How To Die In Oregon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How To Die In Oregon Reviews

May 25, 2016
Should also be known as "How to Cry in [insert state your viewing it in]." It's an excellent documentary that won't leave you once your finished with it.
February 29, 2016
I saw this in 2011 at the Hot Docs Film Festival. A must see before making a decision on Dr Assisted Dying.
½ November 7, 2015
How to die in Oregon es un documental que explora la decision de personas con enfermedades terminales de finalizar sus vidas de manera segura y en sus propios términos.

Desde el año 1994, Oregon se convirtió en el primer estado de USA en legalizar el suicidio asistido. Esta ley contempla a personas que tienen menos de 6 meses de vida. El proceso consiste en suministrar una dosis de pastillas fatal, las cuales dejan a la persona inconsciente, y les permite morir sin sufrimiento. Este documental muestra los casos de varias personas que toman la difícil decisión de morir de esta manera, especialmente el caso de una mujer llamada Cody, a la cual acompañamos en el difícil camino en el cual poco a poco su enfermedad se va apoderando de su vida y la de su familia, lo cual la deja vulnerable emocionalmente y físicamente.

El lado a favor de esta ley logra establecer un caso solido, ya que demuestra que no es una decisión que se toma a la ligera, sino que es el ultimo recurso para que una persona pueda tener una muerte digna. Por otra parte, sus retractores discuten que esta ley podría ser targiversada por personas, solo con el objetivo de cobrar el seguro de vida de sus familiares, lo cual es bastante difícil, porque antes de siministrarle la dosis a las personas, se les hace un estudio exhaustivo a sus vidas, para estar seguros de que esta es una decisión tomada solamente por la persona.

How to Die in Oregon logra exponer este tema tan complejo con compasión y apertura. Es informativo, pero a la vez tiene un aspecto emocional que es imposible ignorar.
October 6, 2015
This is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Highly recommended.
September 24, 2015
This is an incredible film about a very important topic. Worth watching with your book club and discussing. We all need to have hard discussions about what we might want or not when we face the end of our lives or the lives of those we love. Have the conversation LONG before you ever need to!
June 19, 2015
This Is the most emotionally powerful movie I have ever seen. i still think about every few days even though I saw it over a week ago. The difficulty of the questions it explores regarding a persons individual rights at the end of their life cannot be underestimated. The result through is incredibly uplifting. Codys story is so inspirational. This film likely to inspire a national movement to change the laws that currently restrict end of liefe optional in 48 states. Incredibly complling film which truly transcends the screen.
May 18, 2015
This movie will move you to tears,and make you feel more human than you knew you were.
May 15, 2015
I stumbled across this film about the "Right to Die" movement in Oregon (and Washington State). It is one of the finest documentaries I have ever seen. It will be difficult to shake.
May 5, 2015
Incredibly beautiful and humane documentary. I stand behind Dying with Dignity 100%. Very, very affecting and moving documentary.
½ March 17, 2015
Fascinating and complicated but ultimately too long and missing vital details.
February 23, 2015
From the opening scene to the last this movie clearly defines the need for assisted suicide in this country. A compelling case indeed to allow those afflicted with terminal illness the right to die with dignity. Thank you, Oregon. May Nevada follow your lead!
February 18, 2015
Very informational but also incredibly sad and emotional!! Be prepared to cry
February 15, 2015
Most emotional documentary I've ever seen.
February 6, 2015
I cried so much for Cody and her family. In the end her right to end her suffering and her life made the prospect of dying less scary for me, and I'm grateful for that. I hope one day everyone who suffers unimaginable pain is allowed to make this decision for themselves. I also cried for the lady who fought to bring this right to Washington state. She was so brave and tireless.
November 15, 2014
All people should have this right. Very graceful and dignified.
November 9, 2014
I had this in my queue, avoided it forever, and then sat down for a doc on a Sunday afternoon and thought... maybe it's just about the politics, I'll give it a shot. Nope. There was a very nice lady. She had a very bad cancer. Ended up spending a good chunk of the afternoon in tears. (There are politics in there too.) Totally worth it though. It was an abstract idea; it just seems obvious that people should be able to choose for themselves. This doc makes the idea kind of visceral. How this isn't legal everywhere is beyond me.
October 9, 2014
Quite possibly the most emotionally overwhelming documentary I have ever seen.
September 4, 2014
Moving and compassionate but one of the hardest watches I've ever had. An incredibly powerful observational doc on Oregon's 'Death With Dignity' act and its effect on several families.
June 14, 2014
This documentary is the saddest, most important thing I've ever watched. Aside from all the controversy around this subject, the only word to describe being able to decide for yourself how you wish to leave this world is respect - respect for who you are, respect and acknowledgement for all you gave to this world - by giving to you, what you feel is true. It seems wrong that those who live choose by force to determine someone else's journey through death unless that's how it unfolds by circumstance. I would also suspect that only those close to death can feel God and what God wants much more profoundly than those living well and far from death's call.