Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

November 27, 2016
very good best movie I've ever seen
November 25, 2016
Scorsese fait apparemment aussi des films pour un jeune public. Une belle introduction au travail de George Méliès!
November 23, 2016
very excellent film great choice of actors and good directing
November 21, 2016
Kids will probably not like this movie but someone who likes a good griping story about film than Hugo is for you.
½ November 14, 2016
'Hugo' takes its sweet old time getting to where it goes, but the third act provides us a satisfying finish to what turns into a fun journey. While not a typical Scorese picture, 'Hugo' is a refreshing change to the director's genre. A little Sasha Baron Cohen goes a long way and this teetered on that notion. The rest of the cast is delightful and the attention to detail was divine. Final Score: 7.2 of 10.
October 29, 2016
Wow, I love this movie, it really is magical.
½ October 27, 2016
As far as movies go, this is one of the best I have watched. Initially captured by later performances of Asa Butterfield, I had decided to go back and watch all of the movies he has starred in. This movie, amongst others of his, hit a chord of nostalgia unlike many other movies that I have watched. I was intrigued right the way through, the splendour of the magnificent visuals and the poignant characters all adding to this incredible movie. While the backstory behind 'Hugh' (Butterfield) is rife with plotholes, the movie will capture you in the magnificent tale of this young boy called Hugo, who will leave you wanting more, forgetting about the holes in the plot.
October 18, 2016
Hugo is proof that Martin Scorsese can make family movies.
October 16, 2016
I fell in love with this movie from the first time I saw it and I will always love it. I always loved ASA Butterfield and his acting and he is just so cute when he cries a the actors in this are very realistic and hardworking. If you didn't see it yet, thus is a total must see! Go watch it now, I am watching it at this moment!
October 8, 2016
I loved this movie! It is a pure, cinematic brilliance! Very different than what Scorsese usually does, but in a good way. He was definitely the right choice as director to bring to life this beautifully done piece of filmmaking, as well as each member of the cast ensemble. Also, hats off to anyone involved in each aspect in the creation of the film.
½ September 30, 2016
This movie was kind of magical and amazing to think about.
September 22, 2016
A movie about movies!
September 21, 2016
I just adore this movie. It's one of my favorite Scorsese pictures.
½ September 16, 2016
If you crave movie and film then you will L.O.V.E this movie
September 12, 2016
Emotional, fantastic, and beautiful, Hugo is one of the finest works from Martin Scorsese, taking the audience through an adventurous journey into an homage to the greatest form of entertainment ever created and a heartfelt tribute to one of the pioneers that led to modern cinema today.
September 6, 2016
Beautiful cinematography and a simple story with some superb music. and some really good performances. Makes it an overall great movie for all ages
September 4, 2016
One of the best fantasy films we have seen for some time.
August 31, 2016
Anyone who enjoys film-making or the history of film will probably love this film. Hugo is about an orphan living in a 1930's French train station. The visuals in the train station definitely add to the immersion and are simply beautiful. The direction by Martin Scorsese is amazing, obviously. The acting by Asa Butterfield, Bin Kingsley, and surprisingly Sasha Baron Cohen was superb. The first act of this film is not really anything special, though it still has very good moments. The second and third acts of the film are where it shines. The latter two acts dive into the story of legendary film maker Georges Méliès (played by Ben Kingsley) prior to him meeting Hugo. Watching the two children go on an adventure trying to figure out the meaning of something they discover in the first act (the picture) was amazing and I know everyone says this but it really makes you feel like a kid again. In the end the only word I can use to describe the emotions I felt in the end is joy, the ending just made me feel happy. Overall, this movie truly shows the magic of cinema and is nothing less than amazing.
August 31, 2016
Utterly charming, gorgeous and without any cruel cynicism, what starts out as a story about a boy who lives in a railway station emerges to become a film about the magic and wonder of films.
½ August 29, 2016
Amazing and beautiful, with an excellent direction from Scorsese, "Hugo" is a magical time filled with charm and heart.