The House That Dripped Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House That Dripped Blood Reviews

½ July 23, 2010
Decent Amicus anthology with some fine photography, but the first and last segments really are the best; watch it for them.
June 30, 2010
A fun, fairly kitsch, anthology with some real horror greats.
June 10, 2010
It's quite an enjoyable movie, in fact, lately I find myself being more entertained by old movies than new ones. Maybe it's because I've been watching quite a few of them lately and I've gotten used to steady shots and easy transitions. Nevertheless, it's been a long while since I reviewed a movie mainly because it's being a long while since I watched one, I've been incredibly busy but now I am glad to have broken this "movieless" chain.

Written by the same author of "Psycho", "The House that Dripped Blood" is a pretty original movie which achieves its premise well, and that is to be creepy. Christopher Lee gave a very impressive performance in both his roles and John Pertwee was very good as well. The rest of the cast did okay, not bad, just okay.

The movie is told to us in flashbacks revolving around a guy who is selling this blood dripping house to a detective investigating the case. Now, you can see with this one some similarities with "Psycho" in the sense of all the psychological references the movie gives, even the final conclusion which, although not predictable it was just okay. I mean, it wasn't a conclusion that would leave you amazed or open mouthed at its creativity, but it will leave you satisfied.

One thing that "Psycho" exceeds over this one is dialogue, for "Psycho" had some memorable quotes, this one doesn't.

Overall, this is a fine flick that isn't quite groundbreaking, but entertains and satisfies in its ideas.
May 23, 2010
a lot funnier than its supposed to be. youll have a much better time laughing at how corny this movie is than to watch all these lame new comedies.
April 15, 2010
Neljä erillistä tarinaa, joten kokonaisuus ei tietenkään ihan yhtä toimiva kuin pitkässä elokuvassa olisi. Perinteistä kummittelua, mustaa magiaa ja kauhukomediaa oli kuitenkin tarjolla brittiläiseen tyyliin. Minun mielestä paras osio oli se, missä Christopher Lee muuttaa taloon pienen tyttären kanssa. Viimeinen osa, missä kuvattiin Dracula-elokuvaa oli aika koominen. Oliko kenties havaittavissa pientä pottuilua Hammerille?
April 12, 2010
The title is misleading, this film has no dripping blood... but it has more: atmospheric sets, thunderstorms, candlelight, creaking doors, and creepy shadows! Not to be missed by any fan of classic 70s horror.
½ March 23, 2010
This was a fun anthology, again, some stories worked well then the others. Weakest was Denholm Elliott as an Author being stalked by his own strangler creation.. The best having Peter Cushing as a retiree developing a fascination witha was museum exhibit and finding out the results of his friend having even more of a fascination. The other, the witchcraft kid of Christopher Lee is haunting him - moves slightly slow, but not bad, and the final story, Jan Pertwee as a Famous Actor finding out about the last possessor of a cloak he had is quite funny, but suffers from a weak ending after a pretty amazing false ending. Something for everyone I suppose.
½ March 15, 2010
Probably the best of the 60's/70's British Horror anthologies.

Amicus studios produced a number of excellent horror films under the shadow of the far better known "Hammer Studios" and THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD is one of it's most effective.

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are, of course perfect in their respective roles... but an added feature for fans of British cinema is the notable performances by Denholm Elliot and Jon Pertwee.

This one is fun to watch! Much, much different from today's horror movies and even from contemporary American horror movies of it's time.... THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD must be approached with an understanding of British Horror films of the era to be truly appreciated.

