The House of the Devil Reviews

• Sep 09, 2019

This movie was really boring. Easily one of the worst "horror" films I've ever seen. I don't see why anyone would give this a good review. It takes almost 40 minutes to even get to the house, first of all. It's just a story about a college age young woman with no personality outside of her walkman. And boy does she really lose control of herself with her headphones on, what a joke. Once she finally does get to the house, it's just her snooping around the place for another 45 minutes. Basically the movie was about the most boring cute girl looking around someone else's house. The entirety of the film could have comprised about 8 minutes worth of a youtube video. Nothing even remotely interesting happens until 12 minutes or so from the credits, and even that was poorly done. Seeing the ratings of this movie has officially turned me off of ever trusting reviews again. Not scary, not thrilling, barely even a movie, devoid of any significant personality or style. Pass on this. Don't even bother starting it.If you do watch it, just skip to the last 20 minutes because literally nothing remotely interesting or important happens before that point. Unless you want to see a screening of a woman pouting, eating, pouting, snooping, and just wandering around aimlessly. I actually signed up on here just to give this movie a review it deserved. If I could give it 0 stars, i would, because that's what it deserves. Cow farts are scarier than this movie.

• Aug 16, 2019

Amazing slow build...very effective horror film

Amazing slow build...very effective horror film

• Aug 16, 2019

Ti West pays homage to old horror movies with the style and approach he gives to The House of The Devil while also solidly crafting the two first acts with enough time for the characters to establish themselves, a tense and slow-burning narrative and setup that knows how to frighten and some spine-chilling scenes. Yet, when it reaches the third final act is when, for me personally, loses its magic that so effectively had been creating. It starts to feel messy, sloppy, and not so rewarding. The House of The Devil for sure has some smart and fun factors that make it pretty fun to watch if you're looking for something intriguing and that leaves you thinking beyond what is shown in the movie, but as I said, the lack of rewardingness after getting invested in the film is what makes this somewhat a bit dull and forgettable.

• Apr 28, 2019

10 years away from the hype, it’s still a slow burn, but I liked and appreciated it much more away from the hype.

• Mar 27, 2019

Very entertaining 80s-style horror that didn't hold up to a second viewing but left a lasting disturbance in the back of my mind.

• Mar 05, 2019

Another great modern horror movie.

Another great modern horror movie.

• Jan 26, 2019

No talking and the added grain made it look cheaply made

No talking and the added grain made it look cheaply made

• Dec 19, 2018

I'm sure the production team had a lot of fun with this feature, a pitch perfect recreation of a late 70s/early 80s "teenager in peril" horror film. Right from the opening credits, with bad font and freeze frame and the spooky synth soundtrack, those who remember the genre from when it was new will be tickled. There is a really really slow build as we meet Samantha (Jocelin Donahue), the babysitter hired by a weird older couple (Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov), and her rebellious friend, Megan (Greta Gerwig), with feathered Farrah hair, who drives her out to the upstate New York house. It turns out that Sam is meant to babysit Woronov's elderly mother rather than any actual baby - on the night of a lunar eclipse that turns out to be significant (the opening credits tip us off that Satanism is somehow involved). Of course, Sam is soon alone in the dark and quiet old house and suspense builds and builds. In fact, this is probably the point of the film - how long can the director (Ti West, who also wrote the screenplay) toy with us by offering false alarms, just bumps in the night? And then suddenly there is a burst of horror and the film rushes to its conclusion. Perhaps there is ultimately less than meets the eye but I personally felt satisfied - I don't need any drawn out gory horror but rather some indicative supernatural flourishes will fulfil me plenty. (We get a bit more than that). In the end, this is a showcase for directorial fetishism, I suppose, and it seems that Ti West's career in horror has been assured. If all of his work is "old school", I might be tempted to check more of it out (despite the low IMDb ratings).

• Nov 28, 2018

Slow horror movie is very, very slow. The 80's homage thing is taken a bit too seriously and just makes it feel weary and dated.

• Nov 12, 2018

Loved It! Homage to Old School 1970's Horror/Cult Films, and Hammer Horror. But, with a better budget, better technology, and better Fx.