How to Draw a Bunny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Draw a Bunny Reviews

½ October 19, 2007
As comprehensive a portrait as can be made about such an enigmatic figure. Great, great documentary.
October 16, 2007
Probably the best documentary about an American artist ever made. Though the artist was difficult (at best) to understand, this film provides as much insight as humanly possible into his character and motivations. Important to anyone interested in 20th century art.
October 13, 2007
I didn't really learn how to draw a bunny.....
October 10, 2007
I heart Ray Johnson.
½ September 21, 2007
this was a wonderful story of a person who is so seemingly unaware it makes me sick with jealousy. the film has a nice pace to it and the storytellers are sincere and passionate about the tales they have of their friend, Ray Johnson.
September 14, 2007
nicely done considering it would have been pretty boring
½ September 6, 2007
Saw this in studio, and the director very artfully and skillfully told the story his weird life! i only got bored once during this documentary (that's pretty good). i liked it!
August 13, 2007
the most inspiring film to my own art that i have seen to date as well as a keen portrait of such a mysterious figure.
August 3, 2007
Ray Johnson was not just an artist; he was a work of art. This well done documentary highlights Johnson's mail art and collages. Sometimes the process is as important as the result.
½ July 23, 2007
A great documentary about the artist Ray Johnson who was able to force his work into the major galleries
July 17, 2007
informative, very. i'm not one for documentaries, but the life of Ray Johnson made a very good one.
July 16, 2007
A somewhat interesting look at a mentally retarded "artist". The only really fascinating thing about his work was how someone could find it complex enough to make a movie about it.
½ July 2, 2007
Excellent show on the life of an American artist. even if you don't know who the artist is it's worth watching. he was severely devoted to his craft, which you don't get the feeling of in much of todays art.
June 18, 2007
I caught this on Sundance and became instantly obsessed with the legend of Ray Johnson. Lots of big names in the art world are interviewed.
½ June 10, 2007
This movie is one of the most amazing films about a person's life I have ever seen.
½ June 8, 2007
I love Ray Johnson's artwork and the film is always on the sundance channel so every time i see it, it just reminds me of how artistic a person can be that that love for art can lead to someones own demise. what a delightful film this is.
May 30, 2007
This movie is an amazing documentary about an artist whose entire life was an art project.
January 29, 2007
:fresh: - This was just okay. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really had nothing better to do OR were really into art. The artwork is interesting but I did find myself zoning out and falling asleep.
September 26, 2006
A documentary about Ray Johnsons life as a artist, the guy dedicated his life to art and everything revolved around his artistic nature. You learn he is a wierd wierd fellow and the results of the investigation into his death you find out how he thought...good but so wierd.

:fresh:
½ April 12, 2006
Wow so I just got through Total Eclipse. I don't even know why I waited until the end. Just was hoping something would happen.

Now I don't tend to be a fan of movies about artists, unless they're by Milos Forman, and this film is no exception. And don't get me wrong, I love good art. It's just that, this movie is about one kid (Leonardo DiCaprio) who's obviously pretty cool, and probably a decent artist, getting his dick sucked all day by some ugly bald guy. And then the ugly bald guy is some kind of lesser poet too, and his wife can't get enough of him so he beats her and sets her hair on fire because she isn't as cool as Leonardo DiCaprio. What a plot, eh?
This is the kind of movie that makes you wonder what good art is at all. It makes me wonder why so many classic poets were totally gay, and which is the horse and which is the carrige. Most of the movie I was pretending this was about Alan Ginsberg being in love with William S. Burroughs. See how many classic poets you can compare the tale to! I mean, don't bother watching it, just compare.
Somehow this sadistic film drags out this love hierarchy through a grueling fifteen hours (or something like that) of repetetive disciple-abuse. It's all about artists hating people who like them. And love not being real, and all sorts of other very jaded messages.
Oh, I did like one quote. "Love needs to be reinvented."
I like it because of its revolutionary and reinventing the moment tone, although in this film it is definitely about abandoning your wife because she doesn't entice your soul as much as the 15 year old poet you let live in your wife's parents' basement.

Oh but if you do like movies about artists scamming thier ways into crummy lives, I would sooner reccommend "How to Draw a Bunny."