How to Go Out on a Date in Queens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Go Out on a Date in Queens Reviews

June 9, 2014
It was great to see Jason Alexander in a movie, but this movie is nothing spectacular.
July 21, 2011
This is a wonderful movie to watch on a date! Directed and produced by Michelle Danner (the renowned acting coach at Edgemar who also stars in this as a sex-crazed eccentric), How to Go out on a Date in Queens perfectly blends comedy, romance, drama and features an interesting ensemble of character actors. Interestingly, Jason Alexander has the least comedic role out of the cast as a gambler in trouble for owing money. He is always great though in everything he does. Christine Dunford is hilarious as his lover who will do anything to help him out and be with him. Ron Perlman has a small role as the gambler hunting down Jason Alexander's character. Stan (played by Brian Drillinger) narrates the beginning of the film and sets the tone with his New Yorker accent as the dating expert with very specific rules. Right after the narration, he is seen advising his widowed friend, Artie (played by the handsome Rob Estes), on what to do on a date since he hasn't dated for many years. Artie is a nice blue collar worker who is broken-hearted over his dead wife. He isn't familiar with the game playing and bullshitting of the dating world that Stan encourages. Stan sets him up on a date with Laura (Michelle Danner) while on a double-date with his girlfriend (played by the adorable Kimberly Williams-Paisley). Hilarity then ensues on this "worst date ever" while other side stories are interspersed throughout. Michelle Danner is a riot in this! I couldn't stop laughing when she hits on Artie! I loved the music, the story and the acting. How to Go out on a Date in Queens is quite a charming little film.
½ August 11, 2010
Multiple-story movies rarely succeed. And Rob Estes' breakdown scene shifts from touching to awkwardly ridiculous.
January 26, 2010
different relationship stories of the people in a restaurant in a day...not funny, sometimes cute, and all with a happy ending...not a must to see, only if there is nothing else to watch...
½ January 26, 2009
Truly mediocre, yet we watched it till the end. You can find better than this, even if you've picked your video store clean.
December 9, 2008
indie rom com with lacklustre cast and a semi-heart-filled ending. many truths hit home. jason alexander was a nutsack in this one.
November 15, 2008
With all of the quality actors/actresses in this movie... I can't believe they'd stoop to making this kind of junk movie. Had a lot of potential for about the first 20 minutes and then it went really weird...
October 12, 2008
Hilarious, dark, truthful & intuitive for the first 2/3, then it all goes downhill. Rob Estes is cute but OVER ACTS, as does most of the cast. Watch the bit up until he tears up and then turn it off! 4 and 1/2 starst for the first 2/3 and then 1 for the last!!!
July 19, 2008
I wasn't sure about this film, but it was a pleasant surprise. Very dark comedy, with many twists and turns ... not to mention some hilarious one-liners. It's really a little gem of the indie scene, and worth the watch.
June 7, 2008
This is a very well done little movie, that didn't make it to the big theatres. I went to the premiere and also have one of my songs in it: "Faith". Ron Pearlman and Jason Alexander 's characters are very convincing and funny and real, as well as Rob Estes and the rest of the actors are doing a great job. Well worth seeing, not a family movie though.
September 2, 2006
Pleasant, amusing with a good cast. Alison Eastwood gives a really fine performance. I hope to see her in more films. Great score, nicely paced. Nothing spectacular but quite watchable.