The House of Rothschild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House of Rothschild Reviews

October 24, 2015
Rewatched this film from pre_WW II, and although I know it was quite Hollywood, it was a Hollywood of a different time and watching over it is really a great classic.
August 19, 2014
Who is George Arliss? Talk film with anyone, newbie fan to longtime devotee, and see who mentions him. Nobody. And yet he was something of an auteur in his day, respectable as a bank and better thought of. This is the first thing I've ever seen him in, the kind of thing he was most known for, historical bio-pics.
And its an unusual bit too. A film about banking? Are you kidding me? And Jewish bankers no less? In a positive light? Talk about flying in the face of public perceptions! Wake me when it's over, okay?
And yet: objective achieved. Because of George Arliss, class, humanity, distinction, purpose, he's the hub from which these qualities flow to and through the whole piece, a benevolent fatherly presence that's believable.
I was impressed.
½ August 6, 2014
Dear Rotten Tomatoes pls get ur fact straight it's 1934
July 5, 2014
Interesting look at the Rothschild financial dynasty during the days of Napoleon. Well done although some liberties were taken. Originally created to battle anti-semitism. Love the early use of Technicolor.
October 18, 2013
In my opinion this is a hidden gem from the thirties that doesn't get a lot of airplay but probably should. It is one of the first looks at anti-semitism on film and is a great history lesson as well as a great film.
February 9, 2013
Entertaining on many levels.
July 26, 2011
I think it's at least worth a watch.
½ April 15, 2011
Great acting and script. Karloff did not really shine but the grandeur of Arliss did. It is difficult now to make the story of a banker into a hero but I guess they were different times.
February 20, 2011
What a moving, wonderful story (if maybe somewhat lacking in the veracity department)! Oddly enough, I came across this on youtube, where it had been posted by a nazi as evidence that jews are evil. But... the movie, if anything, is total jewish propaganda. So I wonder what movie he thought he was watching...
½ February 8, 2011
Mayer Rothschild is a humble financier who is rather successful at making money, only he is a Jew and forced to live a life of mistreatment in the German empire. He has five sons whom he teaches to depend on one another. The years pass and the Rothschild sons have become among the most successful banker in Europe, one son occupying a post in a major European city. Nathan Rothschild (George Arliss) in particular is in England and has with his brothers assisted in bringing down Napoleon. Despite this, he tries to give a large loan, but is declined because he is a Jew. Later, you know all the Jew-haters will get their comeuppence and perhaps Nathan will learn a lesson along the way as well. The film hammers it point home continuously - it seemed like the phrase "because I am a Jew" had to be in every scene in the film! And for some reason George Arliss felt compelled to loudly smack his lips prior to speaking just about every line of dialogue which became excessively annoying. And there is the obligatory love story... But nevertheless, there are handsome production values in the making of the film and it certainly still looks good.
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it was nominated for best picture at the oscars
½ March 1, 2008
There is a lot of dialog in this movie that was hard to understand. There is much talk about banking and stocks, but if you look at the time period, this is actually a good thing. This movie explains the stock market to movie goers during the great depression, so they could possibly understand what is going on. THe acting is pretty good, and Mama Rothschild is hilarious with her "Jewish Humor." A very political movie, and it may turn some people away, but it is a classic and very enjoyable.
February 13, 2008
It suffers from a slight overly-important tone like so many studio era biopics do, but the acting makes up for it, and the production values are excellent.