The House of the Devil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House of the Devil Reviews

½ September 16, 2017
The House of the Devil is a slow burner and won't be for everyone, especially if you like your horrors to be more visual than atmospheric.

The film starts with college girl Sam (brilliantly played by Jocelin Donahue) looking for work in order to pay the rent for her the new house she is about to move into. She finds a note for babysitting work and takes up the offer from the rather creepy Mr Ulman that inevitably leads to a night of terror. Stylistically, the film is a masterpiece. It's made to look like a horror from the 70's and 80's not just from it's setting but down to the aesthetics including the opening and end credits. The tension is built up through the clever use of music making every little bump seem just that bit more threatening.

As enjoyable as this is though, it's held back from greatness by being just that bit too slow. For a film of just 93 minutes, it really needed to get going sooner. As a result, this leaves the ending feeling a bit rushed. In spite of this, if you like your slow, atmospheric horrors, The House of the Devil is well worth a watch.
½ September 8, 2017
Despite the slow pacing of this film, the very best part is the hard work they had to put into making it look like an 80's film. Everything seems right on point and you'll get a kick out of it if you were around during that era. The pizzeria up to the walkman will remind you of a time where cell phones and e-mails weren't such a necessity as they are now.

The acting in the film is fair, however you may find the corky Megan played by Greta Gerwig (Arthor) a funny interest that gives the film a much needed comedic warm up. The film tries hard to give you a tuneful scare and though you may get a shock value during the watch, it falls short when you're looking for it to come again.
½ September 2, 2017
I'm kind of surprised this movie didn't do better. This starts off like a classic 80's slasher flick and then turns into something entirely different. I thought it was really cleverly done. It's not a cheap thrill movie, which might be what most people want. It's more of a thinking movie, though there's a lot of blood, too.
August 30, 2017
I respect The House Of The Devil's effort to build a film off of suspense rather than cheap scares. However, apart from Donahue's portrayal of Samantha, the characters feel one dimensional and under developed. The payoff would have been so much more effective had the suspense been built off of more than just mindless exploration of an old house.
½ August 7, 2017
Ok unless you're a 50 year old horror movie hipster do not watch this movie. Everyone on here says it's amazing because of the way it is made but the plot is terrible. Nothing happens for 2 whole hours and within the last few minutes everything goes crazy. Then there's a "plot twist" that had no build up whatsoever it's very hard to understand what's going on in the end because there was no buildup for the past 2 hours.
July 11, 2017
Well directed and put together.
½ June 25, 2017
I don't think that I've seen a lot of movies that are quite like this one, it's very different from most modern movies. If you know horror genres well, you can definitely see that director/writer/editor Ti West isn't just trying to pay homage to the low-budget slasher/horror pics of the 70's and 80's, but actually trying to recreate them. And I'll hand it out to them that the film is actually good and it builds tension, slowly, but very well. And Jocelin Donahue was a perfect choice for the role of an innocent, clean-cut girl. It makes me want to watch more of Ti West's movies. Recommended !!
½ June 19, 2017
This film has a 70's early 80's Grindhouse feel.
Keeps you interested from the start.
June 13, 2017
I really liked this movie. The slow burn, plus the 80s movie vibe with today's graphics (and gore content) make it a pretty unique horror movie. Plus, the 80s music is delightful. I would definitely consider buying it, but it's normally available on a streaming platform.
½ June 9, 2017
Kudos to Ti West for making an effectively chilling and memorable horror film where more than a third of the run-time is spent with the protagonist alone in an old house. West masterfully builds the tension as the young woman remains oblivious to the pieces of the puzzle the audience is occasionally clued into. Many people don't like this movie because it's pretty much build-up until the last 10 minutes. While I understand this opinion, much of the build-up is so effective in providing an anxiety-inducing experience. We get a sense of who this woman is as we watch her roam around the confines of the house, coming up with ways to kill time. The main complaint I would have is that there should have been a bit more to the payoff. Everything goes crazy very briefly and I wasn't sure why the villains had to wait all night to make their move against her. While I do think the lead up to the action was very well done, I would agree with some critics of this film that the ending could have used a bit more substance instead of just turning into a blood bath.
April 12, 2017
Love the 80s horror vibe to this
Music not bad either
#oldschoolhorror
Worth a watch
½ March 30, 2017
One of the best horror films I've seen in recent memory.
½ March 11, 2017
A slow burning film with a retro aesthetic and a bloody climax reminiscent of 80's horror movie classics.
½ January 21, 2017
Ti West delivers a slow burning film full of dread, scares and paranoia. House of the Devil feels like it was made during the heyday of american horror and will hopefully be remembered as well as the classics of the era it pays homage too.
January 15, 2017
Very excellent throwback horror.
½ January 9, 2017
This indie little horror film was a huge letdown in terms of story and execution. The plot was way too thin and this could have easily been a 60 min movie, if it wasn't for all the time that is wasted on following the main character around the house and not doing anything of interest. I get what the director was trying to do in building suspense, but to me it was just too much. This is a throwback to the horror movies of the 1970's and 80's but no film that I have seen from that era was as tedious as this one. I have to commend the actors, they did very well with what little they had. The atmosphere and the time period in which the movie takes place were also pluses, I really like the credits in the beginning because they were made in that 70's font.
It is a shame because it has a very good premise but as I stated before it just takes too long to get the plot going and when it gets there the movie is over. One last thing the ending was just too far fetched and stupid.
JR Dela Pena
½ January 2, 2017
Simple plot. Less but engaging characters. A heavy, eerie ambience. A good revisited, grainy throwback that will take its to time to show its "claws" that precisely went down to slash-and-scratch into the right direction.

When it gets there, it does infact shoots up sheer terror to the extreme --- without even breaking the tension build ups. Tho there were some unnecessary scenes in the movie that if deleted, it wouldn't change a thing. It could potentially be a short slow-burn craft than elongating the movement of the character(s) doing stuffs. On the contrary, it is a movie that's worth the watch but not as much as worth the wait.
½ December 2, 2016
Ti West obviously knows the genre inside out, as he emulates the style and feel of those horror movies of the '80s with admirable skill (including the zooms) and spends a good time in the anticipation (maybe too long) to let apprehension and tension slowly settle in.
½ November 27, 2016
Somewhere between a 2.5 and 3
½ November 2, 2016
This horror movie proves that some slow-burn horror is not as effective as it ambitiously tend to be. Ti West should've made this as a short fast-phase film rather than elongating it as it seems like the character almost sales talk the audiences about the damn house. On the other hand, the film successfully delivered its aim - with sophisticating use of gore and intense fright fest - after all that unexciting built-up of anticipation. After all being said, YES, it's worth the watch but not as much as it is worth the wait.