Hurry Sundown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hurry Sundown Reviews

August 17, 2013
Absolutely terrible acting. I was so disappointed. Look at that talent! Michael Caine, Jane Fonda, Faye Dunaway, etc. It's ridiculous that this film should come off so dry, so lifeless when it deals with subject matter so emotionally chaotic and contentious. Beah Richards was the one actor in the film capable of being faithful to this subject matter. Her performance moved me and I was saddened when she left the film so early, because all quality went with her.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ July 10, 2013
A movie with race-relations, and moral agendas, but none of the film is inaccurate. Nothing amazing, but some entertaining stereotypical caricatures, well-acted.
March 10, 2012
I pretty much agree with Jay Nixon about this sweaty sexual and racial drama but not the part about Doug Sirk being a more obvious choice for director: both Sirk and Preminger had auteurist champions (e.g. Andrew Sarris), and although it's true Sirk brought a touch of class to soap opera, this is not such a film. It is a fairly good portrait of sharecropper misery and landowner excess, including the then-controversial sequence in which Jane Fonda plays a sax organ from a position between Michael Caine's legs. (A few years earlier the same director shocked audiences with "The Moon is Blue" with its realistic depiction of an attempt to seduce a real live "virgin"!) I doubted anyone, certainly not Paramount, would transfers these Dixie doings to DVD, but Olive Films did so, politically incorrect dialogue intact. (Look, and listen, for the scene in which Burgess Meredith refers to a mature African-American as "an ugly, syphilitic old n----r woman." At the time the film was released civil rights were still very much on the minds of Americans, and this film might be seen as a companion piece to the much inferior "Mandingo," released about the same time. This one at least avoids stereotypical, cardboard characters, and John Phillip Law did his best acting here. (I was a fan.)
½ February 22, 2012
I'm honestly suprised I had not heard of this film before I watched it. For a 2 and a half hour runtime its a breeze to watch. The story is strong, all the characters are well developed and the themes are near universal. Seriously Watch it if you can.
½ July 16, 2011
Well acted by an all-star cast of familiar faces.
½ March 6, 2011
February 3, 2011
Preminger always seemed to attract heavyweight actors, even for lightweight films. This one devolves into a massive melodramatic masquerade in which the participants put on two things: a Southern accent and the audience.
jjnxn
½ January 12, 2011
This mint julep melodrama is a hooty delight. I suppose that at the time it was meant to shine a light on racial injustice but it just comes off as a overbaked soap opera. Preminger was the wrong director for such a piece of honeyed excess, this is the type of thing at which Douglas Sirk excelled and could make trenchant observations while still entertaining the masses. Still worth watching for the cast alone. Jane Fonda gives the most enjoyable performance even if her honeychile accent comes and goes. And even as a sharecropper's wife with four kids Faye Dunaway manages to look ravishing.
December 16, 2010
"An explosive film. Its young stars are dynamite!"

A ruthless up and coming Southerner (Michael Caine) is determined to buy up the tracts of land that border his land - one owned by his cousin, the other by a black man. Though the filmaker's intentions were good, the film was dismissed and lambasted by critics for being too simple and it's characters too full of racial stereotypes. It didn't help that it was released at the height of the civil rights movement. It is the 1st major motion picture with African American leading actors to be shot in the deep south, which lead to more controversy, including death threats.
In addition to Caine, the cast includes Jane Fonda, Burgess Meredith, Faye Dunaway (in her film debut), George Kennedy, Robert Reed (Mr. Brady on Brady Bunch), and Jim Backus (Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island).
Footage from this film of a young Michael Caine was later used in the film Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002).

Rose Scott: I was a white folks' nigger! You've got to fight!

Rose Scott: Sometin's ailin' you, Reeve.
Reeve Scott: No, Mama.
Rose Scott: Well, sometin's hasn't changed your mood since breakfast. Tell me.
Reeve Scott: Mama, you better dan anyo' dat radar dey had out in de Souf Pacific.
Rose Scott: I don' know nothin' 'bout radar, but I know when sometin's plaguin' ma chile.

[Rose is expecting Julie to pay her a visit]
Rose Scott: Lor' Almighty, there she is!
[A black friend enters with her grandfather]
Reeve Scott: Shucks. An' we thought it was white folks!

[Rose and Julie converse while Julie's child rests in Rose's arms]
Julie Ann Warren: Ah declare, Rose. Ah never saw him take to anyone like he does to you.
Rose Scott: Chillun' know who loves 'em.
Julie Ann Warren: Oh sometimes, Rose, Ah think you just about invented love.

[The bigoted Judge Purcell rebukes a white lawyer for his help to the black defendant]
Judge Purcell: Don't you rattle your skeleton in my court! Your being here at all constitutes a treachery to the entire white community that's too colossal to be believed!

Julie Ann Warren: It wasn't until I was ten years old that I realized that "damn" and "Yankee" were two separate words!
July 5, 2009
I will NOT see a Movie that has this Commie, Traitor, BITCH in it.
They don't have a LOW enough rating for her.
She can rot in the Hanoi Hilton, for what she did to Our troops during Vietnam.

BURN BITCH, BURN