The Householder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Householder Reviews

March 11, 2015
Low-key and nothing special.
October 10, 2011
The very first Merchant/Ivory film. It was recently shown on TCM, and even though the only print has terrible sound quality, it was still an enjoyably sweet romance involving arranged marriage in India. As a fan of the novel A Suitable Boy, I enjoyed it immensely.
August 31, 2011
the first merchant ivory movie shows lots of promise in this low key like most of their movies a low key domestic comedy.
July 22, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie....i think that patsy dance, pahadi sanyal, leela naidu, harin chattopadayaya, indu lele, jabeen jalil, ernest castaldo, durga khote, achala sachdev, shashi kapoor play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.....i think that this is a really good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie....i think that this is a good drama/romance movie 2 watch because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch its a good drama movie 2 watch
July 16, 2009
Delightful comedy from 60's India which at the same time impresses some of the changing relationships and roles in society of men and women.
½ June 28, 2009
A simple heartwarming movie set in Delhi with an 'innocent,charming,confused' Shashi Kapoor and the 'beautiful temperamental' Leela Naidu as a newly married couple adjusting to each other. Durga Khote as the mother in law is brilliant with her nagging.

Shashi Kapoor's sincere efforts to seek advice from his friends and a Guru are hilarious. Leela Naidu is brilliant in her spontaneous acting.

After watching the disastrous 'bombay talkies' this movie put my faith back into Merchant-Ivory productions. Not to be missed- especially for the subtle romantic scenes between Shashi Kapoor and Leela Naidu!
April 12, 2009
The liner notes for this one stated it was a "comedy." There was a gag involving hair and flies that briefly resembled humor, but other than that, I didn't get the joke. The beautiful Leela Naidu stole every scene she was in. Unfortunately the film's focus was on the whiney Shashi Kapoor, who was unable to gain my sympathy or interest until nearly the last 10 minutes of the film. If you're having trouble sleeping at night, lie down, get comfortable and put this film on.
April 11, 2009
I like the fact that this movie subtley potrays the dynamics of a couple accepting the situation and responsibilities of being trapped in an arranged marriage. Leela Naidu is very beautiful as ever.
December 29, 2008
It's sweet and cute, the fears, the tensions, the crisis of a newly married couple. Not a pathbreaker in any way, just sweet. And this Leela Naidu girl was beautiful.
½ October 19, 2008
My Mom had been after me to watch this movie, for a long time; So When it came on Z cafe, this weekend, she kept on reminding me to watch it. After so much of nagging, i finally caved in, and watched it.
This is a really sweet film, and a treat to watch. Shashi is at his charming best, and Lela naidu.. oh what can I say about her. She is so gorgeous..