How About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How About You Reviews

November 21, 2010
nice film to snap you out of the holiday blues..
November 18, 2010
This really is what I would call charming. If you are into Christmas movies, this is one to add to the list to own. Great cast and terrific chemistry. A movie that just makes you smile. Don't miss this jewel!
November 12, 2010
nice holiday maeve binchy story about a buncha difficult folks at an elderly residential home, and an initially unwilling younger sister charge. hilarious acting all around.
½ November 11, 2010
convincing acting especially by Redgrave & Staunton, but on an unimpressive plot.
½ October 15, 2010
pretty funny indie flick
September 19, 2010
funny little indie comedy
LWOODS04
½ August 16, 2010
Cast: Joss Ackland, Hayley Atwell, Orla Brady, Brenda Fricker, Elizabeth Moynihan, Joan O'Hara, Vanessa Redgrave, Imelda Staunton

Director: Anthony Byrne

Summary: When the manager of a retirement home in the Irish countryside asks her younger sister, Ellie (Hayley Atwell), to run the facility during the holidays, four mischievous residents take advantage of the power vacuum and turn the place upside down. As Ellie learns to take charge, the residents also come to terms with their own troubles.

My Thoughts: "I found it to be a charming, quirky, funny little dramedy. Loved the characters and their interactions with each other. It's well acted with some great aged actors. I love old people, especially when their feisty and quirky like this bunch. But near the end it gets very sentimental which was very sweet to watch as they come together and unite as a family. It was a great little film to help pass the time."
½ August 3, 2010
Cute without being obnoxious. Not the most hilarious movie I've ever seen, but had a few funny moments.
July 24, 2010
Slow starting but it turned out to be an ok movie.
½ June 17, 2010
I enjoyed this story of two sisters with issues in their own lives working together to oversee a nursing home with quite an interesting cast of characters. Uplifting story without being too saccharine. Great performances by Orla Brady and Hayley Atwell as the two sisters and a very nice supporting role by Vanessa Redgrave.
½ June 12, 2010
Simple story about the ups and downs in an old peoples home is nicely played by a recognisable cast, but sems to be saying that all old people are a little bit mad.
May 19, 2010
A sweet, but slight film. Easy to watch, but easy to forget.
May 5, 2010
Crazy whirlwind but I still liked it...
April 18, 2010
Quite comical. Imelda Staunton is once again brilliant.
April 8, 2010
Pleasant movie about nothing in particular. Just don't keep waiting for something to happen.
maxthesax
½ March 18, 2010
very cliche and the "message" just about hits you over the head - but there are moments of pure joy; as when the 4 oldsters toddle to the picture window to see their young "keeper" tell off her jerk boyfriend.

There is certainly no new ground broken here, and the last third lays it on a bit too thick, but just watching Redgrave channeling Peter O'Toole is amazing - every nuance and twinkle in her eye was EXACTLY what was called for. Just watching a true master makes this film a worthwhile watch.

But there is more - a beautiful scene that seems to come right out of a Maxfield Parrish print - very 3d, with overhanging trees framing a gently rolling river - to which a dying "inmate" gets wheeled by our heroine. A wonderful line comes just before this, when the dying woman asks to see the river one more time before she passes; she complains that the in house nurse won't let her go for she'll "catch her death". She smiles wanly and says "I think it's death that's catching me".

The final analysis is that this is tried and true story, but by managing to stay within itself for the most part, the humanity comes through easily - that and watching Redgrave weave her spell - makes you want to hoist a gin martini in her honor.
neumdaddy
March 17, 2010
Indeed, this film suffocates under cliche and its corpse is peed on by predictability. Likeable turns by Vanessa Redgrave, Joss Ackland, and Imelda Staunton notwithstanding, this movie had very little meat to offer. One positive, I'll grant it, is the ever-precious sense of camaraderie that can develop from a motley assortment, and Hayley Atwell, spunking her way out of proper acting, led this group to whiff that nourishing core of 'group likeability.' But undone by the total lack of surprise and a paltry script - as well as not at all buying that all these middle-aged folks know the words to "How About You," I kind of want to leave this movie behind. And unlike Hayley Atwell's trite protag, I don't intend to return.
½ February 27, 2010
this movie is funny . Anyone who has netflix should watch it
December 26, 2009
Not bad.... a feel-good movie set in a hoity-toity retirement home in Ireland. Has a couple of transparent plot mechanisms but the two lead females are very easy on the eyes. Orla Brady's da owned the Temple Bar (maybe he still does!) and she was the model used in one or two of Jack Vettriano's paintings if you're into that kind of thing. Hayley Atwell held her Irish accent together quite well throughout and the movie presents a strong promotion for cannabis.

If you can't bear to look at old people because you've been fed a diet of American TV/Movie pretty people - skip this one.
December 9, 2009
A little slow, a little strange, and a lot British. At least everyone was happy in the end.