Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

March 10, 2018
BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE EVER!!! Jim Carrey was so great in this movie. Everything about this movie was so good. I mean this movie is AMAZING!! I remember I was blown away so much when I saw this movie in theaters. I loved it so much I wanted to cry because of how much I fell in love with this movie. This movie never gets old. And it never will. One of my all time favorites.
½ March 8, 2018
It's a mixed bag in terms of storytelling, but Carrey is excellent and it's one of the funnier Christmas films.
½ February 26, 2018
One of my family's favorites. Jim Carrey is brilliant.
February 24, 2018
it's because i'm green isn't it..

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

After walking out of this feature the only thing one remembers and discusses about is Jim Carrey and his excellent performance in it since beyond that it doesn't have anything to offer. How The Grinch Stole Christmas is a reasonable childish feature that fulfills and checks off each and every fantasy of a five year old kid but forgets to offer anything more than that in order to satisfy it and hence restraints itself to go bold. Ron Howard is disappointingly not in its A game resulting into some poor execution, amateur editing and loosely placed sequences. As mentioned earlier, its a Jim Carrey's show and he has a lot to offer in here, with amazing skill and perfect comic timing he demands attention from the viewers. How The Grinch Stole Christmas has some one liners, cliched comic sequences and petty writing that miraculously comes alive and helps survive it by stellar performance.
January 26, 2018
Loved the movie, it brought the cartoon to real life to me. Some parts of it was creepy but you could look over it with the sense of humor it brings.
January 19, 2018
My families favorite Christmas movie!! Lots of laughs from Carey
January 6, 2018
I have always liked this adaptation of the grinch more than the original
January 1, 2018
I would still love this movie even if it was growing on my ass!
December 31, 2017
(SEE 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas')
December 30, 2017
Exploring the Grinch's back story was such a disappointment. This is one classic story that didn't need to be reborn.
½ December 29, 2017
This movie was unfunny bad and there's a disturbing scene when the grinch lands in a girls boobs! Do not recommend it at all!!!
December 28, 2017
There are too many silly extended scenes featuring Carey. I thought the girl wasn't quite suited to her role, and the face costumes of the townspeople were a bit too scary.
½ December 27, 2017
Should have been an Animated Feature in the same vein as the Lorax and Horton hears a Who.
½ December 25, 2017
Jim Carrey is great in it, but in trying to expand the story, we get some boring nonsense. Kids who didn't grow up on the cartoon might dig it though...
½ December 23, 2017
Worst.Jim.Carrey.Movie.Ever. And that?s saying something.
December 22, 2017
It is so funny Jim Carey at his best
December 22, 2017
Jim Carey is AMAZING in this movie. Adults & children will marvel in the special effects, the story and of course, Carey's performance. I grew up with the cartoon; however, I smile like crazy when I watch the movie. In my household, Christmas doesn't begin until we see the Grinch's facial expressions & sarcastic under the breath comments!
½ December 22, 2017
Jim Carrey aside this is a godawful remake with terrible effects and its waste the excellent supporting cast.
December 21, 2017
How the Grinch stole Christmas (2000) - at first, started out with negative reviews from both critics and fans of the original 1966 animated special. Despite it's cold reception, the movie over the years found its redemption from the many young fans who have grown up watching this movie every holiday season. It has gained so much of a cult following that it has now surprisingly become a staple of the holidays but in my mind I always keep asking myself. is this movie as good as people make it out to be?
The Story: does at least try to find good ways to stretch and expand upon the original book's source material to fit the runtime, but a lot of the added ideas often seem oddly confusing or really misplaced. I'll give credit that somethings like the grinch's backstory and the troubles of modern christmas do sound like interesting ideas to be explored. The problem is that they do it in such an awkward and over the top way that it really makes it hard to sympathize with whatever is happening. It also doesn't help that the film really likes to have fun with it's nasty humor and it's mean spirited tone. It often makes most of the characters look unfriendly and unlikeable and it sadly does hurt a lot of the movie. On the bright side, some of the humor can be pretty funny and I can't deny that sometimes they do actually manage to get some things right with capturing the magic and feel of the book and the animated short. Even though it was trying in some ways, I still personally felt like the movie really misunderstood what made the book and the animated special so meaningful.
The Characters: are handled really poorly and none of them stuck out to me in terms of charm or likability. The only exception is Jim Carrey as the Grinch. Carrey feels like the only person that's ever really trying and His dedication into making his character lovable can really pay off. His comical take on a beloved Dr Seuss character is fun to watch. It's a more over the top tone but Carrey's energy really helped in bringing the nasty hairy green monster to life. Cindy lou who may also be another exception. Despite being a kid at the time, Taylor Momsen does pull of a rather charming performance and honesty, might be the only who in whoville that has some freaking common sense. The rest of the Characters are either portrayed as midless or just plain mean. I wouldn't mind the extra characters they used in the movie if they had some personality but they are really just one dimensional stereotypes with nothing interesting about them. The parents of Cindy are too dumb, Martha is bland female character and the Mayor is such a jerk both to his people and the Grinch. I want to be able to sympathize with as many characters as possible, but it's just so hard when everyone (With the exception of the Grinch and Cindy Lou) In the world of Whoville are completely despicable with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
The Cinematography: is undeniably pretty good especially for the time period this movie came out. I really appreciated how the people wanted to get the movie to look like the book by adding the oddly designed buildings and mechanisms that you would usually find in the Dr Seuss world. The Grinch's cave can also be impressive in how big and unusual a place it is for him to call home. The makeup on the Grinch is super impressive and the way Carrey manages to express emotion under all that latex is just fun to watch. Even the digital effects can really hold up and I like how they only use it when they really need to. Sometimes the faded colors and the musty look can be pretty distracting, The fast paced editing might be too much over the top and the who makeup is pretty freaky at points but everyone still did a very soiled job in making this movie as visually interesting as possible.
The Music: can have its moments of beauty especially when it comes to the song "Where are you Christmas" by Faith Hill. Sometimes I like to theorize that the whole movie was made just to advertise that song. It is downright beautiful and a great allegory to how commercialized Christmas has become over the years, and how we should all remember what Christmas used to be like back in the day. As for the orchestral track, it attempts to capture the tone of movie and for the most part it succeeds, though admittedly it's not quite as impressive.
Final verdict: It does fail in capturing the overall feeling and the core messages of the original source material but it surprisingly isn't the worst thing ever made. Heck, it's not even the worst christmas movie ever. The positive things i've discussed in this review are pretty much the saving graces of the entire movie. Despite its unnecessary mean spirited tone and some bad jokes I did find enough things that were good enough to save it from being a complete disaster. I will stick to watch the original animated special but if you still love the Grinch even despite all its flaws then all power to you. I'll enjoy the the the version I love and you guys can enjoy your version. (C-)
½ December 21, 2017
Ron Howard gives us a solid christmas movie with a solid heart. Jim Carrey is great as the Grinch