How I Won the War Reviews

• Nov 28, 2018

Not very good and very misleading, it creates the impression that Lennon is the star but in fact hes barely even in it.Overly silly and the blurry grungy video quality doesn't help.

• Jan 06, 2017

Richard Lester's anti-war comedy is kind of shaky and doesn't hold up well...but Lester's most brilliant move seems to have been casting Beatle John Lennon in the film...probably the main reason it is still even sought after at all. I do think the idea of showing archived footage of a battle tinted a color while a member of the troop dies, and having a sort of ghostly figure represent each dead member of the troop colored the same tint as the battle is a great visual idea, but the execution was somewhat sloppy and it doesn't entirely work. And while there are some mildly humorous parts early on...the film isn't all that funny, and it's stark comment on war isn't as poignant or as strong as it probably should be. The movie tries, isn't totally worthless, but really the main reason to watch it (and the reason I have seen it a couple of times) is that you get to see John Lennon acting (and he is a rather decent actor for the part). Otherwise...not the best anti-war film of that era or any other.

• Dec 17, 2016

Darkly humourous - far funnier than you may've been led to believe in fact - and a terrific cast.

• Jan 18, 2016

British film director Richard Lester directed some great movies in his time and had quite a flair for comedy films. How I Won The War was not one of Lester's best. It is enjoyable but Lester does not seem to have the same affinity for this project as Robert Aldritch had in The Dirty Dozen (definitely not a comedy but still a subversive look at the War movie) or Robert Altman had for M*A*S*H* (a comedy and far more subversive than the TV series that followed). Lester does include clever bits where character's break the fourth wall; incorporates actual newsreel war footage; and has soldiers who die in the course of the film reappearing as monochromatic ghosts. Michael Crawford stars as a hapless British officer who manages to get most of his men killed in North Africa while on a top-secret mission to set up a cricket pitch behind enemy lines. The most famous cast member is John Lennon of the Beatles who had worked with Lester on the classic Hard Days Night film. Also on hand is Lester regular Roy Kinnear along with Jack MacGowran and Michael Hordern.

• Oct 16, 2015

john lennon;s first acting role minus the Beatles

john lennon;s first acting role minus the Beatles

• Apr 18, 2013

Had wanted to see this for a long time, and was INCREDIBLY disappointed in it. I'd wanted to see a good anti-war film and a good John Lennon film, and this was far from either. Another reviewer used the word pretentious. Well, stick a "super-" in front of that, and I'm right there. Meanigless gags and slapstick, humorless attempts at humor, a contorted and stupid plot. I couldn't make myself watch it to the stupid - it would have to be stupid - end. Hate to say this, but wow!

• Sep 22, 2012

love this movie, very dry british wit.. but still very smartly made...

love this movie, very dry british wit.. but still very smartly made...

• Jan 13, 2012

Finally got to see it. Funny if not completely senseless. I had no problems watching it but it really didn't seem to have much of a point. Maybe it was a dada statement of war? Lennon was great.

• Oct 31, 2011

It's a little too silly for me to enjoy.

It's a little too silly for me to enjoy.

• Sep 13, 2011