House at the End of the Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House at the End of the Street Reviews

October 31, 2015
Such terrible scene writing and unbelievable plot points.
October 19, 2015
Great movie. Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. A horror movie with a twist.
½ October 1, 2015
A generic, derivative and stupid Psycho rip-off that doesn't mind insulting the viewer's intelligence all the way through, and it throws in a ridiculous twist that makes no sense and makes it more than evident that no one involved gave a crap about it.
½ September 2, 2015
One could only hope that Jennifer Lawrence was at least well-compensated for wasting her talent on this sad, lazy attempt of a suspense-thriller. As the film goes on, it becomes more and more apparent of just how hopeless its screenplay is, with its absurd plot-twist (that is still somehow painfully obvious) and dull execution. And Max Theriot displays less charisma than Hayden Christensen, let alone anything to provide even the slightest chill.
August 3, 2015
Horrible at its finest, The House at the End of the Streets provides a crappy storyline with Jennifer Lawrence being the only positive aspect of the film
½ July 25, 2015
There are a lot of rip-offs that I have seen since I started watching movies. House at the End of the Street is one of them.

Seeking a fresh start, newly divorced Sarah (Elisabeth Shue) and her daughter Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) find the house of their dreams in a small, upscale, rural town. But when startling and unexplainable events begin to happen, Sarah and Elissa learn the town is in the shadows of a chilling secret. Years earlier, in the house next door, a daughter killed her parents in their beds, and disappeared - leaving only a brother, Ryan (Max Thieriot), as the sole survivor. Against Sarah's wishes, Elissa begins a relationship with the reclusive Ryan - and the closer they get, the deeper they're all pulled into a mystery more dangerous than they ever imagined.

Like I said, House at the End of the Street is a rip-off. O f what you might ask? It is a rip-off of Psycho (with a spice of Twilight)-- except it has no suspense, a familiar plot, dumb characters, and predictable plot twists. House at the End of the Street is one of those films that is so lazy and derivative that teenage girls today will enjoy. I say that because they are the type of people that enjoy Twilight. Speaking of that, this movie is a crossover between the Twilight saga (if you want to call it a saga) and Psycho (not that the teenage girls know about it).

Most of the performances in the House at the End of the Street are average to below average at best. The only person who somewhat shines is Jennifer Lawrence obviously. Elisabeth Shue was average while everyone else (including Max Thieriot) was bad. However, I wouldn't blame them because the script is so awkwardly bad that it doesn't give them nothing to do except be stereotypical characters.

For a movie that suppose to be a horror film, House at the End of the Street devoid of any type of scares. And for a movie that suppose to be a thriller, it is devoid of any type of thrills. The first reason that this film is not remotely scary or thrilling is because the director and the writers decide it would be a good idea that they want to put cheap jump scares into the film. Another (and main) reason that why the film is not scary or thrilling is because it is extremely predictable. When I watched the film, I knew what was coming from beginning to end.

Another thing that grinds my gears with House at the End of the Street is the characters. Not only they are stereotypes but the decisions they make are unbelievably stupid-- especially toward the end. Plus, I really didn't care to begin with because they are so foolish. Not just that, they are some of the most unlikable characters I have seen all and in 2012. For example (spoiler alert if you did not seen the film), there is one scene the Thieriot's character gets beat up and get his house set on fire by some unruly boys. Another is, there are some scenes that Lawrence's character talking back to her mother-- which goes absolutely nowhere.

With all that being said, House at the End of the Street is an uninspired film almost in every way. Why almost? Because like I said, Lawrence shines in this film. Unfortunately, she deserves so much better than this and so do the rest of the cast. It not just that the film is uninspired, it is unsurprising, dull, and boring as can be. What makes me hate (pun or no pun intended) this movie is that I just watched a film with a sluggish pace, dimwitted characters, foreseeable plot twists, and a pedestrian plot. Unless you are a teenage girl who like these things, please skip House at the End of the Street. It is not worth your time. Oh about that title, it is one blandest, dumbest, and most idiotic titles I have ever heard and seen.
July 14, 2015
This was pretty weak. Story was a bit weird, and a bit of a cliche. Single mom on hard times moves bitter daughter to a not so nice house and then is never around so they argue blah blah blah. and the neighbour is a killer. yawn
½ June 28, 2015
Actually liked this one. Wouldn't have been as good without JLaw, who almost single-handedly gave this movie cred.
½ June 9, 2015
I quite enjoyed it for the most part, but as soon as the brother lost it it became crap in my eyes. Shame as it is such a hot talented cast. Lame.
June 7, 2015
Suspenseful movie with some surprising plot twists.
June 4, 2015
Every great actor always picks one terrible movie they'll never be able to take off their filmography. For Jennifer Lawrence, it's House at the End of the Street....
May 25, 2015
This movie is terrible. I just had to let that out before writing this review it doesn't deserve.
House at the End of the street is a mess. First of all, it's not scary. If I counted how many times I jumped, or felt creeped out, the number would be an outstanding 0. There are literally no jump scares. You could tell they tried, but it was so clichéd that you knew when it was coming. The music would start up and it would stop. Then it came.nso, it didn't really scare me. Well, if there were no jump scares, surely they have great suspense and a creepy feeling you have. Wrong. I just wanted it to end.
2nd of all, you could tell it was made for money. Think about it. Putting Jennifer Lawrence in a horror movie, since she was just big in the hunger games, and then.... Well that's it. That's the only highlight of this movie. It's Jennifer Lawrence in a horror movie. Wait no. It's Jennifer Lawrence in a Drama and romance film. Ya it's basically love gone wrong.
There's really no good character development. They really get into Jennifer Lawrence's character, but everyone else your like "Oh ya, she's in that movie too."
The premise is interesting. For once, we don't have a crappy possession movie! But by the end of this movie, you wish you had gone to that possession movie instead of this mess.
Overall, End of the street fails to live up to expectations. It's not scary, clichéd, badly plotted, and overall junk. If you don't believe me, I'll say this. It's not even worth watching on Netflix for free.
May 9, 2015
I was forced to sit through this. (31%)
May 4, 2015
A very generic teen thriller that should be more thrilling than it its
½ April 17, 2015
Another slasher movie. Some critics called it bland but they are jaded. Anyone sensitive can feel just scared enough. It has a reality feel. I liked the not quite linear storyline. Talking about storyline, the end explains some and confuse more. Even if we adhere to the preposterosity of it (for entertainment sake), some of the logic needs more explanation. At least, we have some originality and compexity in the denouement, which was nice. Plus, no one is quite all right and no one is all dark, even the psycho. Most characters are intelligent enough to root for. There should be more of these films. I suggest Prisoners by Villeneuve, for more depth in the captured theme. We've all been prisoners in our youth.
April 13, 2015
56% on my Tomatometer.
½ March 24, 2015
Toda estrella de Hollywood que se precie de serlo (con y sin Oscars) tiene por lo menos una cinta de suspenso/terror intrascendente en su filmografia. La rubia Jennifer Lawrence evidentemente no sería la excepción. La casa de al lado es probablemente el tipo de películas que te encuentras un miércoles en la tarde mientras haces zapping en la televisión, no tiene ni un solo elemento original (si es que hay lugar para ese termino), ni tampoco se perdería nada si un día desapareciera de la faz de la tierra. Como entretenimiento para una tarde/noche con la pareja podría funcionar, y absolutamente nada mas.
March 11, 2015
Horrible. This is Jennifer Lawrence at her worst.
½ March 9, 2015
It's pretty ordinary stuff in the main that you've seen before if you like this genre, but I did like the twist towards the end.
March 7, 2015
i want to see this too lol