Howling IV: The Original Nightmare - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howling IV: The Original Nightmare Reviews

July 11, 2016
Not gonna bother watching this piece of shit
January 24, 2016
Basically it's a remake of the original.
June 8, 2015
I may not even bother
½ March 6, 2015
A hairy lump of crap, and as a more faithful remake of the original novel it's a reminder as to why the original 1981 film strayed from the source. Only note of praise is the pretty clever yet nasty transformation scene.
December 29, 2014
Terrible. Probably the worst werewolf movie I've ever seen. I will agree with a previous reviewer that the melting dude towards the end is the only highlight.
October 13, 2014
It's '80s straight-to-video horror, and a remake at that. Having said that, it's actually not the worst B horror I've ever seen. It's also far from being the best, but the premise is interesting and there are a few pretty creepy scenes scattered throughout. Overall I didn't hate it, but I can't speak too highly of it because the effects are so bad, and... well, refer back to my first sentence.
September 17, 2014
The original nightmare my ass. This film is boring and it's an insult to the original. Also there is barely any scenes with werewolves. The only thing I can give this film credit for is a slightly interesting body melting werewolf transformation scene.
May 24, 2014
Probably the best sequel.
½ March 12, 2014
I shot a wolf last night...

An author retreats to a small town named "Drago" where she hopes to gather her thoughts and rebuild her career. She falls in love with a local man and they begin shacking up together. He does take business trips, and doesn't seem to be around when the strange things start occurring. He doesn't believe her visions and tries to help her, but can the strange man somehow be tied into the strange occurrences?

"What was that noise?"
"What noise?"
"The howling."
"You probably just heard the animal in me."

John Hough, director of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, American Gothic, Bad Karma, Escape to Witch Mountain, Return from Witch Mountain, and A Ghost in Monte Carlo, delivers Howling IV: The Original Nightmare. The storyline for this picture is classic 80s slasher mixed with the werewolf genre. The special effects are fairly corny and the acting is mediocre. The cast includes Romy Windsor, Michael Weiss, Antony Hamilton, and Susanne Severeid.

"Your man done brought home the bacon."

I have started watching this series again since I found every movie is on Netflix. Werewolves were always my favorite plotline in the horror genre so I always enjoy watching these movies. I can tell you this series is far from on par with Silver Bullet from this time period. Overall, this is another Howling movie worth skipping.

Grade: D
November 10, 2013
There's some good stuff in this re-telling of the first tale that's for sure... but the whiplash-inducing editing undoes a lot of it (the good cinematography, the gore). That meltdown/transformation near the climax is the real standout of the whole thing. I'll say one thing: after the horrific Part 3, this cheapie was a treat!
½ October 4, 2013
This movie is so boring. It moves along very slowly until the final ten minutes when it finally becomes interesting and the movie ends in the middle of the action (in a very similar way to Dolly Dearest actually, and I hated that ending a lot too). I have nothing good to say about this movie. There was some fun stuff at the end, but it wasn't worth sitting through the other 80 minutes. If you're a fan of the books, I hear this is the closest to them. However, I never read the books so I just thought this movie sucked.
April 21, 2013
I really did not like this 1988 Howling 4 movie because director John Hough was trying to mimic the first Howling movie which it did not come close at all. I guess that is why he called it the ORIGINAL NIGHTMARE! SMH Also, there was only one werewolf which was the king wolf and the rest was normal looking wolves which was shown almost towards the end of the movie. Majority of the movie was dialog. You do not see any transformation like the first Howling. I notice the more Howling movies that was made, the less you see the werewolf!
April 19, 2013
This is pretty much an unofficial remake of the very first one but done in a late 80s style as oppose to the early 80s early 70s style of the original. Not bad for for what its trying to do here. I don't know if anything in this series could be as bad as part 6 The Freaks!!!!! This series started out kinda decent then just got slightly worse as the sequels kept coming.
This one isn't horrible but its pretty much just a rehash of part one with a few things just changed here and there, like the woman here isn't a news reporter and thats pretty much it, everything else is almost exactly the same storywise as part one lol.
The effects for the werewolves are late 80s so take from that what you will. If you're a fan of practical werewolf suits and effects and not into CGI werewolves then give this a watch.
This is a good late 80s cheesy horror movie that is a must for Halloween viewing.
April 11, 2013
This movie was awful. It is badly paced, has some of the worst ensemble bad acting ever and as others have stated, nothing really gets moving into less than ten minutes before it ends. Before that we only see flickers of any werewolves, and what we do see looks awful.

They even rip off the original by having the husband start cheating with a sexy wolf.

There are some good effects stuff in the end, like the melting body bit...which made little sense, but I guess it looked cool. The very ending made little sense too since fire doesn't kill werewolves.

Cheesy 80's soundtrack as well.
March 4, 2013
When Murder She Wrote meets werewolves in the best sequel yet; which says a lot! It does feel like a bit of a mystery film whereby the main character (a semi-famous writer) finds herself investigating the death of a nun and the possible existence of werewolves... Okay, it's not the most interesting film and it really didn't have many horror moments, but it's still been the most engaging sequel to this point!
½ January 27, 2013
Unimpressed with the original, I had not sought out any of the sequels. I recently bought a 10 movie collection of "cult classics" (at 50 cents a movie), and this was included. It was straight to video which is not always a sign of its quality, but in this case it is. Most of the victims die off-camera; the first werewolf transformation also occurred off screen. To say the effects are bad is an understatement. Werewolves appear very little in this werewolf movie. The story is mundane and very similar to the original. There is a religious aspect to the story, but it goes nowhere. The acting is awful. Heck, the movie is awful.
January 18, 2013
64%

"Satan calls you, Satan calls you, Satan calls you..."-Towns People of Drago

The title and credit song, "Something Evil, Something Dangerous" by Justin Hayward was the best thing about the film.
December 7, 2012
Could watch this sometime if i can find.
October 28, 2012
This is a rema of the first film. I do not know why you would remake the original howling and call it part 4 but at the end of the day this movie is not bad. It is pretty boring compared to the original but at the end of the day it is kind of cool seeing another take on that film.
October 27, 2012
Not good but a step up from the previous two. A writer plagued by nightmares rents a country cottage to escape her bad dreams. Virtually no werewolf sightings until the end but does have a good transformation where Rick melts into a werewolf.