House of the Damned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of the Damned Reviews

½ December 9, 2013
I was drawn in by the cool poster, but never again! This film was horrible! I'm just glad it was short. It tries to set up an intriguing story and some scares and all, but then it gives you a twist that just makes it all fall flat. Severely disappointed me.
July 31, 2012
An epic title: House Of The Damned. A creepy poster. A surprising year: 1963. Some surprisingly eerie visuals. A genuinely intriguing plot. These things are what drew me into the first 55 minutes of this film. I was impressed. Sure the acting was only so-so, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it might be. And sure the plot slowed to a near stop near the middle of the film, but that, in itself, is forgivable. What, then, drove me to exit this film with such utter dislike? What was it that makes this otherwise forgettable picture stand out, in a bad way? Why do I even bother reviewing it when countless other horror films from this era have received a rating but no review from me?

Because, my dear, dear readers: This film has the absolute WORST, MOST DISAPPOINTING ENDING I have ever seen. And that, my dear readers is saying something.

I LOATHED the ending of Superman, was left aghast as the ending of A Nightmare On Elm Street, was completely confused by the ending of The Haunting Of Molly Hartley, laughed myself into a coma at the ending of Jaws The Revenge, and rolled my eyes and shook my head in despair at the ending of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, BUT I have never been so shocked and disappointed by a film's failure to live up to the expectations it cast out to lure me in.

Perhaps it is my fault to trust a horror film I had not heard of from the 1960s. Perhaps it is my fault for wanting more out of a film with a title like House Of The Damned. Perhaps it is I who it to blame for getting my hopes up on a movie I had no prior knowledge of. Perhaps it is me who should not be so quick to judge a movie that had a quite-decent first acting, a relatively interesting second act, and a plot-line that was, indeed, starting to captivate me by the time one of our heroes goes tragically missing. Perhaps I should never have expected a movie to be worth watching just because of a few eerie, other-worldly images that popped up from time to time.

Or, perhaps this was simply a lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame film that got lucky entirely too early in its runtime.

***Warning: Here There Be Spoilers***
It's circus freaks, and they didn't want to hurt nobody, gosh darn it.
***

What a complete waste of my time.

4/10
December 22, 2010
Okay horror film, but the ending is not satisfying and is not actually a horror ending at all. The circus folk are cool, but if you want to see a great horror movie with sideshow circus performers, check out the amazing "Freaks" film which was made in 1932, it will blow this film away and leave you shocked.
March 25, 2009
I get it's from the 60s, but this movie sucked it hard. No wonder no one in it moved on.
January 17, 2009
Worst. Ending. Ever.
½ December 17, 2008
Decent old time spooky classic, worth seeing.
December 9, 2008
House of the Damned, what the hell? My grandpa in THIS movie?! No absolutely not. This is not his style of films, he was in Cat from Outer Space not a HORROR FILM! WHO do we go to edit these?
½ November 22, 2008
Seriously, the female lead can't act. Sometimes it sounds like she isn't sure about her lines. He is fine though, he sounds confident telling his lines. Sometimes her acting is downright annoying. She sounds like a 5-year old when she says "Scotty! The door moved!"
Their characters were completely un-interesting and boring, they had no personality what-so-ever.

I think this movie moves at a slow pace, it's your typical "spooky moments" horror movie, it's old, so I guess at the time it was very cool, but nowadays you are so used to getting spooked 49 times before something actually happens, so the movie is really boring at first, especially since you are stuck with the female lead. Guess who is always alone when spooky things happens?

Another problem, the "spooky" things didn't seem scary at all. Like they find the keys somewhere they didn't place them - OMG!!!! I AM SO SCARED!!!!! HOLD ME!!!!
Come on, really, you've seen it so many times before and in this movie it's hardly scary.

I didn't watch this movie because I thought it would be good, I watched it because Frieda Pushnik was in it. And I got to see her, so I was satisfied. Although it was only for 1 minute...

Out of 62 minutes, I enjoyed 3,5 minutes. And yes, I was counting them.

At least the movie is just an hour long, so my suffering didn't last longer. This movie was terribly boring, it was basically 98% talk, because the actors don't do anything special, they just talk.

***SPOILER WARNING***

I did like the ending though. It was just so random and weird. Sideshow freaks in the basement. ^^
½ September 5, 2008
Its not as good as it looks!! Dont look at the DVD cover and think about how good it looks and take it home with you. its not a good film! It has some good things but not enough to pay money to see it.
½ March 7, 2008
This movie was very lame. It had a good plot. But the acting was bad, there wasn't that much suspense or thrills, and the ending twist was terrible.
March 4, 2008
Hilarious! I loved it. Yes, it was a terrible film... but in the best possible way.
February 24, 2008
It has it's moments early on...but the ending really kills this movie. It's ok...at best.
December 8, 2007
This is really old,so I have my doubts.