Classic.
½ August 30, 2009
This house doesn't actually drip blood; instead it's a horror anthology on a house that's having a rough go on the market. You really can't lose if you're a fan of all the legends that lead each short..I liked Christoper Lee's daughter that was into witchcraft the best..that will teach you for letting your child have no toys & nothing but books
½ August 22, 2009
Torr brittisk skräck.
½ June 23, 2009
Hammer films horror anthology of four separate short story tales tied only by the main characters living in the home. Comes off like tv episodes of Night Gallery or filmed versions of Creepy magazine. They are pretty well acted. Mainstay Hammer veterans Lee and Cushing in separate vignettes. The title seems more appropo to Amityville Horror though.
½ May 25, 2009
One of Amicus' best anthologies, this quartet of chillers from the pen of Robert Bloch are a satisfyingly diverse mix, with a great cast of British charactor actors who give it their all under the sure direction of first-timer Peter Duffell. The linking story is effective and for once the individual tales are all exceptionallty good. The first tale is a nice little story, with some effective jump scares whilst the final story is a great finale to the film making a gentle mockery of gothic horror films.
½ April 16, 2009
A lot of fun. Four short little thrillers thrown together, with Hammer greats Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Ingrid Pitt.
March 29, 2009
This movie was amazing. It was probably the best anthology movie I have seen yet. The movie has four short plots to it: 1) "Method for Murder", 2) "Waxworks", 3) "Sweets For The Sweet", and 4) "The Cloak.

The cast, which is greatly assembled, consists of Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Jon Pertwee. The acting in this movie is actually really good and each story is equally creepy and fun.

My favourite story out of the four is either "Waxworks" starring Peter Cushing or "Sweets for the Sweet" starring Christopher Lee. What I really liked about each story is that none of them had a happy ending for any of the characters.

The entire movie was well thought out and thoroughly enjoyable. It is perfects for a stormy night and I reccommend it to classic horror fans and anthology fans.
½ February 9, 2009
Well I couldn't finish it, which was disappointing because it had a good cast.
December 7, 2008
OK, but nothing particularly notable about any of the stories, really. Some internal incoherences limited the impact of each of the segments.
December 3, 2008
Fun + creepy Amicus horror anthology from 1970. Written by Robert Bloch. A great cast has fun with it, never taking itself too seriously. More good, creepy fun from Amicus.
cancercapricorn2002
½ November 6, 2008
Amicus made close to a good half dozen of these horror anthologies in the 70's, and this, from leading horror scribe Robert Bloch, is one of their best efforts. Featuring a few of rival studio Hammer all-stars, this highly effective slice of British horror revolves around a house and the fates of it's previous tenants, whose stories are all told to a Scotland yard detective, in search of a missing actor.

Story number one, which is probably the least impressive of the four, deals with a writer and his wife who've just moved in the house and plan to stay just for a short time so that he may write one of his horror novels. He creates a demented character named Dominic, who's a very creepy looking strangler, and soon finds himself going mad as he starts to seeing this beastly looking man everywhere he goes. After his wife convinces him to seek psychiatric help, a sub-plot is introduced which frankly, didn't really work for me. I won't spoil it for you.

The next story (the best in my opinion) stars the wonderful Peter Cushing as Philip Grayson, a man who's moved into the home for his retirement years and soon makes his way to a nearby wax museum(that deals in the macabre) where he's very startled to find a wax figure that looks exactly like a woman from his past. Soon thereafter, an old friend(who also has a history with this woman) is in town for business and drops by to see him. The two men are in for a rude awakening as they soon discover that there was more to this woman than meets the eye.

Story three stars one of my very favorites...Christopher Lee, who plays John Reid. After moving into the home with his peculiar daughter Jane, the nanny that he hires becomes awfully suspicious as to the way Reid suppresses his daughter. Well come to find out...if she knew what Lee did, she would have certainly understood.

The final story is a rather light-hearted vampire tale that stars John Pertwee and Ingrid Pitt. After buying a cloak from a mysterious merchant, actor Paul Henderson finds himself turning into the very creature that he's portrayed several times in his career.

Overall, the pacing and direction were very good, as was the most of the performances. There were nice Gothic touches here and there and an effective score to complement the ambiance. This one's a keeper. Highly Recommended
November 2, 2008
The House That Dripped Blood is a good, but not great film. The film gives us four stories about a house that uses people's personalities to terrorize and destroy them. The stories are kind of fun, but are not as scary or interesting as they should have been. The most satisfying story stars Christopher Lee as a single parent whose daughter is a witch.
alanjayh
October 23, 2008
Take a ride on the Cornball Express...only 4 short stops...ultimate destination..BOREDOM!!!!