Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

December 8, 2016
Jim Carrey being in this movie is the only redeeming quality. Seuss is probably rolling in his grave because of this and The Cat In the Hat. The who's look scary because everyone of them has their upper lip removed and the message is squandered because of how the who's react when their presents are stolen. They react by shouting and blaming others when the real message is shown greatly in the cartoon. Spend your time watching that instead.
½ December 6, 2016
Not that great, compares to the original animated special.
½ December 4, 2016
Its a good catalyst for Carrey but doesnt offer a lot more than that.
Grade: C-
December 3, 2016
Some scenes very overdrawn out but keeps the goofy charm of the Dr. Suess storytelling and animation.
½ November 28, 2016
It can't help but lose some of the classic source material's charm as a result of being translated to the big screen and adding multiple things here and there not seen in the book for cinematic purposes. Fortunately, the film manages to rise on the strength of the gleefully over-the-top Jim Carrey in the role of the titular character. The film may not be a holiday classic but it's still a guilty pleasure worth revisiting every once in a while.
November 28, 2016
One of the goofiest Christmas movies, and not for the better. There's some fun and appreciation to be had here, but it nowhere compares to the original.
½ November 27, 2016
I'm out of energy to review this movie - the Grinch stole it from me.
November 27, 2016
best movie I've ever seen very well made film
November 27, 2016
Definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time. Jim Carey absolutely shines in this role. The script is engaging and heartwarming, the characters are memorable, and the soundtrack is timeless.
November 10, 2016
While not the perfect Dr Seuss adaptation, Grinch has a solid message on materialism, and Jim Carrey's performance is not to be missed.
October 14, 2016
This movie was not my favorite I did not think it was funny. It may be a good Christmas movie to see or at any time. But I don't like this movie.
October 2, 2016
I wouldn't touch this movie with a 39 1/2 foot pole.
½ September 30, 2016
It wasn't as bad as the cat in the hat. But I would probably rent it if you have the chance. It isn't worth the buy.
September 26, 2016
Jim Carey is great in this movie. He has truly mastered this role.
½ September 16, 2016
Really good live action version. Definitely been a holiday tradition with the original since it came out.
½ September 13, 2016
The grinch looks kinda scary.
August 16, 2016
I'll give them credit for being ballsy enough to attempt this. When I first saw the trailer for this movie fifteen years ago, I was turned off. The original animated Grinch was so good, why would you want to even try a live-action version? I expected it to be lame which is why I've steered clear of it for over a decade. I finally decided to give it a chance and, I have to say, I'm really glad I did.

For those of you that don't know the story, the evil Grinch lives atop a mountain overlooking the city of Whoville. The Who's love Christmas, while The Grinch detests it. Not wanting anyone else to be happy, The Grinch decides to rob the townspeople of Christmas by stealing every single present they have.

The biggest draw of this story to me has always been the message behind it and none of that is lost in translation here. It's a heart-warming story that identifies the true meaning of Christmas. This movie will make you burst into laughter at times and can be heartbreaking at other times. The emotional mixture is both enjoyable and genuine. Director Ron Howard took the time to make the story his own while still staying true to the animated version. Hats off as well to Jim Carrey who stole the show with his protrayal of The Grinch. One favorite scene of mine that sticks out was one where The Grinch was trying to decide if he was going to accept an award the Who's were giving him. His back-and-forth on what he would wear was truly hilarious. I give this movie an 87.
August 5, 2016
HHAA DOWNRIGHT HILARIOUS
June 21, 2016
Live action adaptation of the classic book/animated film. If you were going to sit down and try to figure out someone to play the Grinch, I think they definitely got it right. Jim Carrey is well casted as the Grinch and does a good job with the script he was given. As this is a feature length film, they do have to pump a little more into the story than the original did, but it is appropriate.
½ June 19, 2016
Not in all means a bad movie, just an unfaithful adaptation with a few mean spirited characters, and some lame jokes.