Hypnotisören (The Hypnotist) Reviews

• Apr 26, 2019

one of the worst swedish movies i have seen. melodramatic no chemistry with the actors . biggest waste of 122 minutes

• Jul 16, 2016

A well acted film, which is slow in parts. My predictions for where the film was leading was probably a better storyline, although a dramatic beginning and ending make this worth a watch

• Mar 25, 2016

One of the less good Scandinavian movies...the story is pretty poor and seems too constructed and the acting is wooden

• Mar 21, 2015

A very good film, perhaps not an easy watch, but the ambition runs much higher than that. The film is actually most satisfactory in its simple intelligence. which includes that it knows it limits in what it can say, or how it can say it, in kind of "polite company". (Meaning any kind of modern culture, I suppose). Actually, I realise, in the end this is indeed a very good film, and surprisingly memorable beyond the dark, mainly urban backdrop which one believes one will never remember visually. That in itself is a great device, for what one does or can identify or recall from this film are the brief pointer elements, or hints of social meaning. Hypnotherapy, psychology, hypnosis outside of hypnotherapy. The film quietly whispers upon the viewer, perhaps during the film but perhaps afterwards also, that methods of producing results might be there to be used by whoever desires their own results, in very varied ways.

• Jan 15, 2015

Understated, moody, un-commercial, well made with no gimmicks. I found this engaged me from the start who good character building whilst it went a little flat in the middle I was hooked, I wanted know more. Then out of the ordinariness of it all came a shock that was reinforced repeatedly, it took me a while to accept it. The ending had me gripped with tension it did what not many movies do today which held my attention to the end.

• Nov 24, 2014

This slow burner from Lasse Hallstrom has all the hallmarks of modern Swedish films, unglamorous, and shot in green greys it is the story of a psychiatrist brought in by the police to help solve a murder who then has... welll, if I told you it would spoil it... But as the film builds to a conclusion there is a hypnotised scene which recreates Wyeth's painting Christina's World and the denouement on the ice is literally chilling. IT doesn't seem to have had a cinema release but do see it if you get the chance.

• Jul 24, 2014

Disappointing film adaption. But then again it would've been impossible turn such a large sprawling book into a satisfying 2 hr film.

• Jul 22, 2014

Decent story and gripping parts. But half way through the movie it got really boring and nothing happens and case just didn't move. Interesting to find out if the book will keep me interested instead.

• Jul 20, 2014

A bad novel adaptation which anniquilates all the charm of the hypnosis moments of the book.

• Jun 07, 2014

The Nordic chilly vibes still strikes but overall just predictable & dragging overlong.