Hugó, a víziló (Hugo the Hippo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugó, a víziló (Hugo the Hippo) Reviews

½ March 22, 2012
para quien le gusto el submarino amarillo con los bitles, deberia de ver esta obra paicodelica hecha en hungria podrucida por la marca de perfumes faberge y con musica de los osmond
½ September 7, 2011
I can imagine that a great many drugs were consumed during the creation of this film, so I would expect that it is comprehensible only when utterly baked. As a child we had the scholastic book, published in 1976, and it was pretty strange, but the film is truly one of the most bizarre things that I've ever seen. Hearing Paul Lynde utter the line "In the name of Allah, what are you doing?" is a totally surreal experience, and I would ask the filmmakers the same question...

If you like bad movies, then this is a film for you. It's pretty spectacular... from the monkeys playing cabbage basketball over the Harlem Globetrotters' signature tune "Sweet Georgia Brown", to the attack of the killer asparagus, to sharks in leather-bar drag, to the young titular hippo witnessing the massacre (seriously) of his entire tribe, including his parents, it's hard to over-emphasize this film's cruelty, unfortunate racial stereotypes and bizarre visual style.

Then there's the music! Burl Ives cheerful song about Hugo's imminent starvation is one thing, but it's almost impossible to listen to Marie Osmond's opening song without collapsing with laughter, disbelief, or both:

Do you know the way to tell a story that's true
From the stories that never took place?
Well, when a story's so strange that if it never happened
No one could ever think it up
Then it is true

A story so strange no one could ever make it up has to be true
Has to be true
Now, you ask what difference does it make in the end
If you believe a strange story or no
If you accept a strange story told to you as true
Then a certain enlightenment comes to you
It comes to you
A certain enlightenment comes when a story that's told to you
Is really true
This story is really true
It's really true

'Nuff said.
½ April 26, 2011
I saw the Hungarian version and while it was indeed weird to see how the voice actors features were seeping into the character design, I found the movie rather interesting and deep. While at first the darkness and design style (yeah yeah yellow submarine) is daunting the storyline engulfs you. The moral message is strong and it leaves an impact on young children. The animation itself is not brilliant but the character designs are interesting. The fantasy scenes are engaging and the songs...Well the songs are American, and that is certainly out of place in an African-themed movie. Also there are obvious Asian design elements that are rather strange. But above and all I found it a beautiful piece.