Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train Reviews

October 9, 2015
The bio-documentary here is essentially an oral history of the greatest historian of our times.
October 27, 2014
This was one sided, poorly made, and not even interesting propaganda. Howard Zinn was not a historian and the obvious pandering to this fraud was laughable. His political historic revision has been debunked by scholars yet still he has a following among the politically indoctrinated who have no use for facts and only believe in what they feel. This avowed Marxist has successfully manipulated useful idiots into hating their country and demonizing western civilization without acknowledging that communism is responsible for killing more innocent people than any political, colonial, or religious movement in history. His account of history is puerile and is written for the most obtuse and impressionable readers, the type that think Matt Damon is a genius. The fact that he stole his wife from his friend was hilarious because it exposed the lack of integrity of this loathsome con artist.
½ January 8, 2013
Brings and understanding, and a relevance, to the progression of patriotism from a WWII veteran in the 1950's, 1960's, up through the millennial change.
½ September 25, 2011
Howard Zinn! Need I say more?
½ May 22, 2011
A pretty interesting documentary. I had never heard of Howard Zinn until I watched it. Although the documentary drags, if you watch and listen you'll learn a lot.
½ March 22, 2011
This was a very powerful documentary for me. It informed me on so many issues of our nation's past that continue to be relevant.
March 2, 2011
An emotional and compelling story about this former US soldier who went from napalming a group of inactive German soldiers to becoming a renowned peace activist and historian. I thought from the outset that I might be bored with this film, but it's very well made and held my attention all the way through.
January 11, 2011
Really, really, really good.
½ December 14, 2010
A great introduction to Howard Zinn and his teachings. Kudos to Matt Damon for taking part in this and kudos to anyone else who uses this as a stepping stone to learn more and then take action. Power to the people!
½ August 16, 2010
This is not an amazing piece of cinema by any means, but the filmmakers made good use of the materials they had to work with and created an eye-opening narrative of Howard Zinn's life. Anyone on the political left should enjoy it. I'd be interested in a conservative's take on this film.
August 7, 2010
Good documentary on the man himself!
May 1, 2010
What's not to love? Beautifully made - such an eloquent and inspiring man.
April 6, 2010
I read a People's History of the United States when I was in college and it had a profound affect on me. I agree with a lot of what he has to say but as a historian I was taught to always question what I read and what I hear, to examine and analyze information and make my own conclusions. This movie and his books make up only a small percentage of the opinions of Americans, never take what anyone says as your own opinion but instead seek your own truths. This is what I learned from Zinn and that is why he is a great historian.
March 9, 2010
Gonna have to add some books to my reading list!
February 28, 2010
im skeptical of people who appear to always do good things, but theres nothing wrong with skepticism. and i dont support the use of the term "free health-care", as nothing in the world is truly free.
½ February 9, 2010
Great biography piece on Howard Zinn, especially for anyone who is not too familiar with him or his work. Real basic explanations of various views he had on issues presented by previous interviews intertwined with public speaking videos, historical video documents and a limited narration by Matt Damon (wtf?). There were some awkward moments with cliche "mood music" to illicit some pretentious emotional response. wtf. People need to be exposed to his messages, but I'm not sure if this film would really convince anyone who thinks adversely.
½ January 29, 2010
‚??Before Michael Moore, there was Howard Zinn‚?? - The Boston Herald
This documentary had been sitting in my Netflix queue for a long time and Howard Zinn's death on Wednesday provided me the motivation to watch it. Zinn was no ordinary historian, because his background was not purely academic. As an Air Force officer during World War II, he bombed Germany and France. Before the Vietnam war, he negotiated the release of three US airmen who had been captured by the North Vietnamese. So, Zinn was not just a history teacher. He was also a history maker. His life was dedicated to exposing the deficiencies of liberty in American society, the horrible effects of unnecessary wars, and how war can become addictive to those who wage it. His most famous book 'A People's History of the United States' described American history from the perspective of the oppressed ‚?? Columbus from the perspective of the Arawak Indians, the US Constitution from the perspective of the slaves. This documentary, narrated by Matt Damon, chronicles Zinn's grass roots efforts to popularize this contrarian understanding of US history among ordinary Americans, and to encourage them to demand greater liberties from their government and their society.
January 17, 2010
Great starting point for finding out about a very important man. I'm now going to read some of his stuff. I didn't even know who Emma Goldman was.
½ August 23, 2009
The life and times of Howard Zinn. A low budget documentary with a few famous talking heads (Chomsky). It was interesting to see some of the history of what Zinn did. I don't really know much about the man. I was glad to see he was brave enough to do such things as organize black voters at the university he taught in the 60s. He was kicked out for doing so. He was also arrested at an anti Vietnam war demo. I'm not a fan of Michael Moore but I'd highly recommend reading and studying the works of Howard Zinn instead.
June 20, 2009