Hurlyburly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hurlyburly Reviews

April 4, 2016
No faults with the acting, but it could've been a little easier to understand too. Maybe that was the whole point of the screenplay; these characters are quite intelligent with their speech and get pretty philosophical, almost nihilistic with the points of the many debates or arguments they have together.
½ October 7, 2015
You pulled out a broken vibrator?

Eddie is a Hollywood playboy of sorts with a chick he wants to settle down with along with a couple chicks on the side he needs to potentially get rid of. He has a group of Hollywood movers and shakers he hangs out with at his fantastic house. They share stories and feelings on Eddie's direction. Can any of Eddie's friends help him get his head together?

"It's like this invasion of tits and ass."

Anthony Drazan, director of Zebrahead, Imaginary Crimes, Trinity, and EDNY, delivers Hurlyburly. The storyline for this picture is very dry, boring, and lacking. The acting is solid but the script and character development is just okay. The cast includes Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Meg Ryan, Gary Shandling, Chazz Palminteri, and Elaine Corral Kendall.

"You're getting me wet. Don't get me wet."

I came across this on cable and had to DVR it (Indie Channel). This grabbed my attention due to fantastic cast but unfortunately that wasn't enough to save this dreadful movie. There wasn't much going on here and I recommend skipping this.

"You enjoy hitting people?"

Grade: D
½ June 20, 2015
An occasionally funny flick about self-involved Hollywood types and their meaningless lives as they flounder through existence trying to cope and comprehend what happens to them, mostly while they're high on drugs. Almost like a West Coast Seinfeld, but less funny and with muddled minds. Good acting, but too long.
October 18, 2013
Movie was 90% dialogue. Cocaine snorting men arguing about feelings and symantecs. Sean Penn's acting was great but the movie was a waste of time to watch.
½ April 11, 2013
Yet another one that I just didn't get into. A sort of great cast cannot save what might have been a decent play.
½ January 31, 2013
This was the movie that made me decide to start exposing myself in public.
December 7, 2012
Havent seen this ??? Maybe should get round to seeing.
March 25, 2012
Never before have I seen a film and "hated" its characters more than this movie. I suppose in that sense, the movie might be a success.
½ February 19, 2012
havnt seen it in years, buts its stuck in my memory as maybe the worst movie ive scene
November 24, 2011
This film contains some quintessential performances by Penn and Spacey, and even serves to redeem seriously second and third tier actors like Chazz Palminteri (level two) and Robin Wright, Garry Shandling, and even Meg Ryan (level three). All that and Anna Paquin plays basically a coked up run-away underage hooker. This film has basically everything you could want to see about a bunch of drug-addled, complete misogynistic prick, Hollywood scumbag producers. Brilliant.
November 9, 2011
this is a play, and one ryans best most intense roles shes pretty amazing she doesn't do this much, and the rest of the cast rocks too, its a powerful movie, not for everyone, its edgy.
August 14, 2011
Great movie if you get the circumstances that the movie tries to touch. The downer is life! Cherish true friendship.
July 19, 2011
Sean Penn's performance is great but the story is so depressing and nasty that it was almost unwatchable for me. Sometimes I don't get why such awful movies like this are made.
½ July 16, 2011
This was a very boring movie with a really good cast that includes Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Garry Shandling, Robyn Wright, Chazz Palminteri, Meg Ryan and Anna Paquin.
I honestly got so bored watching this conversation heavy movie.
½ June 23, 2011
Difficile de prendre parti pour Hollywood Sunrise (ou plutôt Hollywood Trip). Question interprà (C)tation, il n'y a pas photo : c'est une très bonne pioche (Sean Penn et Kevin Spacey entre autre)! Le problème provient du scà (C)nario. En effet, il faut vraiment entrer dans le moule d'une multitude de dialogues et de dà (C)bats philosophiques sur bon nombre de sujets (obsession, sexe, vie...) et ce pendant environ 2h. Des dialogues qui usent facilement de mà (C)tà (C)phores difficilement dà (C)chiffrables qui dà (C)tournent l'intà (C)rêt pour ce film. Et pourtant, il y a quelque chose de puissant dans ces diffà (C)rentes trames et personnages. Mais personnellement, je n'ai pas pu les apprà (C)cier pleinement, n'à (C)tant pas sur la même longueur d'ondes que le scà (C)nariste, les personnages et le rà (C)alisateur.
April 30, 2011
Scary portrait of addiction and self-obsession
½ January 27, 2011
This film was totally ridiculed upon release, for reasons unknown to me. In my opinion, this is a picture that has ever-growing strength through it's 120 minute duration. It's a film about life. A social commentary that boasts strong performances from Kevin Spacey, Meg Ryan, Chazz Palminteri and of course, Sean Penn. The film invites us into the homes of these Hollywood playboys as they try to discover what life is. It's presented to us in such a powerful way, that only really sets in when the credits roll. Strong film-making.
November 1, 2010
Self-indulgent b.s. Spacey proves he can talk a million-miles-a-minute about a whole lot of nothing.
September 15, 2010
The name is perfectly fitting in this whirlwind of sex, drugs, violence and self realization crossed with some top notch rhetoric and witty conjecture. But ultimately the entire collection falls flat.

I rate this one 57/100

Review # 2
½ January 11, 2010
I watched this cause of Garry Shandling... and was surprised to find the spiritual offspring of a David Mamet film; although an inferior one. A refreshingly uncompromised script and film for such an a-list cast.