How to Make an American Quilt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Make an American Quilt Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
Enveloped me in a blanket of magic that captured the 40s/50's ZING. Gave an insight to how life is not as it seems and to remember not to judge a book by its cover. Open the book and read the pages within.....
June 27, 2016
A female-centric themed movie that delights and entertains. I return to this over the years time and again. This is my filmic chicken-soup for the soul.
December 22, 2015
Pretty much a Lifetime movie that snuck into theaters. Only watched because I had a thing for Winona Ryder at the time (who looks really hot in this btw).
September 28, 2014
Love it, '90s gold! They don't make chick flicks like this anymore...this has real substance. Music score is phenomenal.
April 29, 2014
Directed by Australian Jocelyn Moorhouse (Proof (1991) and A Thousand Acres (1997)) and based on the bestseller by Whitney Otto. This character led drama, which has some good performances and is very moving. But, it's very episodic, and the only central core weaving it together, (pardon the analogy), are the quilts the title suggests, but it doesn't manage to outstay it's welcome. Finn (Winona Ryder) is a young graduate student who has just completed a master's thesis and is due to be married to Sam (Dermot Mulroney). However, before that happens, Finn wants to spend one last summer of freedom with her great aunt Glady Joe (Anne Bancroft) and grandmother Hyacinth (Ellen Burstyn), who have a family tradition of making quilts, which has been passed through the family and friends including Sophia Darling (Lois Smith), Em Reed (Jean Simmons) and Anna (Maya Angelou). As the older generation pass around stories of their love lives and their hardships in love. Finn begins to question whether Sam might be right for her, and her course too. It's a soppy chick-flick which mixes love, heartache, a splash of humour and haberdashery too. But it's another romantic film that shows love isn't perfect, and neither is life. It has some great actors in it too, with appearances from Jared Leto, Rip Torn, Richard Jenkins, Claire Danes, Adam Baldwin and Kate Capshaw.
½ April 5, 2014
Awful. One negative cliche about women after another. The main character can't commit, can't finish anything, has no ideas of her own, and doesn't know what she wants. Her female relatives bicker and betray one another. (but oh so lovingly?) and, as far as I got, talk only about men and relationships with men. Really? Someone told me this movie passed the Bechdel test, but it didn't in the first 25 minutes, after which we shut it off. Also has really annoying and repetitive score of a piano tinkling endlessly.
½ March 26, 2014
another good chick flick
½ March 9, 2014
Nice, but in spite of the stellar cast, not great.
January 20, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that winona ryder, anne bancroft, maya angelou, ellen burstyn, kate nelligan, jared leto (from the brilliant band 30 seconds to mars), Dermot Mulroney, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that winona ryder was brilliant throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......i think that jared leto was great throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is a great movie for 1995 to watch its a really powerful drama movie but its a love story as well to watch its such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch......i think that this is a good movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its so really well written movie 2 watch but its a great drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a good romantic movie 2 watch as well its such a good movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie its such a good romantic movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch...........
½ September 16, 2013
Nice story. I love winona ryder.
July 25, 2013
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
April 25, 2013
amazing movie! life and love stories of different woman guide young woman to her right life path and help her find where she belongs.
February 6, 2013
A nice film to watch in the afternoon though not fantastic.
December 14, 2012
Really good film about the choices we make in life when it comes to love. If we follow our hearts we have to be brave and we have to be careful of things that may dull the marriage. Love and life is what we make it!
November 30, 2012
Good script but... I hate liers & cheaters.
DrStrangeblog
½ October 23, 2012
Not without merit by highlighting the silent sacrifices of women from more repressed times, but still pretty dull.
September 21, 2012
one of my favourite movies
½ September 21, 2012
Ambitious, and Winona Ryder is charming as usual, but the film isn't strong enough. (I rate films out of 4 stars. 2.5/4)
September 19, 2012
the pacing was quite slow, but its a good movie actually.
September 7, 2012
It's a great cast, unfortunately Winona seems out of place for such a great story.