The House Where Evil Dwells - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House Where Evil Dwells Reviews

½ July 2, 2015
Dumbest movie ever !0))
April 30, 2013
"There's a face in soup!"-Amy Fletcher (Amy Barrett)

I must say, I had a hearty laugh at the soup bowl scene.
April 12, 2013
Great story, so-so execution. It had what it needed to be better, but comes across as only partially formed. Definitely doesn't feel like it reached its potential.
January 22, 2013
I'm sure this movie inspired people what with it's Japanese haunted house and photo camera that can see ghosts... But it's just so dull! The acting isn't even atrociously over the top, it's just one-note boring. C'mon 1982, 80s it up!
December 23, 2011
Boring!!!!! The concept was good but yuck!!!
October 25, 2011
Movie came out: 1982.
Director's info: Born in 1984.
September 5, 2011
The parallels that develop between the lives of ghosts haunting a Kyoto home and the American residents in modern day Japan are interesting enough in their depiction, as the various ghosts possess the living and act out in eerie ways. That said, the film is pretty predictable overall and never really drew me in beyond a 'hey, nice visuals' kind of way.

Rental? Cable, perhaps?
July 2, 2011
HIGHLANDER-type deal where Ancient Samurai Ghosts possess a lovers' triangle of Young Urban Professionals (yuppies) and they gorily fight to the death.

It was on HBO 27 years ago, I've never forgotten it.

Its not absolutely awesome though. (but worth a viewing)
½ April 4, 2011
Hokey ghosts, bad acting, waste of time.
March 18, 2011
Aside for being classic in the aspect of its cheesy lines and terrible acting, this movie should never be watched unless you are looking for a good cure for your insomnia. I can't imagine anyone actually thinking this was good as it's so laughable. Any movie that has giant crabs swearing in Japanese is a good enough reason to keep away!
January 15, 2011
Complete garbage of a horror film. I have mad love for 80's horror, but this really put me down.

First of all, if you are going to make a horror film that involves Ghosts, don't show them in every scene, it ruins the ambiance and pace of the film.

Secondly, ghosts that tell women to bang men other then their husbands are just complete obnoxious and make no sense.

And finally, well I really can't believe this is a movie.

But hey, the opening ten minutes were a complete laugh.
January 11, 2011
This could have been a good horror movie, if only it weren't so slow and boring.
October 25, 2010
if you like Tom Selleck lookalikes and karate ghosts, this movie is for you.
½ October 16, 2010
I adore a good haunted house film, and I must admit that I was thoroughly disappointed in The House Where Evil Dwells. The Amityville Horror, The Shining, and Poltergeist all did haunted house horror way more effectively in this period than this film even dreams of doing. The crappiest looking ghosts ever, a stilted screenplay, bad acting, and a boring story create a film that disappoints on all levels. While it pays homage at various points to Kobayashi's classic Kwaidan, it never manages to truly achieve any level of horrific artistry like the Japanese forebears it is trying to emulate.
½ August 29, 2010
The House Where Evil Dwells was released in 1982, the same year as another little haunted house film you might have heard of called Poltergeist. Today people still know about Poltergeist but most have forgotten about The House Where Evil Dwells. Well that's okay because Poltergeist is great whereas House Where Evil Dwells sucks, deserving of being forgotten other than for unintentional laughs.

The plot is actually similar to a recent horror film entitled The Grudge (hell even look at the new DVD cover, it looks extremely similar to the original DVD cover for The Grudge) with an American family moving into a house in Japan that just happens to be haunted. Decades earlier a samurai came back from battle only to find his wife cheating on him. He beheads her lover, kills her and then commits Harry Kerry. For same damn reason, as the motive is unknown, the ghosts decide to occasionally possess our new residents and the husband's boss to eventually reenact that awful night. In between lots of silly ghost shenanigans ensue with some just jaw droopingly bad.

The cast for the most part is rather good and we get seasoned actors Edward Albert, Doug McClure and the sexy Susan George trudging through their bad material. Sadly director Kevin Connor doesn't know how to present the film: either as a serious scary movie or tongue-in-cheek. His unfocused directing makes the film bad plain and simple.

The worst part of his direction is his handling of the damn ghosts. The ghosts are presented as cheesy transparent images that walk around our cast, making "scary" noises that only the audience can hear. The presentation of the ghosts is no better than films 30 years before and the directer seems to know it so he presents them in a rather silly fashion. The absolute worst (and most unintentionally funny scene) has a ghosts head appear in a little girls bowl of soup, make a silly face causing her to cry. The most "what the fuck" moment has to be a giant crab attack.... no I am not making this up. Our ghosts take the form of giant, monstrous crabs and chase our child throughout the house while making hooky "scary" sounds.

Well... is there anything good about The House Where Evil Dwells? Well Susan George gets naked. Fans of her will get an eye full as she bares it all for some sex scenes. It's pretty fucking pathetic that the best thing about a haunted house flick is the nude scenes! The production values are also good and the film looks like it had a decent budget but what good is that without a good script and a director that doesn't know what direction to take the film in?

So what we have is an extremely unfocused haunted house picture that comes off silly in a very dumb way. It's really only worth watching for Susan Georges nude scenes and a few unintentional laughs but those are so far between that it hardly makes it worth sitting through. If you want to see a now rather obscure haunted house picture that actually has some genuine scares then I suggest hunting down The Evil starring Richard Crenna. That's just one of the many haunted house pictures better than The House Where Evil Dwells.
April 25, 2010
a great film from 80s classic horror
March 31, 2010
October 21, 2009
Not to bad but not to good either.Something to watch
April 2, 2008
This isn't scary, it's fairly illogical (which is saying a lot for a movie with Japanese ghosts) and the acting is awful. The only plus is a ton of naked Susan George and a ghost karate/sword fight.