How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying Reviews

½ December 22, 2011
Now I get the in-joke of casting Robert Morse on "Mad Men."
December 10, 2011
I liked this musical very much. This despite only one memorable song, " I believe in You", and very little dancing. However it has a pleasant storyline with good actors and no real "down" moments.
½ September 15, 2011
Colourful, energetic, fun, charming in its outdated sexual incorrectness. Underneath the campy musical numbers & silly fun, director Swift manages to sneak in plenty of astute satire about the evolution of American big business & consumerism.
August 24, 2011
The ensemble cast was GREAT, making this musical a treat to watch (loved Bob Fosse's staging).
½ August 19, 2011
A wonderful score from Frank Loesser (Guys and Dolls) and a charming performance from Robert Morse are enough reasons to enjoy this movie musical. It's also one of the few handful of musicals to win a Pulitzer Prize! I highly recommend this movie.
July 28, 2011
An absolutely fun and wonderfully directed musical. The cast and costumes are brilliant. The story is non stop entertaining and has an excellent score.
July 6, 2011
On Netflix instant play! How was this not even on my radar before?! Seriously funny :)
March 21, 2011
Can't believe I haven't seen this before now! Fun, colorful musical with great music. Going to get the soundtrack right now!
½ March 5, 2011
I guess part of the point of it is that the protagonist is sort of a scumbag, but it makes it rather unenjoyable. Also, I found the songs rather tedious.
½ February 1, 2011
The odd musical where the book is far better than the (mostly negligible) songs. Also, are we sure that Robert Morse wasn't just Dave Foley with a time machine? At any rate, he makes for a wonderfully odd leading man, flirting with just about everyone on screen except his love interest. Watch him get uncomfortably close to people at every turn, whether offering impromptu backrubs, talking too close, or just weirdly nuzzling people mid-conversation.
½ January 26, 2011
See how Bert Cooper got to where he is.
½ January 17, 2011
As someone who usually does not enjoy musicals, this movie won me over within a couple minutes. I was very worried that wacky concept would wear itself thin by the end of the movie, but I was consistently laughing throughout the film. I am dissapointed that "Coffee Break" was left out of the film, but Robert Morse's bizzarre manerisms had me forgetting that the song wasn't there. Some people might not enjoy the complete oddity that Morse plays, but I thought that he had some of the most humorous facial expressions that I've ever seen. All in all, this is a fantastic movie. The writting is clever, songs are good, and the acting had me laughing for two full hours.
January 10, 2011
Checked this out mainly for the slight "Mad Men" association: a young Robert Morse vamping his way to the top of the NYC business world. Really though, besides Morse's joyful physical comedy and a few vestigial Bob Fosse choreographical cues, this is pure, frothy Broadway hockspittle at its broadest and most obvious. If you like the musical theatre style of plotting, character, and humour, then this may well be up your alley. Perhaps I'm too snobbish to slum it like that, but I just find the Broadway style to be deeply stupid, sorry. This isn't all crap, but it mostly is. Oh, and if you subject yourself to it, watch for Morse's VP Advertising office: it's decorated with an Eastern Art motif, which is surely being referenced by Morse's office as Bert Cooper on "Mad Men".
December 13, 2010
Original Mad Man Robert Morse takes the lead as a window washer determined to rise up through the corporate ranks. The slick dancing along with the candy colored sets and costumes make this film a sardonic delight.
½ December 10, 2010
Such a hilarious musical comedy, it's charming and enjoyable, and has a great cast of not so well known actors. The story is just what it says, a young guy gets a book with the same title as the movie, and follows the steps to quickly climb the corporate ladder with so much ease, that it's ridiculous. This makes fun of the corporate workplace and job hunting. I loved it, and I highly recommend it.
½ September 13, 2010
If you have ever wondered what Mad Men would have been like had it been made in the 60's as a musical, then this is the film for you. It features great musical numbers such as "A Secretary Is Not A Toy," and is generally all around inappropriate. A bit long, but truly a fascinating film from a special time in corporate history.
July 22, 2010
Affable enough musical, but overlong, and the central performance by Robert Morse (now of Mad Men) seems much more like a Jerry Lewis impersonation than acting.
April 20, 2010
I love musicals with some substance to them and this is that. Also Robert Morse is just fantastic.
October 2, 2009
a fun musical set with stylish sixties flair
July 31, 2009
Amazing movie, very enjoyable.