Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 25, 2016
Cool story, cool visuals
December 25, 2016
A sweet story, wonderfully acted, and visually impressive. Seems a bit sparse and sketched at times, but the former makes up for the latter, and it's few and far between anyways.
December 24, 2016
What a wonderful, wonderful heartwarming joyous film for people of all ages. If you love movies and movie history this is deeply moving and a "kid's film" that adults will love just as much.
½ December 15, 2016
Finally watched this movie on BlueRay. What a piece of garbage. 1st of all, why are all the people who are supposed to be French, speaking in British English accents??? Don't you think an intelligent reviewer would pick up on that? How's that for stretching reality and the truth of the original story. But then again, this is Hollywood at it's clumsiest...There seem to be 2 directors that always get a pass from every reviewer, no matter how bad their movies are - Martin Scorsese and Tim Burton. Even when they make really crappy movies, the reviewers praise them falsely.

The main character in Hugo, Asa Butterfield was completely miss-cast asusual. He has no emotion, and a completely flat performance that sucks. He has no charisma to draw the audience in and that is the same lousy performance he does in every film he is in.
The rest of the cast is merely adequate to this disjointed, confusing mismatch of 2 different stories that get "lost in translation", as they are not as the "book" tells it.
Yes, the cinematographer does a great job with the outrageous budget the studio gave them, and the film's photography is very pretty.

However, if Scorsese wants to do a film about the history of movies, let him write his own from beginning to end and not piggyback it as a con and a distortion on the back of a far superior writer.

I do not recommend this movie at all. It is a complete waste of film, money, and time. The book was great, this movie is an Unbelievable piece of junk.
November 27, 2016
very good best movie I've ever seen
November 25, 2016
Scorsese fait apparemment aussi des films pour un jeune public. Une belle introduction au travail de George Méliès!
November 23, 2016
very excellent film great choice of actors and good directing
November 21, 2016
Kids will probably not like this movie but someone who likes a good griping story about film than Hugo is for you.
½ November 14, 2016
'Hugo' takes its sweet old time getting to where it goes, but the third act provides us a satisfying finish to what turns into a fun journey. While not a typical Scorese picture, 'Hugo' is a refreshing change to the director's genre. A little Sasha Baron Cohen goes a long way and this teetered on that notion. The rest of the cast is delightful and the attention to detail was divine. Final Score: 7.2 of 10.
October 29, 2016
Wow, I love this movie, it really is magical.
½ October 27, 2016
As far as movies go, this is one of the best I have watched. Initially captured by later performances of Asa Butterfield, I had decided to go back and watch all of the movies he has starred in. This movie, amongst others of his, hit a chord of nostalgia unlike many other movies that I have watched. I was intrigued right the way through, the splendour of the magnificent visuals and the poignant characters all adding to this incredible movie. While the backstory behind 'Hugh' (Butterfield) is rife with plotholes, the movie will capture you in the magnificent tale of this young boy called Hugo, who will leave you wanting more, forgetting about the holes in the plot.
October 18, 2016
Hugo is proof that Martin Scorsese can make family movies.
October 16, 2016
I fell in love with this movie from the first time I saw it and I will always love it. I always loved ASA Butterfield and his acting and he is just so cute when he cries a the actors in this are very realistic and hardworking. If you didn't see it yet, thus is a total must see! Go watch it now, I am watching it at this moment!
October 8, 2016
I loved this movie! It is a pure, cinematic brilliance! Very different than what Scorsese usually does, but in a good way. He was definitely the right choice as director to bring to life this beautifully done piece of filmmaking, as well as each member of the cast ensemble. Also, hats off to anyone involved in each aspect in the creation of the film.
½ September 30, 2016
This movie was kind of magical and amazing to think about.
September 22, 2016
A movie about movies!
September 21, 2016
I just adore this movie. It's one of my favorite Scorsese pictures.
½ September 16, 2016
If you crave movie and film then you will L.O.V.E this movie
September 12, 2016
Emotional, fantastic, and beautiful, Hugo is one of the finest works from Martin Scorsese, taking the audience through an adventurous journey into an homage to the greatest form of entertainment ever created and a heartfelt tribute to one of the pioneers that led to modern cinema today.