How to Make an American Quilt Reviews

• Jul 25, 2019

The film's attempt at social commentary is a patchwork all in itself, and the story structure begins to get monotonous after a while, but strong performances by Ellen Burstyn and Anne Bancroft, among others, help to make the film watchable. Winona Ryder, on the other hand, is entirely unremarkable, delivering some of the most unintentionally deadpan narration I've ever heard.

• Dec 09, 2017

Had not seen this movie in a over 15 years. Decided to give it another shot. Can be both Heartbreaking and Tedious at times. The performances are first rate though. An incredible cast of classic and future stars. Bancroft, Simmons, Burnstyn, Ryder, Leto, Mulroney and even a small part for Claire Danes. Growing up, I have learned to really appreciate this little gem of a movie.

• Jun 27, 2016

Enveloped me in a blanket of magic that captured the 40s/50's ZING. Gave an insight to how life is not as it seems and to remember not to judge a book by its cover. Open the book and read the pages within.....

• Jun 27, 2016

A female-centric themed movie that delights and entertains. I return to this over the years time and again. This is my filmic chicken-soup for the soul.

• Dec 22, 2015

Pretty much a Lifetime movie that snuck into theaters. Only watched because I had a thing for Winona Ryder at the time (who looks really hot in this btw).

• Sep 28, 2014

Love it, '90s gold! They don't make chick flicks like this anymore...this has real substance. Music score is phenomenal.

• Apr 29, 2014

Directed by Australian Jocelyn Moorhouse (Proof (1991) and A Thousand Acres (1997)) and based on the bestseller by Whitney Otto. This character led drama, which has some good performances and is very moving. But, it's very episodic, and the only central core weaving it together, (pardon the analogy), are the quilts the title suggests, but it doesn't manage to outstay it's welcome. Finn (Winona Ryder) is a young graduate student who has just completed a master's thesis and is due to be married to Sam (Dermot Mulroney). However, before that happens, Finn wants to spend one last summer of freedom with her great aunt Glady Joe (Anne Bancroft) and grandmother Hyacinth (Ellen Burstyn), who have a family tradition of making quilts, which has been passed through the family and friends including Sophia Darling (Lois Smith), Em Reed (Jean Simmons) and Anna (Maya Angelou). As the older generation pass around stories of their love lives and their hardships in love. Finn begins to question whether Sam might be right for her, and her course too. It's a soppy chick-flick which mixes love, heartache, a splash of humour and haberdashery too. But it's another romantic film that shows love isn't perfect, and neither is life. It has some great actors in it too, with appearances from Jared Leto, Rip Torn, Richard Jenkins, Claire Danes, Adam Baldwin and Kate Capshaw.

• Apr 05, 2014

Awful. One negative cliche about women after another. The main character can't commit, can't finish anything, has no ideas of her own, and doesn't know what she wants. Her female relatives bicker and betray one another. (but oh so lovingly?) and, as far as I got, talk only about men and relationships with men. Really? Someone told me this movie passed the Bechdel test, but it didn't in the first 25 minutes, after which we shut it off. Also has really annoying and repetitive score of a piano tinkling endlessly.

• Mar 26, 2014

another good chick flick

another good chick flick

• Mar 09, 2014

Nice, but in spite of the stellar cast, not great.

Nice, but in spite of the stellar cast, not great.