The Hurt Locker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hurt Locker Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
Overhyped and already done.... but still, I watched it all.... unless you have an affinity for war movies or have never seen a Vietnam war movie you might be ok to skip this.
½ January 17, 2017
Not impressed at all by this. I think I was excited that Avatar lost, but this was just not a good movie. Up should have won. The characters, especially Jeremy Renner, are so unlikeable and they have Ralph Fiennes but then only give him like 5 minutes on screen. It relies a lot on Jeremy and he is just so stupid and unlikeable. He would never be a leader in the real life EOD crew.
½ January 14, 2017
What I remember of it was being enthralled. 8-9/10?
January 7, 2017
This movie is really powerful. I feel a tension behind everything throughout the movie that gets me invested and concerned for the characters. Interestingly both times I watched this movie were on flights to/from China.
January 1, 2017
Rating: 98%
The Hurt Locker has Jeremy Renner in his best role in his entire career, along with a suspense-filled screenplay and a handful of great supporting actors.
December 28, 2016
Rewatched this. Still as intensely captivating as the first time.
½ December 12, 2016
Gritty, Emotional, Thrilling picture of human turmoil
December 11, 2016
The Hurt Locker lacks a story, but it is a heavy examination in the junkie adrenaline man Jeremy Renner who plays a man that has an addiction to defusing bombs. It's nail biting suspense with a different perspective on war.
December 4, 2016
I was surprised how much I like this movie.
½ October 28, 2016
Excellently written characters, relentless directing, amazing acting, and a compelling story to keep you hooked from start to finish. The Hurt Locker is relentless in showing the gritty/dirty side of war that's been done before but yet feels fresh. I recommend this to action-film-fanatics and film buffs alike.
October 28, 2016
Renner gives a performance to remember. A soldier that loves the battlefield more than his family, a man who is fearless in the war zone, because of that, his sanity becomes questionable.
October 20, 2016
The best film of 2009.
October 20, 2016
On very rare occasions, you get a war movie that lets you enter the atmosphere of a war zone that gets your heart racing and lets you engage yourself. Kathryn Bigelow gives her crowning jewel of a movie, showing the power and turmoil of the Iraqi war. No special effects, no replicated set pieces, nothing fake about it. The action was real, the explosions were authentic, the acting was incredible, the suspense was amazing, everything about the movie was incredible. This is clearly the best movie Kathryn Bigelow has to offer.
September 11, 2016
This movie is my watermark for anything else I watch, characters are superbly developed, the acting is brilliant....it has some violence/gory bits...but it is not over the top, they are relevant to the situation. I have spent months/years looking for something that comes close, there are a couple, but they are few and far between.
September 1, 2016
I enjoyed the tension, the use of slow motion, and the subtle criticism of both war and machismo.
August 30, 2016
One of the best war movies ever. Starting a flawed yet heroic protagonist.
August 7, 2016
This movie will blow you away. Quite literally.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
A fantastic yet different take on a modern day war movie, Instead of fast paced action we get amazing suspense nearly the whole way through the film, Some amazing acting and a breakthrough performance by Jeremy Renner, It has small bits of action but it's not what you will remember about this film, The director takes us on an emotional rollercoaster with the lives of our heroes overseas and really makes us bond with the cast, It's almost the perfect modern day war film and can see why it won film of the year at the Oscars.
July 19, 2016
This isn't on the same level as Black Hawk Down is but the Hurt Locker is still another thrilling, well-acted, and fairly original movie about the Iraq War which is definitely worth a watch.

This movie follows 3 soldiers in the Iraq War. They are trained to disarm bombs and they face the threat of death every day as anyone could try to kill them as seen in the beginning of the movie.

In most war films, armies face each other directly and battle. In this movie though, the enemy hides in plain sight and the soldiers have no way of knowing who can be trying to kill them. Often when they disarm bombs, several possibly dangerous people watch them and any one of them could try to kill them as is shown in the intro. This of course creates conflict between the troops and this movie explains some of the conflict that arises between them.

The scenes where they disarm bombs are very tense because the viewer knows that the bombs could go off at any second. This is made clear from the memorable opening scene. The movie also brings in factors which helps to raise tension even more. It shows several possibly dangerous onlookers, a man driving a taxi within the bomb site, and a man holding a remote which may possibly set off the bombs. The shootout scene near the middle isn't that impressive compared to other scenes in the movie In terms of originality and suspense but it doesn't take up too much time to begin with.

The acting is pretty good. Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, and Brian Geraghty were the main actors and they carried the movie well. They don't have too much of a variety in terms of their facial expressions and emotions but they still do their best in the movie and they show that they are talented actors.

A common problem found in many war films is the lack of character development. Like many other movies of the genre, this movie also suffers from that problem. The movie doesn't give us something big which makes us care for any of the characters. This is a common problem which arises in many war films nowadays and I hope that it will be fixed sometime in the future.

Despite the lack of character development, this is still a great war film which contains some pretty memorable and original scenes which hold a lot of tension often. It is definitely worth a watch and it is one of the better war films in recent memory.
July 17, 2016
A grim but necessary look at the war.