour and ten minutes of drab, mind numbingly dull cinema, just to get to fifteen minutes that were actually interesting doesn't make for a movie worth seeing.
½ January 21, 2009
poor quality dvd. Bad colours and the soud goes up and down. It's really hard to see 'night scenes' and sometimes to understand whole lines from the actors,! I liked movie. A '800que horror it's good, some voodoo or magic rites are on the air, and there is a caped killer (a lame one) and a mad doc around!
Beauty Mary Anne arrives in Africa to marry Michael. Mom of Michael she tries to beware her, to send her back home, there is an accursed story of crazies in that Family. A good Doc warned Mary Anne of the danger of that House too, but Mary Anne wants to marry handsome blonde Michael.
Good scary moments in plantation and nightmares for Mary Anne ! Some people is ferociously killed. The grande finale: an organ it plays all alone and the madness it arrives, a totally madness.
½ December 19, 2008
Il y a bien une maison, mais je cherche encore le mort-vivant !
Passe cela, House of the Living Dead se laisse regarder, malgre un rythme tres lent et une histoire pas tres accrocheuse.
Toutefois, le metrage se rattrape grace a quelques scenes bien fichues, en particulier vers la fin.
August 21, 2008
this scientist dude transfers his brain into his brother's body...and there's murders and stuff...but oddly enough, none of it is really all that entertaining. oh, and don't be fooled by the 'house of the living dead' title. this film ain't nowheres close to being as good as them night of the living dead films, dawgs. word.
½ February 26, 2008
wot a lod of SHIT how eva made this is a cunt u r all DICKS