Hype! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hype! Reviews

February 5, 2011
Interesting documentary about the "grunge" music scene in Seattle.
January 17, 2011
i can't escape the common rule.
November 28, 2010
A great documentary about the rise of "Grunge" in the '90s. It has some great interviews with bands from that period and it features some of the godfathers of Grunge, people that watched it evolve from the very beginning. Also, it has a great soundtrack.
September 26, 2010
Tinha começado a ver este documentário sobre o grunge de Seattle há uns anos e (caquético como estou) não me lembrava se o tinha visto até ao fim ou não. Bem, hoje vi-o todo e é muito bom.
½ September 17, 2010
A splendid look at the rise of the grunge scene from its early roots in Seattle to the days where it became a staple in fashion, appearing in the catalogs of every major fashion retailer and the runways of every fashion show in the country, ultimately ending at the untimely death of Kurt Cobain. You will see many bands in this doc that may have never heard, unless you followed the grunge scene closely like a hawk, all showcasing the loud and noisy excitement that the style brought out. It praises the musicians for bringing out a new movement in music, but as every trend, shows how an undying from the media and the trendy public take something individual and genuine and convert it into a staple of obsession to fit in with the rest. From the mouths of the musicians themselves, they never bought into the "hype." This showcases that when ti comes to any scene or style, its not the look or where you bought the clothes from, or who you're trying to emulate with them, it has always been and always will be about one thing, the music.
½ August 26, 2010
an amazing documentry about the grunge explosion of the early 90's which was basically when alternative rock entered the mainstreem.
i truly love this movie because i am huge grunge fan, but for those who are less connected with grunge, well be less connected to the movie.
August 4, 2010
Great synopsis of the Seattle scene, the locals take on it and the nations's take. Is a little odd to see so much of Eddie Vedder as the indie voice tho..but some good tunes by some less exposed bands.
July 20, 2010
I'm on a rock doc kick at the moment and it's been about a decade since I watched this film. We used to watch this film all the time in high school.

shit.

I've dated myself.

Anyways, if you like music and you remember the 90s, this movie is a must see. Is grunge 'retro' yet? I think it might be time to get the band back together...

Up next. Reality Bites!
July 3, 2010
Flash back to the days of the uni bar and covers by local bands in my area. I never saw the real deal during their dizzying heights, but I have great memories of some bastardised version and it was hilarious to see just how that phase boiled down to grungewash. Things like band members when photographed for interviews couldn't even wear their own clothes, they were provided with a sanitised version of their clothes that would then be marketed with the article. My favourite line was that they thought maybe in 20 years they would be playing in bands doing R&B... They guy who said that must have had a crystal ball about what the music execs would make 'hip' in the future.
½ June 9, 2010
The songs in this documentary weren't the best choice, but the interviews were excellent. This wonderful documentary critiscizes the rise and fall of the Seattle music scene, explaining how an underground garage-rock movement in the remote Pacific Northwest became a major cultural force around the world in 1991. Excellent archival concert footage of Sub Pop bands is mixed with insightful interviews with grunge artists, indie scenesters and record label heads.
½ April 27, 2010
A must see for anyone that experienced the rise and fall of the grunge movement, amazing bands and amazing live performances by the bands of the era including the first ever live performance of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Awesome movie that will definitely bring back alot of memories.
½ April 6, 2010
Some may say the Seatle grunge sceen was the last great music movement. I agree... this movie resparked the love for me. I was about 13 during the "hype" so this is a sweet spot for me. You almost feel the progression of the sceen as the doc goes on. The music at first is obscure then nirvanna and sound garden hits and your in! I started thinking of other movements (english invasion, classic rock etc.). This movie is a little time capsule and some times you need to get a little distance away from some thing to realize it significance. It also shows how commericalization ruins art.
April 4, 2010
First saw this doc in college...on VHS! Even better now. Chronicles the rise of Seattle music from the mid-80's to the global "grunge" phenomenon. Insightful interviews with bands, early label pioneers, and fans of this overly simplified, yet musically diversed subculture of America. Rent it ...or You Tube it if necessary. Good shit!
March 10, 2010
Along with "American Hardcore" and "Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years," this movie paints an amazing portrait of the evolution of rock music throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. Each movie showcases a different facet of the overall rock culture, from musicians who were influenced to be rebellious and counter-cultural, to musicians who jumped headfirst into the tide of what was becoming popular.

"Hype!" shows '80s/'90s-era Seattle in all its eccentricity. Why did this one out-of-the-way city suddenly come to represent an entire musical movement? How did it come to define the direction of rock music for an entire decade? If the '60s-era rock musicians were shaped by social change and protest against the national culture, then the '90s-era "grunge rockers" were shaped first by a sense of protest against the mainstream music scene, and then...like a sort of tragedy...the entire area became a brand itself, the mass-marketed "Seattle Music Scene," a generic flavor thrust upon the country just the same as Seattle's coffee industry.

Overall, it's a fascinating story, and "Hype!" is able to piece together some very interesting interviews in order to clearly show how the city went from Outcast to Edgy New Sound to Pop Music.
February 3, 2010
Required viewing for fans of grunge music, this is just an extremely well-made documentary. Filled with candid, insightful interviews and incredible music, it's an evocative portrait of a wild phase in rock music. As someone who loves grunge, I was captivated by this film.
February 3, 2010
A great documentary of Seattle and the grunge music scene in the early 1990s. Interviews with local unknown Seattle bands, world famous grunge bands and record producers and engineers of the scene all come together in this documentary. It shows the side of the grunge scene that was not publicized and tells how the people involved felt about the scene before, during and after.
½ January 20, 2010
Hype! is a quick chronicle of grunge in Seattle. It was filmed not at all long after Cobain's suicide, and honestly, doesn't quite have the perspective or pride that we may hold in the scene today. Most of the participants are the Seattle natives, the underground bands who remained underground while their friends scaled the heights. It's got an air of hostility still from people who saw they're home boom with a cultural zeitgeist that rarely ever occurs. The people interviewed largely got annoyed at the absurdity of it all and with Cobain's suicide, surely gave up the possibility of having something nice.

There was the guy who was pretending to destroy rare concert posters. The guy surrounded by his historical photographs. The guy with the clearest head, with the sanest perspective on Seattle was probably Eddie Vedder. Funny because his success should have made his perspective inflated. Doubly hysterical because he's not even a native. Pearl Jam implanted him from San Diego!

It's not a historical documentary, retelling the innovators one by one. If there was an "inventor" of the Seattle sound, no one copped to it. If someone coined the term "grunge", we didn't learn about it here. That's my only complaint. Is that there was too much complaining in the movie. That's what I listen to the music for...
January 17, 2010
Awesome. The film overall has the ability to be viewed and enjoyed repeatedly (if you love this type of music, of course), and I loved Peter Bagge's "Hate" cartoon in the DVD special features.
January 1, 2010
Hands down my most favorite movie on Seattle and their grunge music. Finally, someone got the honest opinions of the musicians/residents that had to go through all of this. Very insightful. Love the music.
TobiasXimenez
October 11, 2009
Add a review (optional)...