House of Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Strangers Reviews

March 24, 2017
Possibly the only film noir I couldn't like in any way, except the actors' perfomance.
October 20, 2015
As the movie opens, Richard Conte is just out of jail and he goes to confront his three brothers who have taken over the family bank after their father died. Conte is angry and the brothers are defensive. He next visits his girl, Susan Hayward, who tries to convince him to leave New York for San Francisco. He refuses and retreats to his old house where a long flashback begins. In this flashback, we meet the father, played by Edward G. Robinson in stereotypical but convincing Italian drag (complete with mustache and accent). He is tough on his kids and he runs his bank loosely, charging lots of interest to the poor people in his community who nevertheless seem to like him and respect him. As the 1930s begin, however, there is reform to the banking laws and Robinson is caught out. Only Conte fights for him as the government moves in, as the other sons feel that their father has only belittled them over the years. The drama is well played by Robinson and Conte but most of the others are lacklustre, save for Hayward who shines in a rather dispensable role. On the edge of noir, but not quite in the genre - worth a look.
½ February 24, 2015
gr8 cast makes this one go
March 29, 2014
Interesting movie, clearly an inspiration for The Godfather as has already been said. Very cynical movie, also very Italian.
½ February 15, 2013
This one has given me one of those stupendous movie-watching experience.Edward Robinson is a Treat to watch along with other supporting casts.
Though I dont like the courtroom scene being over-dramatic to justify ER's character or whatever.The ending started to be predictable in it's uncommon approach,but at last it crossed all the limit!
September 28, 2012
More like a stage play than a film, I found this film strangely riveting.
½ September 6, 2012
Solid classic story of the morality of three brothers and their parents.This one surprised me with how much I liked it definitely recommended Edward G Robinson gives a great supporting performance
July 30, 2012
Susan Hayward is awesome in this
July 24, 2012
A dark and sombre story about forgotten family values and what it means to double cross one's own father. This noir movie shows a great character study, with the top notch performances by the whole cast, especially by Edward G. Robinson and Richard Conte. Mankiewicz did an amazing job of directing this gangster tale about loyalty in the sense of brotherhood, and how one man is able to stand aside, in order to save his family and the business that it's build on.
November 3, 2011
Italian American Banker/Patriarch(Edward G. Robinson) tries to control his grown sons(Luther Adler, Richard Conte, Efrem Zimbalist Jr,& Paul Valentine) , but they double cross him by taking over his illegal business when he goes to prison for his banking practices.Typical portrayal of Italian American Immigrants and their offspring in the 1940's that includes Ambition, Crime, Morality Struggles,Sibling Rivalry, & Love versus Loyalty to Family.Susan Hayward plays the Love Interest of Tony(Efrem Zimbalist) that makes him want to make it on his own,in New World ,Legal ways.Quite Good
½ July 27, 2011
It's so great to stumble upon a really solid noirish melodrama now and then. Richard Conte ftw
½ July 3, 2010
Classic noir about an immigrant family destroyed from within by its tyrannical patriarch, Gino Monetti, played by Edward G. Robinson. Three of his four sons work with him at his bank and suffer in silence as he berates them, until they turn against him and his favorite son, a lawyer played by Richard Conte, who goes to prison after his father is found to have broken banking laws involving high-interest loans. When Conte gets out of prison, he seek revenge. Great noir cinematography of the Monetti house that mirrors the suffocating monmania created by Gino Monetti, as well as good acting, plot progression, and dramatic finale make this a worthwhile noir.
½ April 2, 2010
First of all, the fact that Fox is billing this as a "film noir" is really a stretch. There are some noir elements, but they're pretty sparse. It's mostly just your average family melodrama. Second problem... mamma mia! Edward G. Robinson plays a ridiculous Italian caricature with a ridiculous Italian accent. He-a talk-a like dis! It's really painful. Third problem: Richard Conte. I like Conte, and he seems to be doing the best he can with the role, but the character is all over the place. You feel like you're supposed to be rooting for him, but he's kind of a dick. Then he just magically has this epiphany at the end. That doesn't cut it with me. I enjoyed the basic plot and the bitter tone, and there were some fine examples of nice framing... otherwise I was disappointed.
½ January 21, 2010
This movie is awsome. Period.
½ June 11, 2008
Edward G Robinson to me is one of the most versatile and consistent actors of all time. As usual, he is excellent. This is a heavy drama but certainly an excellent film in all regards. Excellent direction and writing.
August 26, 2007
This movie was amazing. Solid acting all the way around, especially Susan Hayward and the tragically under remembered Richard Conte (watch his films!!). I also enjoyed seeing a young young young Effrim Zimbalist Jr as Conte's weaker brother. Each character showed tremendous depth. I loved the interplay between the brothers leading up to the surprising and nail-bitting climax.