Hurlyburly Reviews

• Jul 03, 2019

this is one of my favorite underrated movies ever! not for everyone, but still an entertaining ride.

• Mar 28, 2018

Off-beat film about the lives of some Hollywood shakers and misfits.Terrific roles for Kevin Spacey, Sean Penn, Meg Ryan and Chaz Palminteri. Good performances by Robin Wright Penn, Garry Shandling and Anna Paquin. Overall an underappreciated, personal favorite.

• Apr 04, 2016

No faults with the acting, but it could've been a little easier to understand too. Maybe that was the whole point of the screenplay; these characters are quite intelligent with their speech and get pretty philosophical, almost nihilistic with the points of the many debates or arguments they have together.

• Oct 07, 2015

You pulled out a broken vibrator? Eddie is a Hollywood playboy of sorts with a chick he wants to settle down with along with a couple chicks on the side he needs to potentially get rid of. He has a group of Hollywood movers and shakers he hangs out with at his fantastic house. They share stories and feelings on Eddie's direction. Can any of Eddie's friends help him get his head together? "It's like this invasion of tits and ass." Anthony Drazan, director of Zebrahead, Imaginary Crimes, Trinity, and EDNY, delivers Hurlyburly. The storyline for this picture is very dry, boring, and lacking. The acting is solid but the script and character development is just okay. The cast includes Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Meg Ryan, Gary Shandling, Chazz Palminteri, and Elaine Corral Kendall. "You're getting me wet. Don't get me wet." I came across this on cable and had to DVR it (Indie Channel). This grabbed my attention due to fantastic cast but unfortunately that wasn't enough to save this dreadful movie. There wasn't much going on here and I recommend skipping this. "You enjoy hitting people?" Grade: D

• Jun 15, 2015

An occasionally funny flick about self-involved Hollywood types and their meaningless lives as they flounder through existence trying to cope and comprehend what happens to them, mostly while they're high on drugs. Almost like a West Coast Seinfeld, but less funny and with muddled minds. Good acting, but too long.

• Apr 11, 2013

Yet another one that I just didn't get into. A sort of great cast cannot save what might have been a decent play.

• Jan 31, 2013

This was the movie that made me decide to start exposing myself in public.

This was the movie that made me decide to start exposing myself in public.

• Mar 24, 2012

Never before have I seen a film and "hated" its characters more than this movie. I suppose in that sense, the movie might be a success.

• Feb 19, 2012

havnt seen it in years, buts its stuck in my memory as maybe the worst movie ive scene

• Nov 24, 2011

This film contains some quintessential performances by Penn and Spacey, and even serves to redeem seriously second and third tier actors like Chazz Palminteri (level two) and Robin Wright, Garry Shandling, and even Meg Ryan (level three). All that and Anna Paquin plays basically a coked up run-away underage hooker. This film has basically everything you could want to see about a bunch of drug-addled, complete misogynistic prick, Hollywood scumbag producers. Brilliant.