House of the Long Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of the Long Shadows Reviews

January 31, 2011
This could have been a good movie if it weren't so predictable. First of all, Price, Lee, and Cushing are the only actors who get any interesting lines throughout the whole movie. The rest of the cast can hardly act, and their lame dialogue isn't helping any. You may think today that the plot is old, but even in 1984 it was an overly used plot. The only thing that this film had going for it when it came out was its cast of famous horror film actors, which is the reason I wanted to see the movie too. In fact, this movie wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't have a predictable twist at the end.
April 25, 2010
Täytyy myöntää, että tunsin ajoittain lievää myötähäpeää klisheisen toteutuksen, tönkön käsikirjoituksen osalta ja muutaman näytteljiän osalta, mutta onneksi loistava ja karismaattinen kauhutähtinelikko teki sen verran hienoa työtä, että leffasta jäi ihan hyvä mieli. Nämä herrat ainakin hallitsevat itseironian taidon.
½ November 30, 2009
an amazing book,an amazing cast,and.. amazingly boring.
it has its up moments,but they are far inbetween and few. i still cant believe that even with Vincent Price,Peter Cushing,Christopher Lee,and Thee John Carradine,all under one roof,this film still manages to fail..dont get me wrong,they did superb performances,its just that the screenplay is lacking..
i think. i dont know,dont listen to me..it still should be required viewing for all horror enthusiasts...but be forewarned,be prepared...to fall asleep!
November 27, 2009
This may not be the best film ever but this doesn't matter and the reason for that is because it has the master of horror in it all together

- Vincent Price
- Sir Christopher Lee
- John Carradine
- Peter Cushing

Who could ask for more- its a good strong funny film and well worth a watch even just to see the masters
September 12, 2009
Nice story to it, and a nice twist at the end, the blond girl was terrible actress but it had the big 3 in it, Vincent price, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.
September 12, 2009
August 15, 2009
House of the Long Shadows. A movie that has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. Strength: The Cast. The "Masters of Horror" Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and John Carradine. Vincent Price gives it his dramtic best as usual. Christopher lee is great as the unasuming bad guy. Peter Cushing has a rememberal proformance as sympithetic character with a lisp. Weakness: We don't see enough of Carradine. He may have been old, but this is the kind of movie where I thought he would shine. Stength: The polt twists keep coming. Some may be easy to tell, but some, especially the last are amazing. Stength: The blend of diffrent genres. Especially the unexpected slasher genre incorperating itself in the story was good. Weakness: Desi Arnaz Jr. In my opinion, the makers of the film were trying to promote him as some big star, big mistake. Acting may have worked for his parents, but not for him. Maybe because he was pitted against some of the screens most legendary actors. But if I was envolved in this movie, I would have noticed that in the very beginning, and gotten someone who could hold their own and stand out. Not just a name. Strength; The filming of shadows. The films name being House of the Long Shadows, they would of course have to feature shots of shadows. These particular shots are very eiree and atmospherical, and add to the feeling of the movie overall. Weakness: The Ending. I should say the ending after the final twist. It is very confusing, and really doesnt make a whole lot of sense (the girl is what I am referring to; dont won't to give anything away.) Weakness: The Score. In my opinion, the score could have been a little more dramatic, or pay homage to the scores of old horror movies. That would have added a lot to the film, a prehaps made it a little more memorable. It mor or less sounds like they were trying to give the score an old horror movie treatment, but give it an Eighties spin. All in all, I would definatley recomend it any horror movie fan (especially on a rainy night. Watching it during the day, it is hard to see due to the darkness of the movie). But for someone who could care less who Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, or John Carradine are, then they should pass. A little trivia: Elsa Lanchester was supposed to play Victoria Grisbane, but ws to ill to make the film. I wonder if she had been cast, would they have called her a master of horror (being the bride of Frankenstein and all).
April 16, 2009
not often seen on tv this is a spooky who dunnit in a big scary house
Hellshocked
March 17, 2009
Out of fucking print for ages. Does anyone really think a film starring Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, John Carradine and Vincent Price wouldn't be a minor sales hit in the cult circuit?
March 15, 2009
Affectionate pastiche of The Old Dark House type set up, notable only for its 24 carat horror cast (all of whom thoroughly commit to the proceeding silliness.) Has some effective moments once the plot finally kicks in (about an hour into the movie), but by then it's slightly too late to make amends for the previous two reels of Desi Arnaz Jr. walking up and down a staircase. Still the film is bathed in a kind of nostalgic glow, not just because of the cast; even the words 'a Golan-Globus production' evoke memories of Cannon cinemas and British films that were more about turning a profit and entertaining audiences (in that order) rather than Film Council funded exercises in social realism.
December 31, 2008
the last hurrah of my heroes...a sad movie, for me. Weird murders in a Old dark house: i cried...
December 7, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
August 20, 2008
Let's watch this one this weekend, possibly
½ June 22, 2008
seeing vincint price christopher lee john carradine and peter cushing all together is cool! but to much empanthy was put on the supporting charectors and silly plot ruined it <_<
June 9, 2008
I saw this film as a young kid and it was great. Any film with the four kings of horror in it has to be seen by everyone.
June 7, 2008
Brilliant cast and great atmosphere. Why this movie is not on DVD is beyond me.
May 11, 2008
Four great horror icons star together in Pete Walker's creepy cult classic.
½ May 5, 2008
This Peter Walker film may not have Sheila Keith in it, but it does boast having the honor of the last appearance, in one film, of the four men who are pictured, Vincent Price, Chris Lee, Peter Cushing, and John Carradine in a sadly, flat plot, yet the sheer obvious fact makes it a collectable on its own.
Gorewhore Out...
February 2, 2008
This movie that has four of the great horror stars (the one they don't list is John Carradine) and yet it is a terrible disappointment. The script is terrible and the direction is flat. It's really only worth watching if you're a huge fan of the actors involved. Two stars for seeing these guys all in one movie, but that's really the only good thing.
½ September 30, 2007
Cute gathering of horror greats.