Housesitter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Housesitter Reviews

October 3, 2016
A comedy that is actually funny.
August 6, 2016
this is a fun movie with a nice concept that"half the things we tell ourselves are lies.". it visually appealling with great music and nuanced perfances. i really enjoy watching this every now and then.
July 19, 2016
The story has potential, but "Housesitter" forgets to be funny.
½ July 13, 2016
HouseSitter fonctionne totalement comme un film avec Steve Martin et Goldie Hawn, réalisé par Frank Oz devrait fonctionner. C'est une comédie romantique avec une bonne demi-douzaine de rebondissements parfaitement bien amenés mais jamais vraiment totalement inoubliables. Avec une mise en situation un peu longuette mais servie par deux acteurs au top de leur forme et un climax qui traîne un peu en longueur mais qui reste totalement sympathique, HouseSitter reste un film plutôt drôle, avec de très bons seconds rôles (Donald Moffat, par exemple, est excellent) et une comédie typique du début des années 90? ce qui ne sera pas pour déplaire à certains.
½ April 14, 2016
Shocked to see the negative ratings. This is a really fun & quirky film.
½ April 10, 2016
I love this movie so much. I watch it every time its on tv. Not sure why RottenTomatoes gives it such a low rating because I find it hilarious every time. Goldie Hawn is such a Cack and Steve Martin has me cringing and watching through my fingers every time I see it.
March 8, 2016
Steve Martin carries this rom com as far as he can, but ultimately the plot is just way too absurd.
Goldie Hawn plays a love interest...kind of, the subject of a one night stand. Martin had built a house for his then girlfriend Becky, only for her to reject the house and break up with him. Gwen..played by Hawn, then moves into the house by herself and makes her self at home to the community and his parents alike all without Martin knowing.

Yea that really is the plot. It is silly and sets the stage for some pretty unique circumstances, but ultimately, it's way too silly. I know comedy films are supposed to be silly and have those dumb plot points, but this one was wayyyy too much. Being a huge Steve Martin fan, I thought he was really good here. Especially when he is shocked, his physical, and emotional comedy is top notch in most movies, and is on some display here.
The ending is beyond silly, and really just tries to tie strings that were never there to be tied in the first place.
December 1, 2015
Clever, absolutely hilarious and sweet.
It's the Goldie and Steve show, give me a front row seat.
Fun fact- Directed by the voice of Miss Piggy.
Yes, Frank Oz is great, and let's the leads shine in each scene.

You never know what will come out of Hawns mouth here.
Awesome.
Perfectly tailored for her here.
And Steve makes the best of every moment, esp his character singing an impromptu song to his dad - I burst out laughing at that and for several things in this one.
I LOVE this flick.

Hilarious one-liners and great stories that get bigger and bigger and bigger, and get a sweet pay off at the end.
It's all about a platform for the leads to get the most out of each situation.
It's cute and floats along with a wink to all its cliches - those cliches, I suspect, are why no one else here liked it - but all I cared about were the things they did with the material.

Brilliant.
Especially on repeat viewings.
Not to be missed.

November 29, 2015
Cute but unmemorable.
August 16, 2015
Watchable for a Sunday afternoon comedy
½ April 7, 2015
Should have just walked away from this house....not worth the trouble.
January 6, 2015
I think the two are adorable.
September 2, 2014
Goldie Hawn's adorableness and Steve Martin's likeability keep the movie watchable, but the movie utterly fails as a comedy, as someone forgot to put comedy in this movie.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - December 2009)
August 16, 2014
Rubbish, but engaging rubbish, and it works largely due to Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn's chemistry. It's also one of those films that makes me nostalgic for my pre-teen years.
½ May 1, 2014
Directed by Frank Oz, who by the early 1990's had moved away from the Muppets and had become a successful director in his own right. Having worked with Steve Martin on Little Shop of Horrors (1986) and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), they were looking to work together again. They found it in a script by playwright Mark Stein. It's a very silly romantic comedy, but it has some fun along the way. Architect Newton Davis (Martin) built his dream house for him and longtime girlfriend Becky (Dana Delany), but when Becky refuses to marry Newton, he's heartbroken and goes back to work in Boston. One night, in a fit of despair, he has a one night stand with Gwen (Goldie Hawn), a waitress and con-woman who he met in a Hungarian restaurant. Gwen finds a drawing of the house Newton built, so she goes out to where the house is, and moves in. However, this is Newton's home town, and she lies that she and Newton married, which becomes complicated when she meets Newton's parents (Donald Moffat and Julie Harris), and then Newton arrives... It's a very silly film, but Martin and Hawn have very good screen chemistry which lasts throughout the film. It's a good old fashioned farce, that wouldn't have been out of place as an Ealing comedy, and there is a lot of lies and misunderstandings along the way. You don't get clever little comedies like this now.
½ March 5, 2014
It follows a typical romantic comedy template with two characters that do not get along gradually falling in love without realizing it. What makes it different is that both main characters are compulsive liars. This makes for an effective twist on what would otherwise be a predictable formula. It also greatly helps that these characters do not feel like flimsy cardboard stereotypes, as many movies of this type often have. The humor derives more from the situations that these lies create and less from what the characters actually say. Martin's character is somewhat uptight and reserved, but he brings the needed energy and sarcasm to the character to make it work. Goldie Hawn is even better as the free-spirited wild card that shakes up his whole world. Their chemistry helps to get the most out of the simple story. The movie does a nice job of establishing Martin's character, but it is unfortunate that it takes so long for the main plot device to kick in. It is only mildly funny, but it has good characters, as well as a unique and credible plot. The mood is right, and it has an authentic sweetness to it, making it an enjoyable watch.
January 25, 2014
One of the best Steve Martin movies. One of Goldie's best too.
December 25, 2013
I own this on DVD in a five movie pack along with:
* The Jerk (1979)
* The Lonely Guy (1983)
* Parenthood (1989)
* Bowfinger (1999)
December 17, 2013
It's very annoying watching them create so many lies. You'd think one of the characters would have stopped and said "Maybe it would be easier if we just told the truth to everyone". Both characters are terrible people. They lied multiple times to his relatives & friends and never seemed very regretful about it.

It was ridiculous that Steve Martin's character went with the whole charade in the first place. If a guy had a one night stand with a women and she broke into his house and moved in, any guy would call the cops!

Pretty weak plot and it never had any laugh out loud moments.