House of the Long Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of the Long Shadows Reviews

½ May 24, 2016
good third act stuff from a trio of Hammer alumni
April 16, 2016
A film featuring the dream casting of Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Christopher Lee, House of the Long Shadows is an entertaining throw back to the classic films for which all three actors are known. Some issues with the story and the acting of Desi Arenas Jr hold it back from becoming a true classic.
½ January 9, 2016
'House of the Long Shadows' is a wonderful, underrated gothic horror gem that perfectly plays to the strengths of every actor: the hammy, melodramatic Vincent Price; the haunting and sinister Christopher Lee; the assertive and paternal John Carradine; and my personal favorite, the creepy, yet sympathetic, Peter Cushing. It's an entertaining little mystery-farce that also makes a perfect last hurrah for these genre legends.
½ October 20, 2015
It's supposed to be a comedy horror film, though it's not funny and it's not scary or creepy. It just sort of... is. It's kind of like Clue, only not as memorable and there's no mystery (although there is a twist at the end of the movie). The whole reason for this movie's existence is to see Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and John Carradine (four of the biggest horror stars of all time), but truthfully they're mostly underutilized. They instead take a backseat to Desi Arnaz Jr. I understand the screenwriters were probably trying to have a fish out of water character for the audience to connect to, but I think it's fair to say that horror fans would have preferred one of the horror stars filling that role, or finding a younger horror star to fill that part. Christopher Lee gets plenty of time and he's wonderful as always, but Peter Cushing has absolutely nothing to do until he gets killed off. Vincent Price and John Carradine get a bit of attention, but don't do much of anything. It could be because the three of them weren't in the best of health at the time and needed to slow things down, but that just makes things a bit more underwhelming. It's the kind of movie that should have been done in the 60s, but unfortunately we get this unfunny comedy with a predictable plot.
½ August 27, 2015
I know what the ending was trying to say, but it just didn't jive with me. The movie was actually pretty good but it had some flaws in the writing. It was nice to see Price vs. Lee but I wished that could have been a slightly longer scene.
½ December 22, 2014
Good Little Mystery Movie..
October 31, 2014
Could have been a great horror comedy with four giants of the genre - Lee, Cushing, Carradine and Price - IF they hadn't shot 80% of it in near total darkness! Long shadows indeed! Impossible most of the time to make out anything that was going on! The story seemed really good, as were the four kings of terror...when you could see them!
October 24, 2014
If you are a fan of classic horror films, this will certainly be a treat! It has Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, John Carradine, and Peter Cushing. Plus there several twists and turns throughout the film that keep you guessing until the end... The Force of Destiny resides in the House of pure nostalgia--A fun, non-pretentious reunion for horror's elder statesmen... Ooh what strange things happen in the night!!
June 27, 2014
With unique and historically important casting, "House of the Long Shadows" wasn't a film trying to be hip and failing dismally, it was a film knowingly 'out of time' and thus became an exception to the common rule of 80's Horror, and should be viewed as such.
½ May 27, 2014
The most poorly lit movie I have ever seen
½ September 23, 2012
6 greats but not that great. "piano wire, he must have heard her singing." the vitriol is a nice touch
July 10, 2012
One of the best classic horror films of all time. With all the great horror actors in this superb eerie movie..
½ June 2, 2012
Vincent Price was one of the only reason why I enjoyed this film. I don't think it was a horrible movie, it had some good parts.

Desi Arnaz Jr. (The son of the late Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.) is in this film. Peter Cushing also stars in this film. Many people will remember him as Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
May 29, 2012
While not the unsung classic you might expect with this cast: Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Richard Todd and John is modestly enjoyable on its own terms. Desi Arnaz, once voted the Most Promising Newcomer - Male at the 1972 Golden Globe Awards, is not a great actor. However, he is likable as a writer attempting to bang out a great novel on his type-writer by candlelight in the old Baldpate Manor. He keeps getting interrupted by the eerie appearances of the former owners who gradually reveal the horrible past of events that occurred long ago there. Hard to find, and apparently not widely available on DVD, but worth checking out if you get the chance.
April 30, 2012
In 1983 four of the aging icons of horror films appeared in a horror-comedy film that had absolutely nothing to do with a guy wearing a goalie's mask killing horny teenagers. John Carradine's roots in the genre went back to the 1940s and Universal's House of Frankenstein. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were both huge stars in the genre thanks to their work at England's Hammer studios on films like The Curse Of Frankenstein and The Horror Of Dracula starting in the late 1950s, and Vincent Price had been AIP's answer to Cushing and Lee in The Fall Of The House Of Usher and other gothic horrors. The careers of all these men had declined in the post-Night Of The Living Dead horror cinema but director Pete Walker decided to bring them all together in this rather old-fashioned "old dark house" horror film. Long unavailable on VHS, the film was released as part of MGM's "Special Limited Edition" DVD series. You ordered the copy from Amazon.Com and MGM printed up one for you. Now the film is very predictable, variations of this movie's plot have shown up in countless movies and TV shows and sometimes I half expected Scooby, Shaggy, and the rest of the gang to show up in the Mystery Machine. Though Carradine, Cushing, Lee, Price and veteran character actress Sheila Keith do a stand-up job (granted, Price was playing himself but no one else could do that as well as he could) the younger members of the cast are less convincing. Its not surprising that Desi Arnaz Jr.'s acting career was short-lived. Still, it was a fun movie if you are a genre fan.
March 20, 2012
Well it was not all that good but I do like the older movie mystery movies with twists but this was not like those it was close but it was very predictable but what can you do and to see 3 of the leading horror actors together you just have to watch it
April 25, 2011
Not to be confused with "House of Dark Shadows", this is one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen. You would think that a movie with the great Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and John Carradine would be worth your time, but trust me on this one, its not. When I first heard of this movie's existence, I said to myself "Damn, why isn't this movie on DVD yet?" After finally watching it I understand why. Even Ricky Ricardo Jr was terrible.
April 8, 2011
A Price/Lee/Cushing/Carradine lineup should be a harbinger of good things, but the film doesn't even come close to living up to its potential. Arnaz is a weak lead, the low budget is in evidence, and the rather inane story offers nothing of distinction.
February 8, 2011
So tedious... I cant believe with this amazing cast the movie still bored me silly. Ok, DArnazJr is the writer & VPrice's brother is the lunatic who has been locked up in the house for 40 years, now you guess the plot...