How to Deal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Deal Reviews

October 18, 2014
The consensus says it's a "soap opera for teens". Even for the early noughties, Degrassi and everything else on cable succeeded at that department without needing forced, forgettable melodrama or Mandy Moore in the starring role.
August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - Fall 2007)
May 31, 2014
An adaptation of two novels: "The Summer" & "Someone Like You" by Sarah Dessen. The film has a solid realistic concept of a 17 year old girl: Halley Martin played by Mandy Moore dealing with growing up while feeling out of place with the people around her. She is dissllusioned with love after seeing the dysfunctional relationships around her. In some ways the film is actually interesting and feels genuine. Mandy Moore does a decent job but not being a seasoned actress she makes some of her dialogue sound more intelligent than the character she plays. Other teen actors in the film aren't fully believable in their roles making things feel forced. This alongside with the situations Halley finds herself in and her rections turns this into a "teen melodramatic" stereotype rather than the good or even great coming of age film it could have been.
½ November 21, 2013
Really good and underrated coming of age movie dealing with realistic issues. Great performance by Mandy Moore.
½ September 7, 2013
does any one know what the books were called that this movie is based on?
½ September 7, 2013
Nice little teen movie featuring a younger Mandy Moore. I actually upped my rating half a star after a recent re watch. I can remember when I first bought this I found it so-so, but actually I think that was harsh.
Yes, it's a little too cute, but some very real issues are dealt with here such as parents breaking up, first love, and teen pregnancy. The cast are all just lovely. Alexandra Holden is quite an underrated actress, and I liked the guy who plays Mandy's boyfriend (not sure who he was).
Mandy's character, Halley is very spiky and strong for a teen movie. A nice change from the usual.
Enjoyable. Vastly better than many teen movies I have seen. Not bad soundtrack too.
June 28, 2013
by the end of all these eyebrow raising cliches there is actually something a bit enjoyable underneath.
½ June 15, 2013
Good music and fabulous clothes. Otherwise entirely uninteresting or original or worth watching. One of those things I never would have heard of or considered watching if it weren't for the awfulness that is Saturday tv.
June 10, 2013
Ha Mandy Moore with short hair looks gorgeous the movie its ok nothing espetial but funny
½ May 1, 2013
April 13th 2010
April 30th 2013
March 16, 2013
Im freaking out that I finally found this movie...gosh i've been looking for this for a while. Yep based on Sarah Dessen's book "Someone like you" and "this summer" and you guys probably knew I always a sucker for an adaptation was beautiful, cute, and oh, I have a big crush for the soundtrack, the list was wicked!
March 3, 2013
One of my favorite Mandy Moore films, this has everything a good teen movie should have: romance, drama, family conflicts, friendship, divorce, rebellious teens, single parenting, and the growing pains of youth.

The only reasoning I can find for why the critics hated this movie, is because almost none of them had to deal with any serious parental challenges, and none had the empathy to relate to those who did.

How To Deal is one of the more inspirational movies I have seen, and having fairly recently emancipated myself from a similar situation, I think it accurately, elegantly, and powerfully expresses the drama of teen angst and broken families quite well, offering a beautiful message of hope at the end. Particularly as a Teen slice-of-life romantic movie, this film was fantastic!
½ February 24, 2013
I went and saw this with my friends, Frances and George.

George could not deal.
February 5, 2013
i love this movie. Mandy Moore is darling on screen. Classic movie.
½ January 7, 2013
SOMEONE made watch this stupid movie TWICE.
½ December 25, 2012
one of my fav movies of all time!
½ December 22, 2012
Una película aburrida sin nada interesante que ofrecer.
December 20, 2012
Slightly depressing, and Mandy Moore can be really annoying at times. But it was still an enjoyable movie.
December 7, 2012
Standard film, mediocre, nothing further, worth one watch or two.
September 18, 2012