House of Pleasures - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Pleasures Reviews

½ December 25, 2012
I found the movie to be rather weird but it did stay on my mind for a while and even invoked thought.
366weirdmovies
November 30, 2012
Dreamy drama following the travails of a group of prostitutes in a belle epoque bordello. It's slow, extremely sad (the main character is permanently disfigured by one of her clients) and features some unsuccessful stylistic gambles (a montage set to "Nights in White Satin"), but it's also a beautiful-looking, elegant and moving film with believably scarred characters.
November 13, 2012
Even though the film is beautiful in a cinematographic way, the story is nothing more than pure lustful cruelty upon the female sex. It is one of the most horrible subdued stories of one of the oldest professions, no human should be subjected to these horrible crimes, yet sadly it happens everyday and it will continue way after my generation is gone, because in reality when it comes to reality check, we are worst than animals.
October 24, 2012
This is certainly disturbing & not for the kiddies... but I found the cinematography mesmerizing. The lighting has to be some of the best I've seen, and the acting is brilliant.

I don't agree with the music being out of place, but it was a bit of a jolt. The only thing I'd critique in this splendid work is the length. It could have been cut down a bit.

So glad I stumbled upon this fine gem!
October 16, 2012
excellent film! I only wish someone would give m the tracking listing to the soundtrack... fin-de-siecle Paris never looked so lush, the nostalgia, the anti-Semitism of the time (surely the mentioning of the Dreyfus affair & Madeline's disfigurement was no coincidence!!). So very well done.
October 9, 2012
A masterpiece and surprisingly shocking at times. Very well done.
October 4, 2012
A very interesting tale of each woman in the house of pleasures!
½ September 29, 2012
The aptly titled, original French name for the film was House of Tolerance. I hate translations. Anyway, House of Pleasures is graphic and disturbing, but remains a beautiful and poignant film that examines the evils of prostitution without being judgmental, via the relationship it develops with the women. Bonello is a genius and intend on watching anything else of his I can get my hands on.
½ September 23, 2012
Simply put, it's a beautiful film. Costuming, make up, the cast, and set design is nothing less than absolute perfection. A pleasure prison.
September 15, 2012
An interesting period drama that showcases the appeal of prostitution, while not glamorizing by any means either. Some weird cuts and imagery help the film's atmosphere too, although I could have gone without the anachronistic music.
September 11, 2012
My favourite film of 2011. Lush, beautiful, emotional, captivating, brilliant.
September 11, 2012
Nobody makes sex as boring as the French.
September 8, 2012
House of Tolerance want see this movie
September 4, 2012
If this movie aimed to convey the atmosphere of boredom of working in an early-20-century Paris whorehouse, it has succeeded.
August 30, 2012
Sick what man can do to a woman if he pays for it, movie about how prostitution in high class brothel got released on the street ..but it's the same sad story, dealing with same problems...
½ August 28, 2012
Movie Gem of the Week: Belle Epoque from the perspective of a house of reputable and upper class prostitutes. Well done and entertaining. Beautifully filmed.
August 27, 2012
An hauntingly poetic film that shows a deep respect for its setting and characters. The way the director manipulates time and space throughout is an astonishing achievement of narrative deconstruction and reconstruction. It is deep, compassionate, hopeful, and devastating. This is one of the most powerful films I have seen in a long time.
August 15, 2012
Bonello's stylistic sexiness hides his anger and political issues as teasingly as the prostitutes tout for commerce in their frilly French knickers. Hypnotic cinema.
½ July 5, 2012
House of tolerance. House of pleasures. Pleasures for whom? The clients, a.k.a. the lewd men and those perverted rich people? The madame, a.k.a. the pimp? The whores? And who should tolerate who?
June 29, 2012
Stylish and beautiful. Bonello is quite skilful at building his claustrophobic atmosphere. The best feature of the film is that it avoids misogyny and comes across as un-exploitative, though it reserves its few visual shocks.