Straight From the Heart (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straight From the Heart (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam) Reviews

June 22, 2015
A stunning movie. A classic love triangle with lots of drama. But I felt that Ajay Devgn should have played Sameer. Feel for Salman Khan as he was left by Aishwarya rai. Sanjay Leela bhansalis best till date for me
March 12, 2015
watched it long time ago ..
September 30, 2013
If you are looking for a BOLLYWOOD movie- with song and dance- Watch this one.
March 30, 2013
Didn't know Budapest was in Italy, where everything is written and said in Hungarian, and where Gipsy East-European music is played and danced in pubs... but "kuchh nai hai" :)

Otherwise, lovely story, great music and a good lighting around the duties conveyed by love. And Aishwarya is stunning as usual.

Oh, yeah, and the scene when Aishwarya Rai catches Salman Khan unaware farting loudly is just legendary... !
February 14, 2013
In the top 50 bollywoods
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ September 21, 2012
My first introduction to Aishwarya Rai (in her first major Bollywood hit), 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam' excels at presenting fantastic dance set pieces and songs, as do most successful Indian films. While the pacing can drag at times (as is also the case with a lot of Indian films), most issues are saved by the Rai's charisma and the aforementioned musical performances.

Where HDDCS really stumbles is in its dialogue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bollywood actors' tendency to overact and drown in melodrama can really bite their movie in the ass when the script isn't focused on the dance scenes. I'm not suggesting melodrama or passionate acting are inherently bad, rather, I'm simply saying that any missteps that occur when engaging in this type of acting are felt particularly hard by the audience.

As I hinted earlier, a common type of misstep is awkward dialogue. Overacting and melodrama, if not used appropriately, can absolutely kill dialogue and turn a movie into a painful mess. I thought Salaman Khan was incredibly annoying in this film because of this. Furthermore, Bollywood melodrama and overacting (as is perfectly exemplified by this film) has other problems that go behind the awkwardness that can ensue. A little bit goes a long way, and pacing can be affected. This is the cause for the dragging in this movie (other than the 3 hour+ run time). But I digress.

The second half of HDDCS is a lot stronger than its first, and most of the pacing and dialogue problems are handled more effectively. Ajay Devgan's more subdued performance also elevates the movie's latter half, and he is far more likable than Khan. I found the justice done to him at the end of the movie was great, and concluded the story well.

In the end, HDDCS's performances from Rai and Devgan and the mesmerizing dance/song scenes outshine its weaker points. HDDCS, in giving credit where credit is due, is a real treat for choreography, music, and costume design. Well worth your 3 hours and 7 minutes ;)
½ June 12, 2012
A lavish, colourful and playful love story epic about a woman who falls in love with her father‚(TM)s music student, is promised to another man in an arranged marriage, and goes in search of her first love alongside her husband once he realizes that she doesn‚(TM)t truly love him. Themes of love, duty and self-sacrifice all nicely developed with much singing and dancing. Much of the banter and flirting is extremely artful and Aishwarya Rai has a physical talent matching Chaplin when she‚(TM)s turning her back on a suitor or pretending to ignore someone. Salman Khan is a little over the top as Sameer, the music student who falls in love with her but Ajay Devgan is nobly glum and serious as Vanraj, her unloved husband who seeks to reunite her with Sameer so that she can be happy. Treating the Budapest backdrop as though it were Italy is absurd but somehow fits with the exuberant tone of this wonderful film about longing and desire.
April 21, 2012
One of the best Bollywood films I've seen!
March 14, 2012
This movie sounds wicked! Must watch more Bollywood!
½ December 26, 2011
didnt like Sallu- loved ash and ajay
½ November 3, 2011
I am a sucker for love stories (which is visible from most of my posts :) and HDDCS remains an all-time favorite. I missed it on the theatre but have seen it umpteen times, and more, I believe ;) otherwise. Based off a Bengali novel, Na Hanyate (It Does Not Die), Hum Dil... is inarguably among Bhansali's, Aishwarya's and Ajay Devgn's best works.

Nandini lends Aishwarya enough scope to draw the best out of her acting skills. It's beautiful to see a young, headstrong, Nandu evolve into a mature, sensible Nandini as the film spans her intense pyar for Sameer in the first half and her slow but eventual understanding of what pyar really is all about. Ajay too had his act in place as the honest, large-hearted Vanraj, a highlight in the second half.

With all due respect to Sallu fans, he may have entertained as the Chulbul Pandey of Dabangg or the Big Boss host, but someone tell him a little bit of acting won't hurt. (My bollyblogger friends are sure to come to blows with me on this one ;)

Rewinding back to the plot, Nandu (as he calls her) is besotted by Sameer and hasn't imagined life without him while her parents have other plans. Vanraj (Ajay Devgn), they believe is best suited for their daughter. The plot may seem another run-off-the-mill love triangle, but it's the treatment that won it all the appreciation and awards (31 to be more precise!) for the year.
Repeat value - Once, twice, thrice.......? You'll keep coming back to it!
March 10, 2011
Although you can't beat Devdas, this is one of the better Bhansalis. Aish was perfectly cast as the bratty little girl who is torn by love. Very good music, costumes, and scenery, but doesn't quite have the rich atmosphere as others.
½ December 26, 2010
A long but worth-your-time movie. Aishwarya Rai and Salman Khan are terrific.
November 16, 2010
lovely........ great movie.
½ November 2, 2010
One of my all time favorite movies...best couple..ok story...great acting..awesome music...superb direction! One of the biggest hits in the bollywood industry!
October 12, 2010
great movie with an ending that breaks my heart every time i see...
July 5, 2010
A truly remarkable movie! Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai are a great pair, and they interact well in this movie. Their characters relate to the deepest sense of "unrequited love." This movie is filled with hilarity, tons of humor, and of course the emotional rollercoaster. A great movie indeed.
June 28, 2010
The amazing movie....Songs r superb wit little gujju touch....and the locatins r also very nice....i like this movie so much.....
June 16, 2010
really amazin movieeeeeeeeeee... good per4mance by ash n salman.. hope 2 c thier chemistry again......