How I Got Into College - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How I Got Into College Reviews

½ February 14, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
May 8, 2014
Another bomb by Savage Steve Holland.
½ August 24, 2013
A pretty good flick about the pains of getting into college. While I myself waited a few years after High School and it was a mellow process, I do remember people I knew the few years before stressing over what colleges they could get into.

Now, some of the stuff is a tad too cheesy: mostly admitting animals into college as jokes. I doubt people do this. Or the lead guy only going to college as a way for his crush to fall for him, as that seems highly implausible.

But the cast is what sells this movie, as many of my favorite character actors show up in this, as well as favorites from other movies from that time.

You've got Richard Jenkins and Diane Franklin as Corey Parker's parents, and Parker himself was a favorite part of mine in Friday The 13th 5. Philip Baker Hall as the Dean, Laura Flynn Boyle as the crush, Brian Doyle-Murray, Rhonda from Tremors, Gilbert AND Booger from the Nerds films. And a few of my fav 80's scream queens: Patrick's Sister from Monster Squad, Teresa from Cheerleader Camp and that Waterbed girl from Elm Street 4.
Not to mention Bathroom Guy and Eakian from Summer School.

I actually thought the story of the minority McDonalds worker was a nice touch too...feel good part of the film.

And the soundtrack was great too.
½ February 26, 2013
I like Savage Steve Holland movies and this follows his aesthetic to a T. Entertaining to the max but not as great as Better Off Dead or One Crazy Summer.
February 23, 2012
Who ever wrote this synopsis has no sense of humor and puts far too much thought into comedies. Get a life buddy.
½ September 6, 2010
Such an hilarious comedy, and a very realistic one, about moving from high school into college. If that's where you are in your life right now, I highly recommend checking out this movie. Or if you're past that milestone, like me, it'll bring back memories.
½ February 9, 2011
Fun to watch, but the last few scenes were a little disappointing.
½ September 20, 2010
How has this never been on TV before? or is just such a catchy title that I've missed it in the past 20 years? This movie is all about Piggs and LE Funts. Enjoyed the skits about the SAT prep, and all of the 90's SNL cast cameos. Would not buy DVD, but would watch this again. and again. and again.
September 6, 2010
A lesser Savage film but worthy. What's not to like about Lara Flynn Boyle before she effed up her face and the extremely charming Corey Parker?
August 30, 2010
I Liked this Years ago and ???
Wounder Now What Was I Thinking ?? This Is The Dumbest Movie To Re-visit Ever ??
August 25, 2010
There was a bit of eye rolling when my wife noticed this movie on the Netflix queue. I have to admit - I loved LOVED this movie when i was about 16. Director "Savage" Steve Holland, he of "Better Off Dead." Mr. Holland never saw an obvious he didn't put in his movies Underachieving protagonist mooning after a girl -- I felt I could identify. The humor is, as I noted, obvious, but hey, it was 1989 -- irony and sarcasm where just starting to make a comeback. Can't say the movie has aged well, though it still has its strengths. Short, sweet, and upbeat.
½ June 23, 2010
Disappointing compared to the other Savage Steve Holland 80s teen flicks. Fun though.
December 31, 2009
½ November 30, 2009
I did like this movie and the cast was pretty entertaining. The story was very nice too. There were also a few cameos. But just when the story starts going good, it has a hold. Then it picks up again, then a hold. If it wasn't so much in pieces, I could enjoy it more.
August 23, 2009
Typical '80s teen comedy, but with a slight twist. There's some magical realism involved in the main characters' overactive imaginations. Pretty unrealistic story but it's a fun, entertaining movie overall. I like the quirky side characters.
September 1, 2009
it was ok... i guess
½ August 18, 2009
How I Got Into College is one of those few 80's sleeper comedies about a diverse group of high school students all trying to work towards their college future with most of them attempting to get into Ramsey College. The story focuses the most on lead Marlon Browne (Corey Parker) and Jessica Kailo (Lara Flynn Boyle, before she got kinda creepy) who are both working towards getting into the college, one, because she doesn't want to go to the same one her entire family went to, and the other because he wants to follow the girl of his dreams. On the other end of the plot, there's the admissions counselors of Ramsey, led by cool cat Anthony Edwards, the girl of his dreams Finn Carter (Tremors), and the late Charles Rocket in his usual jerk character role. Overall, there are a lot of lead and mini-stories going on in this film, probably too many for an 80's movie, which is why it wasn't an instant classic. The movie may seem even more so as something that's got too many things going on at once with today's standard moronic movie viewers. I did really enjoy this film. It was a decently entertaining surprise that I couldn't believe I hadn't watched sooner (since I am obsessed with 80's movies and all). Good direction from former 80's hitmaker Savage Steve Holland (Better Off Dead, One Crazy Summer) and good performances from the aforementioned group, including a surprising laundry list of cameo appearances from the likes of Brian Doyle-Murray (Bill's brother), Philip Baker Hall, Phil Hartman, Nora Dunn, Tichina Arnold (TV's Martin), Richard Jenkins (Stepbrothers), Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants), and Curtis Armstrong (Booger from the Revenge of the Nerds movies).
June 21, 2009
Hmmm, i find it very interesting how someone would actually b soo determined to get inot a college that was not actually a choice of theirs just 2 b with someone that they had being crushing on and who they BARELY spoke 2!!!
"This diverting (if very unrealistic) comedy focuses on the exploits of charmingly naive Marlon Browne (Corey Parker), a well-meaning but scholastically average high school student intent upon attendin...( read more read more... )g the same college as the girl of his dreams, his classmate Jessica Kailo (a young, perky Lara Flynn Boyle). To Marlon, Jessica seemingly has it all: looks, intelligence, and sophistication. His dilemma is that she is a far brighter student whose main choice, Ramsey College, seems hopelessly out of his reach, so the awkward but determined Marlon endeavors to get accepted there. But little does Marlon know that Jessica is also struggling with tremendous pressures of her own."--Bryan Reesman
April 17, 2009
Aims low and hits its mark, fulfilling the "80s teen movie" requisites with just enough hyperbolic cleverness to steal a few pity laughs. The premise of going to college to get a girl is actually kind of okay, but instead of milking it, the filmmakers usually settle for pedestrian gags. I will remember the opening test-taking sequence for its music and Parker's stressed performance.
March 26, 2009
I cant believe I watched this on cable a few weeks back. Young versions of Anthony Edwards and Lara Flynn Boyle. Had to sit thru it to remember how bad it was.