Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas Reviews

½ December 14, 2017
When The Grinch first came out I liked it fine, but over time I kind of grew to look back on it in loathing. Years later watching it again I can see both sides. There's things here that I really like, and things here that I absolutely hate. It's a mixed bag if ever there was one.
First off, I like Jim Carrey as the Grinch. He's playful despicable, and captures the mischeivous nature the character has always had. He's also very expressive, with Jim Carrey's rubber face doing an impressive job working through the pounds of makeup and prosthetics. He can go a little overboard at times, but it never got to a point I found it obnoxious. I also like the sets in the film. Yeah it's basically the Dr. Seuss land from Universal Studios and you could argue it's just tie-in marketing, but I like the Dr. Seuss land. The roads are all crooked, the buildings weird and colorful, it's just a fun place to look at and I can't help but be impressed by the artistry of its design. I also like the Christmas spirit of the movie when it's there. It's not always there (I'll address that in a minute) but when it is it's extremely charming. Especially in the music, like the "Where Are You Christmas" song that's now semingly exceeded this movie in popularity. It's hokey, but charming.
As for the stuff I didn't like, oh boy, what's with the gross out stuff? Seriously this movie is often downright disgusting. There's weird wide-angle closeups of people's faces that just make me uncomfortable, and jokes about burps and farts and people kissing dogs butts. It's this stuff that pissed me off for years about this movie. I found it disgraceful to the memory of Dr. Seuss. Watching it again...yeah it's really a problem. I don't know how they thought this was a good direction to go with it, and it really drags the whole thing down quite a bit. The other big detractor for me was the film's really mean-spirited tone that loses some of the originals poignancy. In the original, the Whos didn't care that the Grinch took their material things. Here, they're materialisitc as hell, and need to learn the true meaning of Christmas. This loses the point of the original, the Grinch was the one who needed to learn, that was enough. Even if you are going to change it, they don't handle it well either, with a awkwardly quick turnaround.
If you like this movie, I get it. If you hate it, I get that too. If it's on TV, I'll watch a bit of it, and I'll be charmed by the things I liked and groan at the things I hate. There's just too much bad stuff for me to really consider it possitive overall, but there's enough good stuff that I can't totally bash it. Overall, it's inconsistent as hell, but fine.
December 14, 2017
It is really underrated.
½ December 11, 2017
This movie sucks not has good has to original
½ December 10, 2017
Hilarious! The kids loved nearly every minute of the comedy. Could have been a little more adult friendly, though.
½ December 7, 2017
Horrible movie. Don't waste your time!
½ December 7, 2017
This is a much better movie than it is given credit for. Touching lightly on the topic of bullying and heavy on the over-commercialism of Christmas, the expanded story of the Grinch is entertaining from start to finish. A masterful over the top performance by Jim Carrey and a thoughtful one by a young Taylor Momsen.
½ November 26, 2017
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH
November 25, 2017
Jim Carey trying desperately to stay relevant...move on already.
November 23, 2017
DEBERIA TENER 1000 ESTA PELICULA >:c
November 23, 2017
It's okay. Not the best Christmas movie out there.
November 21, 2017
The GRINCH is the best movie ever made...not really but its my favorite ha!
November 11, 2017
Very funny! A great family film :)
November 8, 2017
This rating is WRONG. How The Grinch Stole Christmas is one of the greatest movies of all time. This movie combines holiday spirit with comedy and a feel good story. Jim Carry does an impeccable job as the Grinch. And who doesn't love little Cindy Lou Who?! This movie is worlds better than the cartoon version. You Rotten Tomato critics are ROTTEN and don't know a good movie when you see one.
½ November 5, 2017
Not sure why this got such bad reviews. When you compare it to other Seuss feature length movies it's by far the best. Carry is perfect. Story line is good enough. Fun holiday movie.
October 20, 2017
The story is complexified a lot to make the time. There is a backstory of bullying by the mayor who wants the girl. The film gets a bit tiresome, the cuts are a bit long. The make up are great, the effects as well. It is funny often though. Sometimes bitter. The TV cartoon works well and seemslessly. The film is a bit more work and the grinch is not as evil as lonely. Cute moments but very different feel.
October 10, 2017
This movie is better than Mike Myers's The Cat in the Hat movie, Jim Carrey is The Grinch himself. I like this movie and ending song too
September 30, 2017
Top 10:

1. Citizen Kane (1941)

2. The Dark Knight (2008)

3. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)

4. The Godfather (1972)

5. Schindler's List (1993)

6. The Birth Of A Nation (1915)

7. Pulp Fiction (1994)

8. Do The Right Thing (1989)

9. King Kong (1933)

10. Fantasia (1940)
September 27, 2017
Not my favorite Dr. Seuss movie that they made I found it to boring and not interesting to watch
August 18, 2017
The perfect film to get you in the Christmas mood. Jim Carrey is brilliant as the Grinch
August 16, 2017
I would give more stars if it would not be toooo Hollywood