How Harry Became a Tree Reviews

• Apr 08, 2013

The tale of a man who turns bitter after the death of his wife and elder son who decides to give meaning to his life by becoming enemies with the owner of the local pub and one of the most popular members of his community. A tragicomedy set in Ireland in the 1920's, though after its start, it chooses to ignore some aspects of its socio-political settings.

• Apr 10, 2008

There was not one likeable character in the whole movie. It has a few moments that make you chuckle a little, but otherwise it was awful. ---I've decided to revise the above review that I gave a few weeks ago. The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. It is actually quite funny even though I didn't realize it at first.

• Feb 29, 2008

It was very incoherent and made very little sense. By the end I was pulling my hair out...I quite liked it.

• Feb 15, 2008

A stunning tale about enemies and how easy it is to get lost as a person. Meaney is amazing as always.

• Jan 31, 2008

One of the few irish movies that I can actually caught every word they said! I don't have a real lot to say about this one except that it's very good. I am in love with Cillian's character, how sweet and gentle he is. The story is a bit different from our age today, because there's a lot of killing and no consequences, that is the only thing i really wondered about. At the end, OH did I feel sorry for Colm Meany's character Harry. Poor man gets his house destroyed! His acting is very well done and makes the movie just a pleasure to watch! The nudity is not quite necessary though, it would make just as much sense without it.

• Jan 30, 2008

Goran Paskaljevic has transposed a Chinese fable to 1920s rural Ireland, where its story of consuming hatred between neighbors inevitably serves as a pungent metaphor for the Bosnian conflict, which prevented the Yugoslavian director from making the film on home soil.

• Nov 27, 2007

A young woman is used as a bargaining chip between two enemies in this Irish comedy/drama. Harry (Colm Meaney) arranges for her to marry his son, Gus (Cillian Murphy) in order to make him happy. However, the father is so overbearing that the young couple aren't able to consummate their marriage - and Eileen, the young wife, seeks her pleasure in Harry's sworn enemy. After that events begin to unfold leaving the viewer confused and disliking Harry more than ever before the movie nears it's end. There's even a twist, which I didn't see coming, but it just leaves the viewer scratching their heads, asking "why did that just happen?" Cillian Murphy was the highlight of this film for me. Gorgeous and amazing as always - (and I wouldn't mind being in an arranged marriage if I was going to end up with him. ) Still, the crazy father just annoyed me to no end, and I find this to be one of Murphy's weaker films.

• Nov 22, 2007

Slow to begin with, I'll admit I only saw it because Murphy was in it, but towards the end, it really grew on me.

• Nov 07, 2007

Beautiful and very sad movie. Great actors including Kerry Condon who was just being so cute :D

• Oct 17, 2007

I had a hard time engaging in this movie because the main character (Harry) was so unlikable. Cillian Murphy was gorgeous and amazing, of course.