Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

January 22, 2017
Good movie, katie favourite
January 14, 2017
Almost cried at the end. I demote this to 4 stars because there are some gross out scenes not to my liking.
½ January 4, 2017
If you're in the mood for some Jim Carrey over the holidays, here it is. The Grinch is Dr. Seuss's classic bah humbug Christmas antihero. He's a meanie. This has a bit more backstory than the original rhyming tale. We find out WHY the Grinch is so mean.
January 2, 2017
The best since the cartoon came out. Giving the fact that he made it up as he went along is better than anything ever made.
½ January 1, 2017
TV Cartoon was way better. This is a 5 out of 10
December 30, 2016
The costume work on the main character is pretty good and the movie does have its moments, but the acting ranges from lazy to obnoxious and the humor is very disrespectful to the original Dr. Seuss classic. Not horrendous, but still pretty bad.
½ December 30, 2016
Surprisingly, much nicer than I thought it'd be.
December 27, 2016
This is probably one of my favourite Christmas movies!
December 27, 2016
I could watch this film everyday. In fact I have watched the first hour probably a hundred times. It is too long which is why I regularly bail out before the end.
½ December 26, 2016
Impressive makeup, a refreshing anti-commercialism spin, and a few laugh-out-loud moments can't save this film from Jim Carrey's over-hamming, cramped sets, bloated storytelling, and uninspired direction from Ron Howard. All involved have done better. Stick with the animated classic.
½ December 26, 2016
Jim Carrey was funny as the Grinch, but the movie was long and lacked a significant conflict and plot.
½ December 26, 2016
I got a lump in my throat when I saw this in the theater. Years later it is still a holiday favorite. My little one calls the green guy a crocodile.
December 24, 2016
I can not call this a good movie by any means, it's pretty stupid. This can only be a guilty pleasure and no more then that. Ron Howard is a great, talented director, but this is definitely one of his biggest miss-steps.
½ December 24, 2016
This is garbage. It takes the classic story and pads it with mind numbingly stupid plot elements and annoying dialogue. And the makeup effects, while detailed and unique, make the characters look rat like and hardly charming. Kids might like the bright colours and goofy noises, but adults would be better served just watching the 22 minute cartoon with Boris Karloff.
December 23, 2016
As a fan of the Dr Seuss book and the 1966 cartoon, I found this unsubtle, over-the-top adaption of the classic to be exceedingly grating and offensive. Jim Carrey does a great job managing the latex suit, but his performance is annoying, the script does a rather slow job at following the book, and the few jokes are too crude and adultish for a supposed "children's" film - let alone a Dr Suess story!
½ December 21, 2016
Jim did well, but the movie was dragging.
December 21, 2016
December 15th 2009
December 6th 2013
December 13th 2014
December 19th 2016
December 16, 2016
I hesitated because the original has such a place in my heart, but finally watched on Netflix.
I liked how they came up with a bit of a backstory for why he was so despicable, (not super original, the bullying) but I wondered about the love interest thread. Might the creators have lost sight of their audience?
Adored Max--the nicest dog acting I've seen in a while--and I noticed at least one Barenakedladies carol in Whoville!
½ December 15, 2016
A classic christmas movie that's easily forgotten still manages to send a powerful message. Jim Carrey really saves this movie from being forgotten.