Hype! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hype! Reviews

August 9, 2014
(First viewing - Summer 2004)
December 30, 2013
An excellent documentary combined with an amazing soundtrack. "Hype!" will bring anyone, grunge fan or not, into the movie and never want to leave.
April 14, 2013
É tudo o que se podia esperar de um documentário sobre o assunto.
December 31, 2012
What musical movement doesn't get commercialized? This doc could have been way longer but serves it's purpose. At least it was cool to grow up in these times.
December 22, 2012
Interesting documentary about the "grunge" music scene in Seattle.
November 17, 2012
Fairly boring documentary on the grunge music scene. It was made too late in the game.
½ July 9, 2012
This film was a good overview of the rise and fall of the grunge scene, and my only issue with the film was that a lot of the local bands showcased here just weren't that good. Then again, maybe I was expecting more mainstream bands to take center stage.
June 27, 2012
Our local record store helped sponsor the Grunge Fest featured in this doc, with Mudhoney, Melvins, Pond, Seaweed, Jimmies, and the kid with the ear plugs stuffed up his nose; all live in Longview, Washington, 1993. How could we have known grunge would not be big much longer...
June 3, 2012
best music Documentary film ever!!!
May 21, 2012
½ April 28, 2012
Interesting look into what happened in the Seattle grunge scene, while the hype was still going strong. Required viewing for fans of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, MoyherLoveBone...
½ November 27, 2011
Kiinnostava aihe, hyvä dokkarikin. Vaikka tämmösiltä dokkareilta toivoisin vähemmän musiikkia ja enemmän asiaa.
November 26, 2011
Its documentation of the grunge explosion of the early 90s is by turns conversational, jovial and flippant, but by the end we feel a sadness at how a vital, influential culture was born in response to a mass culture only to be killed off, vampirically, by that same culture.
November 10, 2011
A very cool piece of music history I knew nothing about. Who knew so many great bands emerged from Seattle around the same time, including the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden.
June 14, 2011
Great documentary film.
½ June 9, 2011
This movie is sooooooo great. Makes me feel like a kid again. I say "Fuck" and you say "Yeah!"
½ June 9, 2011
Hype!; a movie that documents the start of Grunge. I thought that it was kind of funny how this whole scene was started because the weather in Seattle is horrible so people wanted to find something that they could do inside, make music. As the film progressed they showed concert footage of different bands from the movement, but what really got to me was that they looked down on success from bands that transferred to mainstream and started to make money. I personally did not like that they would complain about it, you can still like them even if everyone in America does too, you just happen to be one of the first people to know who they were before they became famous.
February 22, 2011
loved this..lots of seattle bands in this....well-made documentary, a must see!
February 13, 2011
A well made documentary having a smart inside look about the great music of grunge. Or is that what they call it?
February 12, 2011
The title says it all. Not to take the artistic creativity from the artists, the media and record industry just don't exists without sales...and money, or chasing the 'Golden Calf' is really what the 'Hype' is...from Beethoven to BubbleGum,,,from Goo Goo to GaGa....