How to Draw a Bunny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Draw a Bunny Reviews

July 31, 2014
this doc. is as well made as it is well named as ray johnson was, well, enigmatic.
½ September 8, 2013
Even the people they asked to talk in this documentary didn't know the guy. Sorry people I was not impressed. Very tedious and non interesting and I like the idea of this guys art but I don't know If I'm a fan of his work.
½ March 2, 2011
Ray Johnson made art, he did his thing, he had a creative surplus of ideas flowing in his noggin, he wasn't focused on fame or money, he found joy in expressing himself in mostly unlucrative mediums. He had a lot of personality, he carried himself as a wonder. This documentary covers all that, pulling dead talent out of obscurity, for a collage artist reborn from the ashes of infamy, featuring this, that and Warhol, during the pop art days in New York.
December 15, 2010
While the work of Ray Johnson seems very interesting, and his death enigmatic, I'm having trouble making it through this documentary. The thing is, Johnson was so reclusive and enigmatic, that nobody has much to offer about him other than variations of "I didn't really know the guy but he sent me this really cool postcard once." I think I would be better served with a book of his artwork than this so-far static documentary.
November 24, 2010
Limited audience biopic. To the extent anything about abstract artist Ray Johnson lends itself to the description "straight-forward", "How to Draw a Bunny" is a straight-forward documentary about the man's life. The films spends some time on building mystery over Johnson's eventual suicide at 62 but the mystery turns out to be a little less surprising than the ending of "Titanic". Otherwise the documentary traces Johnson's life from childhood through the growth of his reputation in the abstract art community presenting mostly unknown contemporaries with the exception of Christo and his wife Jean-Claude. These friends, fellow artists and others can give little insight into understanding Johnson's remote collages or his unusual behavior. Ultimately, whether you enjoy the film depends on whether you find an interest in Johnson 's art and life which limits the audience for the film severely.
April 20, 2010
a documentary on one of the most mysterious artists of the 20th century.
October 2, 2009
Documentary on the life (and death) of artist Ray Johnson who had his hey day in the 70s and 80s. One of the best documentaries on an artists life I have seen, especially since Ray Johnson's personality is a smite more complex than even the most outlandish artist. VERY well captured and documented. I'd recommend to not only fans of Ray Johnson's work, but to any art enthusiast.
August 16, 2009
Mensch werden ist eine kunst
May 5, 2009
i never thought of whipping a cardboard box until i saw this art documentary. i wish i had seen it sooner.
½ April 11, 2009
Art is anything you can get away with...
½ April 11, 2009
very interesting, just not my type of artwork.
March 19, 2009
this is my favorite movie!
November 30, 2008
Incredible wealth of anecdotes. Good introduction to Johnson.
August 7, 2008
I have no idea how I ended up renting this movie - maybe it was a recommendation from a friend or from Netflix? I never even heard of Ray Johnson, and this movie, among other things, tells of his lack of fame. I like the mystery surrounding it, as well as the snapshot of life in the 50s and 60s on the LES. And, I ended up loving Ray Johnson's art because of this film. Correspondence Art! We need more of it.
July 27, 2008
the true story about an artist who lived his life as an artwork. he was his own subject.
July 18, 2008
Kept my attention throughout. I'm really intrigued with Ray Johnson's art; it's frustrating that there are no reproductions to purchase since he never had exhibitions.
June 19, 2008
Robert Castro, all the way
½ June 17, 2008
A very real look into the life of a talented and overlooked artist. Ray Johnson, unfortunately, is not as renowned as artists like Warhol, even though his collage work is amazing! I find it funny in a dark way that his last "performance" is in fact the reason people know of him. I guess he knew he his life would continue through his creations.
May 29, 2008
Fascinating portrait of a fascinating artist. This film inspired me to start working on my own art again.
May 24, 2008
Documentary portrait of elusive collagist and performance artist Ray Johnson is quietly absorbing throughout, gently drawing the viewer toward a devastating final revelation.