The Hurt Locker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hurt Locker Reviews

May 19, 2017
I seriously don't get where this movie is heading to. The lead is courageous but then there's nothing much to the movie after that.
May 10, 2017
This wasn't a really good best picture winner, but there are a few moments here which makes this flick salvageable.
April 26, 2017
This is a truly great film, very fascinating
April 25, 2017
This is a well made and suspenseful movie. I'm not convinced about the hype surrounding it though. Still it should definately make your viewing list
½ April 4, 2017
This isn't on the same level as Black Hawk Down is but the Hurt Locker is still another thrilling, well-acted, and fairly original movie about the Iraq War which is definitely worth a watch.

This movie follows 3 soldiers in the Iraq War. They are trained to disarm bombs and they face the threat of death every day as anyone could try to kill them as seen in the beginning of the movie.

In most war films, armies face each other directly and battle. In this movie though, the enemy hides in plain sight and the soldiers have no way of knowing who can be trying to kill them. Often when they disarm bombs, several possibly dangerous people watch them and any one of them could try to kill them as is shown in the intro. This of course creates conflict between the troops and this movie explains some of the conflict that arises between them.

The scenes where they disarm bombs are very tense because the viewer knows that the bombs could go off at any second. This is made clear from the memorable opening scene. The movie also brings in factors which helps to raise tension even more. It shows several possibly dangerous onlookers, a man driving a taxi within the bomb site, and a man holding a remote which may possibly set off the bombs. The shootout scene near the middle isn't that impressive compared to other scenes in the movie In terms of originality and suspense but it doesn't take up too much time to begin with.

The acting is pretty good. Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, and Brian Geraghty were the main actors and they carried the movie well. They don't have too much of a variety in terms of their facial expressions and emotions but they still do their best in the movie and they show that they are talented actors.

A common problem found in many war films is the lack of character development. Like many other movies of the genre, this movie also suffers from that problem. The movie doesn't give us something big which makes us care for any of the characters. This is a common problem which arises in many war films nowadays and I hope that it will be fixed sometime in the future.

Despite the lack of character development, this is still a great war film which contains some pretty memorable and original scenes which hold a lot of tension often. It is definitely worth a watch and it is one of the better war films in recent memory.
½ March 19, 2017
As a portrayal of OIF, aka the 'War in Iraq", this is complete fiction. No loose cannon soldier would be tolerated by his peers or his command, he is simply too dangerous, too unreliable, and too much of a risk to be tolerated. Anyone who knows EOD personnel (I'm not EOD) knows they are adrenaline junkies, but they are not reckless, haphazard, or foolish. Additionally, the "episodes" especially the sniper scene, are laughable. This is fantasy garbage, if you are a civilian and want and insight into life of EOD, watch Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan. If you want to get a good sense of military service, try Citizen Soldier.

As for "intensely shot", really? Which scenes are well shot - interesting angles that evokes the narrative or feeling, editing or pacing that adds to the film - sorry can't recall any, even after being forced to see this 20 times by hoo-ha friends! This sucks.

Posted March 19, 2017 CIB and Star, V devices on B Star and ARCOM, Masterblaster, long and short tabs.
March 18, 2017
Kathryn Bigelow's movie is a portrait of the Iraq War. The acting is incredible as the plot. The storyline does not have many twists but at all times the movie causes tension in the viewer. War is a drug and we see that she does not leave the scene in no time. Despite being repetitive at a certain moment the film is engaging.
½ March 13, 2017
Almost perfect Iraq movie
March 8, 2017
Great military film with deep undertones
½ February 28, 2017
The movie really puts you in the middle of the Iraq War.
February 24, 2017
You want to see a movie that is designed to convince America's white trash how cool it is to be a cowboy-soldier? Welcome to war propaganda in The Hurt Locker. A "masterpiece" that will show future generations what went wrong at the beginning of the 21st century. Watch the movie and you will have an urgent need to wash yourself to get rid of the dirt that was put in front of you, War propaganda that could have been produced in Goebbel's ministry of silly walks.
February 22, 2017
I may not enjoy this movie like many others but during the 2 hours long movie watching, it really does not disappoint and certainly makes you on edge of seat most of the time.
February 16, 2017
Simply put, it's one of the most thrillingly alive films ever made. The suspense holds a cloud over the events; every moment of the film feels dangerous. Everyone is in danger, and no one can be trusted. In the all too real world of "The Hurt Locker", there's distrust and even tested bonds of brotherhood, as well as the limits of basic human forgiveness and understanding.

This isn't a war movie, persay. It's a movie about people in war; human beings tested to their absolute limit, and once they reach that limit, they're nothing shy of addicted and terrified in equal portion.
½ February 12, 2017
thought it was ok little borring in parts
January 27, 2017
Intense modern war movie about the Iraq War. It seems smaller and newer than what were used to (Saving Private Ryan) but no less interesting and investing. Kind of a character study, as well as a war drama. The acting was great and the cinematography and effects were great of course. Seems shorter than it was, in a good way. The end cereal scene was very simple but fantastic. Great end.
January 25, 2017
Real, human depiction of what will go down in history as the worst idea ever.(The Iraq war). Having watched it 4 times it is one of those movies that I will click on whenever it comes up on the dial.
½ January 18, 2017
Overhyped and already done.... but still, I watched it all.... unless you have an affinity for war movies or have never seen a Vietnam war movie you might be ok to skip this.
½ January 17, 2017
Not impressed at all by this. I think I was excited that Avatar lost, but this was just not a good movie. Up should have won. The characters, especially Jeremy Renner, are so unlikeable and they have Ralph Fiennes but then only give him like 5 minutes on screen. It relies a lot on Jeremy and he is just so stupid and unlikeable. He would never be a leader in the real life EOD crew.
½ January 14, 2017
What I remember of it was being enthralled. 8-9/10?
January 7, 2017
This movie is really powerful. I feel a tension behind everything throughout the movie that gets me invested and concerned for the characters. Interestingly both times I watched this movie were on flights to/from China.