The Hustler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hustler Reviews

August 20, 2015
A wonderful film not about pool but about, yes, character. Newman, Gleeson, Scott and Laurie all deliver indelible performances, seeping complex psychology and humanity into wonderful style.
½ August 10, 2015
At first I thought this was going to be happy-go-lucky con movie, not at all. The movie I thought was kinda boring/dull at first until the girl showed up from there it was almost overly depressing. I didn't really like the girl character-inclined to melancholy and bitterness. Sadly she was the most relatable character. I particularly hated that after she decides to sleep with his business manager in an act of almost revenge/surrender she kills herself-so selfish. Do I feel sorry for her-yes but I felt like she's the type of person to bring on her own misery. She Drank too much, felt Sorry for herself, and depended all
Her happiness on a gambling man-recipe for disaster. I could tell she was trouble from the start. Obvi scott was a creepy evil opportunist. Fast Eddie was a gambling addict-cocky and dumb. It was hard to relate to these characters and while I found there were some profound moments and redemption in the end it was hard to get into and kinda slow.
August 7, 2015
This fil is proof that Hollywood produced more in the 1950-60s than just colorful musicals.
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felsen, one of the character that made him famous and for which he could win an Oscar.
Piper Laurie as Oscar nominated plays the doomed love interest. Standout performances come from Jackie Gleason, breaking his Ralph Cramden persona to play a hustler, and most notably George C. Scott, as Newman's oily manager.
July 21, 2015
Awesome movie! Great acting, great story, great everything. t was very intriguing, very entertaining, and just fun to watch.
½ June 15, 2015
What a cast: Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Jackie Gleason, George C. Scott, Murray Hamilton. It's very much of its time, with its jazz score and kitchen sink melodrama. I hate kitchen sink melodrama, so, while I understand the importance of seeing this as a film fan, ultimately it's not for me.
May 31, 2015
The power of Robert Rossen's realistic depiction of obsession, addiction and arrogance has only grown more intense with time. Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and Piper Laurie deliver performances so ahead of their time and the level of surprising tension is almost unrelenting. A perfect movie.
May 20, 2015
Arguably the greatest sports movie ever, this film quickly devolves into a dark character study of a rolling stone pool shark subconsciously hellbent on destroying himself and the few who love him, including a fragile alcoholic cripple with delusions of romance.
½ May 5, 2015
A solid, engrossing drama/'sports' film - if you call snooker/pool a sport! Newman is great as Fast Eddie, an young up & comer, using his charm to hustle/fool chumps out of their money - until he can't beat Minnesota Fats (Gleason). He then spends the rest of the film soul-searching with Sarah (Laurie), focused solely on the re-match. It deviates slightly from the novel - particularly with Sarah - and the film is, as always, not quite as good as the book. Very worthwhile - well shot, staged and acted.
April 12, 2015
I'm reminded of when I was a young teenager. There was a narrow, dead-end alleyway sandwiched between two tall buildings. Men would always hang around there in the shadows swearing, spitting, smoking cigarettes, selling drugs, and flirting with every woman who walked by. At the end of the alley was a door leading to a pool hall and arcade. I was allowed in because they didn't serve alcohol. It was a seedy, smoke-filled bar without the bar. The whole thing was a rectangle room and at the back end there was an exit only door with nothing obstructing its view of the sunshine. Walking through the dark, crowded alley, through the pool hall with its depressed and cynical atmosphere, then emerging with the bright sunlight in my eyes was like walking through another world. An adult world that seemed both lifeless and filled with life because it was so real and so hard for me to understand at such a young age. I saw many Fast Eddies at that pool hall. Expert pool players with a losers luck.
March 29, 2015
Nearly 3 stars. With modern eyes this film suffers.
March 7, 2015
With an exceptional cast - most especially Paul Newman and Piper Laurie in outstanding performances -, this is a profoundly compelling and richly complex character study about an arrogant, self-destructive anti-hero in search of his own "character" and finding it in a most painful way.
½ February 25, 2015
Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is an eager pool shark who openly displays his weaknesses when he's crushed in a match against Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason). An alcoholic writer (Piper Laurie) tries to get him on the right track, but Eddie can't help but be tempted by the easy money offered by a pro gambler (George C. Scott). The Hustler is a nuanced and affecting character study that features some powerful (yet understated) performances by Newman and Gleason. It's hard to believe that such an emotionally complicated movie was the result of a traditional Hollywood studio of the early 1960's.
½ February 22, 2015
Eddie Nelson also know as Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is the best pool hustler around. He plays fast, thinks fast, and wins big and has the personality to boot. Unfortunately for him like most gamblers, win or lose, he does not know when to quit. The Hustler encapsulates a sports movie and a gambling movie in one, starting with good times, the collapse, injury and the rise. Paul Newman made this movie and featured some a decent supporting cast.
February 10, 2015
Would never have been interested in a Tom cruise movie if not for this. The color of money
February 8, 2015
-IGNORE THIS RATING
4/4
Superb adaptation of Walter Tevis's novel about a hustling pool player challenging the legendary Minnesota Fats (Gleason). Vivid and completely absorbing, with Newman outstanding as "Fast" Eddie. Art Direction-Set Decoration, and Eugen Schüfftan's cinematography won well deserved Oscars.
½ January 26, 2015
Edgy for its time, this movie makes you long for a different era in our time. Newman, Gleason, and Scott give superior performances in this dark movie delving deep into the poison of greed. Although there were some very slow times in the movie, it kept my attention until the redeeming resolution of "Fast Eddie".
January 25, 2015
One of the all-time great classics. Great dialogue, great direction, plus great acting, cinematography and film score make this a great, timeless film.

Eddie Felson is such a trainwreck that it truly is impossible to feel empathy for him. He takes perfect opportunities to win and turns them into disasters. Perfectly self destructive behavior of the first order. So, naturally, he hooks up with Piper Laurie's character Sarah, who does nothing but drink all day. However, we quickly learn that Sarah has much more soul and humanity than Eddie could over hope to have.

Robert Rossen's writing and direction are first rate. Eugen Schüfftan's cinematography features beautiful compositions and great black & white contrast. One of the highlights for me was getting to see the cities, trains and places of that time. Kenyon Hopkins' jazz score provides excellent background for the sleezy goings-on.

Given what a great movie this is, it was so disappointing that Martin Scorsese turned Felson and the pool shark story into such a routine, mannered and just plain run-of-the-mill movie like 1986's "The Color of Money."

Definitely skip that, but please see "The Hustler!"
January 21, 2015
Wow!!! What an incredibly good movie. They don't make them like this any more. Fabulous acting, great story.
January 20, 2015
No es tan mala como la pintaban las criticas , pero tampoco es una magnifica pela , en fin un film de suspenso que cumple su cometido , asi me quedo con la version original de los cincuentas que es incomparabe y en blanco y negro.
January 19, 2015
#236 - After watching the Hollywood blockbuster dribble from Spielberg, you cant help but admire the beauty of this simple black and white gem. Paul Newman is nothing but class and a great turn from both Jackie Gleason and George C Scott. Seems strange that Newman's only Oscar came for playing the same role in a different film 25 years later