Humongous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Humongous Reviews

June 18, 2010
Horrible, horrible lighting... but everything else was pretty good.
FilmFanatik
March 6, 2010
The copy that I have (which is a VHS rip) is pretty dark, so it's difficult to tell what's going on a lot of the time. The thing is though it starts out interesting, then just gets boring for the rest of the movie. I think I watched the censored cut, as well.
January 26, 2010
Absolutely horrible film, I sold my video of it for a couple cents, it wasn't even worth that much. Not only a bad story, but also bad acting, directing, lighting, cinematography, sound...well let's just say it didn't have much going for it.
December 25, 2009
Just your average 80s horror flick.Nothing special
December 5, 2009
Better than Lynch's first attempt at this sort of thing (the original Prom Night), but not much. If only they'd had a decent lighting tech, though, this might have been a good movie. Oh, wait. Not with that script. But still.
October 27, 2009
From the people who brought us the original Prom Night comes this hilarious Canadian, 80's slasher/killer retarded mongoloid flick where, in the 40's, a daughter of a rich industrialist with their own island apparently gets raped (the rape lasts a whopping 1 or 2 seconds even though the scene looks as though the rapist gets his comeuppance before he can even complete insertion), decides to have the bastard child and it turns out to be a giant, hairy, and murderous behemoth. Our lovable cast of young white kids, which includes 3 siblings, 2 model girlfriends (one which looks very good naked), and a nice drifter accidentally drive their boat into the rocks of said island, they get trapped there, a few of them die offscreen and now it's up to our Fred, Wilma, and Daffney look-alikes to try and stop the beast before it kills them. This has gritty, 80's exploitation film written all over it, though I think I can understand why there hasn't been a big enough demand for the film as it does have plenty of faults which keep it from being a bigger cult classic. Aside from the slightly boring kills, the bad acting, and the lack of killer appearance, the film takes place in VERY dark conditions. You almost cannot even tell what's going on a lot of times throughout. There are some very effective chills that occur thanks to the darkness, but those are few and far between what the viewer actually needs to see. I'll bet an excellent DVD transfer could brighten the film up a bit and make it moderately better. Has the potential to be a real 80's gem if it ever gets cleaned up. If it doesn't get cleaned up and retails its overall look and feel, then Humongous would stand at the very bottom of "cult classic".
September 7, 2009
im going off memory because i havent seen this since i was a kid i want this on dvd
½ March 26, 2009
Una mujer es violada por una especie de bebe mutante.... tal como lo oyeron, queridos espectadores. Y lo peor es que el bebe es un asesino en serie en una cinta con menos sangre de lo que deberia. No! No! No!
½ December 11, 2008
I don't even remember this, I watched it that long ago (I was really bored). I do remember, however, that it sucked badly.
October 3, 2008
Pretty good follow-up to the awesome Prom Night. The script isn't quite as good as that film's, nor are the characters as likable...nor is the acting as good. However, it succeeds as a fun slasher, and is probably more scary and suspenseful than Prom Night is. Much has been made of the dark photography, and how it's impossible to tell what's happening at times. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The photography is a little bit darker than I would've liked, but I could always easily tell what was happening.
I think this film must have had a huge influence on Hatchet, as the monsters in both films are on a secluded island, look similar, and communicate only through grunts. They both also have superhuman size and strength. That film actually shows why the dark cinematography in this film was the best approach. In Hatchet we see the monster too clearly, and he's neither scary nor is his make-up particularly convincing.
Not quite as good as Prom Night, but you could do worse. Paul Lynch certainly knew what he was doing. The soundtrack was also really awesome, sort of resembling the work of italian composers like Fabio Frizzi and Claudio Simonetti!
September 28, 2008
Joy Boushel is in it. Nuff said, that's all you need to know. Short lil' bikini dance scene on a yacht by Joy.
½ September 16, 2008
eh...it's alright. boring at times...neat-o at other times. i dunno how they managed to make a movie about a giant, hairy murderer boring in parts, but they did. luckily, the neat parts are pretty good...this movie is worth a watch if you like 80's horror...otherwise, you'll probably find nothing worthwhile here.
½ September 3, 2008
a very underrated horror film from Canadian director Paul Lynch.
July 11, 2008
I love this movie! Been watching it since I was a kid. It is kinda hard to see. Pretty scary!
½ June 8, 2008
Stay away, stay far away from this steaming pile of dog feces.
May 10, 2008
Canadian production about a group of shipwrecked teens on an island inhabited only by a large, mutated person who either sounds like he has emphysema or growls like a dog. Alright but could have been better.
May 1, 2008
Teens shipwrecked on an island inhabited only by a mutant. All scenes with the mutant are in total darkness, leaving the viewer to listen only to grunting and heavy breathing during the supposed action. Thankfully did not produce a sequel.
½ March 22, 2008
Middling slasher/creature feature with tedious performances and a dull execution that squanders its otherwise intriguing premise. It's perfectly fine that we only see the monster either in shadow or out of focus, but all that subtlety is ruined by having the guy who plays the monster scream "RAARRRRR!!" every five seconds. Humongous is helped by a few decent creepy setups and a memorable final shot, but is otherwise a by-the-numbers effort. Catch director Paul Lynch's earlier slasher outing, Prom Night, instead.
January 14, 2008
another movie where i will just root for the bad guy
January 10, 2008