The House of Mirth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House of Mirth Reviews

January 8, 2012
Beautifully made but ultimately based on a source with a heavy moral message about equality that sort of honks at times. I prefer my polemics a little more subtle.
December 28, 2011
Dan Aykroyd's manner of speaking threw me off....so deliberate
½ December 10, 2011
Painfully sad and tragic. Conveyed here by showing the conventions of that time. Gillian Anderson is wonderful.
rubystevens
½ October 7, 2011
it's a bit stiff in the execution and the bulk of it's power derives from wharton's novel: a woman of independent ideas is crushed by the 19th century. gillian anderson well deserves all the praise; however eric stoltz and dan ackroyd just seem odd in this setting. i cried a lil bit. love costume drama. i'm such a girl :P
July 10, 2011
Bad, in the totally-doesn't-understand-how-to-adapt-a-book sort of way. ADAPT. Adapting a book actually requires more than taking all the dialogue, throwing it at actors in period costume, and filming the results as a play, cut with establishing shots.
½ June 10, 2011
Strong story, but constantly depressing period drama. The casting for each role feels wrong too.
June 8, 2011
Took a while to get over Gillian Anderson doing period drama but I think she was excellent. Put me off reading any Edith Wharton though.
May 10, 2011
It's slow but radiant and shocking. Gillian is stuning. Can't add anything more, it just left me without the words.
½ May 2, 2011
Gillian Anderson is a perfect Lily Bart, because we realize that though the narrative is ostensibly centered on her, her blandness really lets the supporting cast shine (particularly the Lovely Laura Linney!).
½ April 29, 2011
A painful story to see unfurl.

Its made an even more heart wrentching story by a strong performance by Gillian Anderson.

The rest of the cast holds up as well
½ April 8, 2011
Society...it's hard to live in it and even harder to live outside it!!!! Spectacular movie, smart lines, great cast!!! Gillian Anderson deserves an Oscar for this role!!!
March 15, 2011
delicious wicked mean & nasty
½ March 14, 2011
painful and brutal but presented intelligently. excellent all around cast as well.
February 23, 2011
Weirdly TV-ish at times, but extremely well-acted by a perfectly chosen cast.
½ December 29, 2010
Disappointingly dull.
November 27, 2010
Never watching this one again. Mirth in the title is complete irony.
November 21, 2010
I think the team of Merchant-Ivory could have done a better job of probably adapting Edith Wharton's novel. I have heard this described as the original Sex and The City.
October 8, 2010
Prententious and in-your-face in order to show those who are pretentious and in-your-face how sad and ridiculous they are. This is masterful filmmaking on a micro-budget with a wonderful cast of actors making up the list of characters. It can leave you breathless if you are really following along and it will also leave you saddened and heartbroken for Miss Lily Bart (the excellent Gillian Anderson -- of TV's The X-Files). Convention once ruled everything and a few brave souls tried to dare it. I think it is just as relevant a story today as it would have been over a hundred years ago with its origin.
½ June 17, 2010
So boring. After 20 minutes I had to shut it off.
April 20, 2010
This movie should have won an award- especially for costumes or set design. I LOVED this movie!