How to Marry a Millionaire Reviews

• May 18, 2019

An elegant comedy from the 50's albeit nothing in particular awesome about it. The cast is excellent, especially Lauren Baccal (Marilyn is implied, of course); there are some good and funny moments.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Jan 15, 2018

I'll say up front this film was fascinating to me for its cast, and what seemed to be an improbable pairing of Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, and Betty Grable, as well as including William Powell in his second-to-last film. The subject, three gold diggers who are out to marry rich men, takes some time to warm up to, as between Bacall's hard conniving and Monroe's dizziness, there is not an awful lot to like early on. However, it grew on me. There is a playfulness in the dialogue and I liked expressions like "sounds creamy to me" as well as the references to Bacall's real-life relationship to that "that old fella what's his name in The African Queen", and Grable's real-life husband Harry James, whose music she can't recognize in the film. Monroe plays her part very well, blending sweetness and seduction as only she could, and aside from seeing her in a bathing suit as part of a modeling show, the shot that captures her image in five mirrors in a washroom is fantastic. There is such a nice sense of fashion in the film, and I loved Grable in a purple dress towards the end. Powell at age 61 is smooth, sophisticated, and stoic, and a joy to watch. I'm not so sure about Bacall, who isn't as strong comedically and less endearing, but overall, it's a strong cast with obviously lots of star power. Director Jean Negulesco tells the story well, sometimes simply informing of us events on one of the three story lines instead of showing them, which keep things moving and is effective. (On the other hand, it was a little tedious at the beginning, as things only get going after an interminably long orchestra piece). He also gives us some nice shots of New York and the snow in "Maine" (apparently actually Sun Valley, Idaho). I doubt the film will blow you away or anything, as it's predictable and light, but it's also entertaining.

• Jan 10, 2018

not bad. Marilyn Monroe shines as usual in this 50s movie where the leading ladies try their best to marry the man with the most money some funny moments

• Nov 03, 2017

Somehow I thought this was going to be a musical, another genre I've come to late (alongside westerns, war films, and foreign films from Spanish-speaking countries). But instead - not. What we have here is a very dated comedy (you can tell from the title) that finds models Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, and Betty Grable on a quest to find rich husbands. The prospects include dapper (but very sedate) William Powell, faker Alexander D'Arcy, and already married Fred Clark - but as things turn out, other men (not always millionaires) turn out to be of greater interest. Bacall takes the lead with Monroe (playing short-sighted and air-headed) and Grable (even more air-headed) adding comic relief. There are a few sly references to the stars' other careers but nothing here led to any major chuckles on my part. One of the early CinemaScope features but director Jean Negulesco doesn't really take full advantage of the format. Still, apart from the explicit sexism, there's nothing really wrong with this silly film and it is good to see Bacall embarking on her solo career.

• May 04, 2017

The cast elevates this average script into a enjoyable comedy.

The cast elevates this average script into a enjoyable comedy.

• Oct 02, 2016

societies pressures to get/be married, marring for money

societies pressures to get/be married, marring for money

• Oct 01, 2016

So happy to have gotten to see this film on the big screen, even though the film its self was covered in dust and scratches. The acting was great and the laughs were enough to fill a boat full simply a great comedy. The only part of it that I disliked was the 6-minute orchestra showing at the start, to me it was quite pointless. but over all I must give this film a 4.5 out of 5.

• Mar 12, 2016

Envelheceu, sim, mal, mas o roteiro é engraçado e o charme das três protagonistas é enorme.

• Feb 14, 2016

Boy, is this film boring. The first 15 minutes is insufferable, and inexplicably opens with a big band number played in its entirety. It has a big cast, but the story is irritating and hard to stick with. I enjoy watching older films, but this didn't cut it.