Hurricane Streets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hurricane Streets Reviews

½ July 1, 2016
A simple and effective '90s realistic street adventure
½ July 27, 2015
Very solid indie from heyday of indies.
½ December 11, 2014
Morgan J. Freeman won the Director and the Audience Award (a rare combination) at the 1997 Sundance Film Fest for his impressive debut, an edgy, well acted coming of age tale.
½ May 25, 2013
Possibly the greatest coming of age drama since The Last Picture Show. Half a star is deducted for the horrible acting by everyone except Sexton III.
½ May 26, 2012
Oh man this movie is awesome. It captures this look of New York right before it became morbidly disneyfied. My favorite Brendan Sexton movie.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Brian.
November 18, 2011
Loved it. The angst, the drama, and the everyday pressures of life that all of us face whether we know it or not all work together beautifully in this piece.
July 3, 2010
Since my favorite movie is The Children of Times Square i heard about this movie on you tube and it sounded like similar but the kids in the steal, and rob stores. I was suprised because this movie is a lot more innapropriete and not as good. Its independent thats fine its just that its not that good. Go watch The Children Of Times Square , then this compare.
June 1, 2008
This is one my favorite coming-of-age stories because whether parents believed it or not, this is what their kids could be doing, especially at that time. In a way you empathize with the characters because of their difficulties to struggle with a lack of parenthood.
May 19, 2008
Recommended by Brian.
May 19, 2008
cheesy. shocked morgan freeman wrote/directed, though.
½ May 19, 2008
A good film. A little irritating with all the ghettoness (characters acting ghetto), but I think it actually worked with the storyline and made sense,

It's about a kid who's mom is in jail and dad is dead and he's taken care of by his grandmother, who owns a bar.

He tries to do right, but is pressed by his friends into more and more serious crimes.

He meets his first love, Malena, and wants to change his ways. But it'd be boring if he did, right? ;)

Brendan Sexton III (Empire Records, Welcome to the Dollhouse) plays the main role, pretty well.

The ending leaves the film unresolved.
½ February 28, 2008
one of my favorites growing up
February 23, 2008
awesome movie
morgan freeman really did a hell of a job with this one
great soundtrack
January 3, 2008
I saw this film in 1998, loved it and spent years trying to find a copy of it! Awesome.
½ November 22, 2007
½ October 21, 2007
It's hard to pinpoint what goes wrong with this movie for me. If I had to guess, it could be that there seems to be some sort of disconnect between the acting and directing. Perhaps it's the fact some strange choices are made in the making of the film, such as the scene where the grandmother is alone in her bar and apparently is listening to "Boss DJ." It's probably just the fact that it's hard for me to get into a movie where the characters are just so gosh darn unlikeable and unsympathetic. Unless we're supposed to think that a good way of tying up loose ends before skipping town is armed robbery at your friend's dad's store.

On the other hand, I do think my teacher from film school would LOOOVE this movie, and it's kind of interesting to watch the girl that works at the bar I go to be in a movie.
October 4, 2007
I really like this movie. Idk where I got it from but it was a LONG time ago and i loved it. I just found it the other day and watched it and remembered how good it was!
September 24, 2007
this film introduced me to independent films when i was in sixth grade. the story and acting is amazing. will always be in my top ten.